Scotch or Irish Whiskey (90 minute thread) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Scotch or Irish Whiskey (90 minute thread)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I saw it yesterday and forgot to buy it. Was not terribly expensive - but it’s Westland American Oak. Westlake American Oak, oddly enough, is a line of bedroom furniture and is considerably more expensive.

The timeline has shifted.

Oh good. What do you like? Peat? Sherry cask? What is your budget?

Springbank 10 or 12 cask strength are very nice.
Talisker 10 is malty with lighter peat. The Talisker Distiler’s Edition is similar but then aged in wine casks.
For something peaty, Ardbeg Uigeadail is superb

Reaction Score
Kikland 4 YR old
Costco

Excellent and soo low priced. Switched from Powers
This is hilarious because its true. Wife has a Costco account, bought a big bottle for a birthday party and damn it was good. And inexpensive. I've heard the vodka is also good (not a vodka drinker)

Reaction Score
i put my name on the Blanton's rotating wait list today at one of the two local stores that tries to stock it. They said they typically get 1-2 bottles per week (seems odd, but whatever). I'm #52 on the list. It may be "much more common than you think" where you live. If so, PM me and I'll happily pay you to send me a few bottles!
Stew Leonard's used to ALWAYS have Blantons in stock. But to be honest I haven't checked in months. I'll look out for it next week

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just thought of another option that's neither Scotch nor Irish nor bourbon, if it's available: Westlake American Oak. I had this at The Whisky Bar in Seattle three years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Pricey though.

Again, it’s Westland.

But don’t skip past this recommendation.

I managed to grab a bottle locally this week and tried a bit last night....absolutely worth it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Again, it’s Westland.

But don’t skip past this recommendation.

I managed to grab a bottle locally this week and tried a bit last night....absolutely worth it.

If you like Westland, you might like Balcones. Similar profile, American malt whiskey from Texas.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
My father in law just brought over a bottle of kavalan whisky. Pretty damn smooth.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you like Westland, you might like Balcones. Similar profile, American malt whiskey from Texas.

I've learned that I am just not that fussy.

But I still really dislike bourbon.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I've learned that I am just not that fussy.

But I still really dislike bourbon.
I have two bottles of bourbon that hate you.

Reaction Score
Agreed.

But don't sleep on the 11-year Nick Offerman Edition. Very good.
I haven't tried that one yet. Thanks for the recommendation. I also really like Oban 14. This is an edit, I originally said Oban 12.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I tried it - and yes, I liked it.

People are sleeping on both of those. Really, really good.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I tried it - and yes, I liked it.

People are sleeping on both of those. Really, really good.

Privateer up here in Massachusetts made one that is similar, but not as good as their rums. While I think the Westland is pretty solid (the peated was meh, sherry probably best) and Balcones too, they are still a little young but have character. I like that American malt whiskey isn't mimicking Scotch or Irish.

Reaction Score
Just received a bottle of Lagavulin 16 for my birthday!! I have a good brother. :)

Reaction Score
Just seeing this thread now. Went to Dublin in September and had Writer's Tears. Bought a bottle of Red Head on the way home. Man that went quick.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom