Scoring in the red zone remains an issue for Huskies (Fuller) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Scoring in the red zone remains an issue for Huskies (Fuller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Easy on the "continually". The drop was not even mentioned on this board until the "Board hate" post. I like NT and think he'll be a great pro. Again, there's no question NT has saved Shirreffs' bacon more than a few times this year.

But there's an issue that NT is being thrown to too much. He's double and sometimes triple covered. Do you think that's Shirreffs fault? I think that is a playcalling/coaching issue more than a kid issue.
You think the coaches are telling him to throw in to triple coverage?

Reaction Score
You think the coaches are telling him to throw in to triple coverage?

Well, the coaches are the same ones telling him to hand off to RJ three straight times at the goal line or in any clutch situation when we all know what the end result will likely be. Verducci/etc. bear some blame for this.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
As mentioned yesterday, all this theoretical talk about checking down, going through progressions and stuff is wonderful. But if you have someone in your grill in 3-4 seconds, kinda hard to this.
Shirreffs is actually pretty good if he has 3-4 seconds of protection. His problem is he uses those 3-4 seconds to wait for his main target to get open and he tends not to throw the ball until the receiver exits his break.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
But there's an issue that NT is being thrown to too much. He's double and sometimes triple covered. Do you think that's Shirreffs fault?
I believe without question it is Shirreffs fault. Any of the plays in question had to have two or three options. Unfortunately for us on those plays BS acted as if NT was the only eligible receiver.

There are plays

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Maybe both teams should agree prior to kickoff that TDs are illegal, thereby taking the pressure off each offense to score any. Once you feel you're close enough, let those FG attempts fly!

Reaction Score
The fact that they're emphasizing this now is amazing to me. You spend every last third of practice in high school working in the red zone....

Look, doesn't handing the ball off deep in your backfield over and over again in the red zone the last third of practice constitute practice? Albeit really bad practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom