Scoring Patterns | The Boneyard

Scoring Patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Last evening, I noted that the underclassmen (class woman) even discounting KLM were scoring a majority of the points and this trend might well effect subbing patterns, playing time et al.
For this exercise, I put KLM into the upper-class baileywich leaving a frosh/soph group of
Stew, Mo, Tuck, Bri and Stokes.

Tonight, that group scored 46, 0f the 81 points. (if my counting on my fingers is accurate).
One might argue that Stewie distorts the sample with her unique ability but I have left KLM for the other side both to even things out and because in most respects she plays like an upper-class star.

Still KLM, Farris, Doty, Dolson, Buck and Hartley accounted for 35 points (43%)

And for the second night the kids prevailed with 57% of the point total.

This may turn out to not mean anything at all, or have significant ramifications as the season progresses.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Last evening, I noted that the underclassmen (class woman) even discounting KLM were scoring a majority of the points and this trend might well effect subbing patterns, playing time et al.
For this exercise, I put KLM into the upper-class baileywich leaving a frosh/soph group of
Stew, Mo, Tuck, Bri and Stokes.

Tonight, that group scored 46, 0f the 81 points. (if my counting on my fingers is accurate).
One might argue that Stewie distorts the sample with her unique ability but I have left KLM for the other side both to even things out and because in most respects she plays like an upper-class star.

Still KLM, Farris, Doty, Dolson, Buck and Hartley accounted for 35 points (43%)

And for the second night the kids prevailed with 57% of the point total.

This may turn out to not mean anything at all, or have significant ramifications as the season progresses.

Two things.

1. Lewis is not an upperclassman. We get to watch her almost 3 more years. It just shows what an incredibly talented the sophmore and freshman classes are.

2. Hartley scored 1 point. As the games go on, she will start to score her 12-15 points per game. And Dolson had an off night with 4 points.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Doggy, I lumped Lewis arbitrarily with the upper-class group to account for her much greater responsibility now as well a playing time and accomplishments last season.

My point is, even excluding her, for the last two nights, the other sophs and frosh listed above, outscored the rest of the team and i wonder if this trend will continue and if so what will be the ramifications.

Obviously if KLM is included in her correct context, then it is likely that that group will almost always score 60-70% of the total. Taking her away leaves the less experienced sophs and the 3 newbies.

If someone can point me to a statistics archive, I can check if this phenomenon is unusual for a Geno coached team or if it has regularly occurred...and, before I do that, perhaps it might be a good idea to wait 3 or 4 more games to see if this continues.

Reaction Score
Not sure what your "significant ramifications" are, but underclassman doing the majority of the scoring isn't unusual at all for UConn. It happened just last season when 3 of the top 4 scorers were underclassmen, and a number of other times in the past 15 years. How many times depends on how redshirt sophomores are counted. If Shea counts as an underclassmen then they scored 77% of the points in 98-99, which would be the high water mark. If Shea doesn't count then there have been other years including last season that had a higher% than 98-99.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Last night the under classmen played 115 minutes, the upper classmen played 85. That might have something to do with the "skewed" scoring.

Why does it matter?

Stats, including archives, are available on the UConn site

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Last night the under classmen played 115 minutes, the upper classmen played 85. That might have something to do with the "skewed" scoring.

Why does it matter?

Stats, including archives, are available on the UConn site

Just what I was going note, vtc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members