Scoring in the red zone remains an issue for Huskies (Fuller) | The Boneyard

Scoring in the red zone remains an issue for Huskies (Fuller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The fact that they're emphasizing this now is amazing to me. You spend every last third of practice in high school working in the red zone....

Reaction Score
The fact that they're emphasizing this now is amazing to me. You spend every last third of practice in high school working in the red zone....

I see this as BD just saying what people want him to say. Just like the week he said they will practice more long passes after BS missed the open receivers. Hot topic du jour.

Reaction Score
I see this as BD just saying what people want him to say. Just like the week he said they will practice more long passes after BS missed the open receivers. Hot topic du jour.

I sure hope so

Reaction Score
I sure hope so

Hey, I could be 100% wrong but I think one of the steady writers would have picked up on that before today. I don't remember anyone writing that they never see the team practice red zone plays (and each and every practice is open during the year).

Reaction Score
“We need to have multiple (options),” Diaco said. “Chucking the ball to Noel 11 times in a row didn’t work so we need to have some other options.”

Again, speaking as if he has no influence on what plays are chosen. Ugh.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
“We need to have multiple (options),” Diaco said. “Chucking the ball to Noel 11 times in a row didn’t work so we need to have some other options.”

I think it has more to do with how many options the guy on the field with the ball in his hands is willing to consider.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Yes but if Shirreffs only goes to his safety blanket or runs, then the play call doesn't matter (not that there isn't room for improvement in both).

Reaction Score
I think it has more to do with how many options the guy on the field with the ball in his hands is willing to consider.

Complete bullspit. A tight end has not been targeted in the red zone pretty much all season long.

Reaction Score
Yes but if Shirreffs only goes to his safety blanket or runs, then the play call doesn't matter (not that there isn't room for improvement in both).

There's exactly one red zone play I can think of where BS may, may have been at fault -- the 4th down option at Syracuse. You know, the one that came after three R.J. dives.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
There's exactly one red zone play I can think of where BS may, may have been at fault -- the 4th down option at Syracuse. You know, the one that came after three R.J. dives.
Not trying to pile on, he just has very clear tendencies. But 100% playcalling need to be better, they turtle up way too often on the calls the closer they get to the goal line.

Reaction Score
Not trying to pile on, he just has very clear tendencies. But 100% playcalling need to be better, they turtle up way too often on the calls the closer they get to the goal line.

Agreed on the last part. . . . .as suggested elsewhere, would love to see the old-fashioned Lee Grosscup jump pass to a TE inside the 5. Given the 8,9 in box others Ds are playing seems that 9 80 or 86 would be open

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Wow, a Lee Grosscup reference. It brings back fond memories of the old Hartford Knights at Dillon Stadium. I can also still see him in his ABC blazer announcing CFB games with Keith Jackson in the 1970's.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Complete bullspit. A tight end has not been targeted in the red zone pretty much all season long.
Shirreffs stares down one receiver (almost always Thomas) on nearly every pass play and at the hint of some pressure tucks and runs. That may be on the QB coach for not developing him but it is not the play calling.

Reaction Score
There's exactly one red zone play I can think of where BS may, may have been at fault...

One play all year? Utter bullspit! You want to be his on-line guardian angel go for it... but people here aren't dumb (obstinate maybe, but not dumb).

Aganst UCF "Bryant Shirreffs was 1-for-6 in the red zone (1-for-10 if you count the four passes from the 21). UConn has 10 touchdowns in 25 trips to the red zone this season, the third-worst percentage in the nation (Rutgers is 7-for-18, SMU 11-for-30). UConn has an 80.29 passer rating in the red zone this season. Only Purdue (78.33) and Georgia Tech (76.40) are worse."

Reaction Score
One play all year? Utter bullspit! You want to be his on-line guardian angel go for it... but people here aren't dumb (obstinate maybe, but not dumb).

Aganst UCF "Bryant Shirreffs was 1-for-6 in the red zone (1-for-10 if you count the four passes from the 21). UConn has 10 touchdowns in 25 trips to the red zone this season, the third-worst percentage in the nation (Rutgers is 7-for-18, SMU 11-for-30). UConn has an 80.29 passer rating in the red zone this season. Only Purdue (78.33) and Georgia Tech (76.40) are worse."

Wasn't clear. Meant targeting someone other than Noel who is triple covered. . . .before UCF how many throws in red zone? I know you have that number somewhere.

Reaction Score
One play all year? Utter bullspit! You want to be his on-line guardian angel go for it..

You already stated BS is No. 3 reason why team is 3-5. I say a competent 21st century OC flips that number, if not 6-2.

And if Noel doesn't drop that ball, he's 2-for-6 in the RZ.

Reaction Score
Shirreffs stares down one receiver (almost always Thomas) on nearly every pass play and at the hint of some pressure tucks and runs. That may be on the QB coach for not developing him but it is not the play calling.

As mentioned yesterday, all this theoretical talk about checking down, going through progressions and stuff is wonderful. But if you have someone in your grill in 3-4 seconds, kinda hard to this.

Reaction Score
There's exactly one red zone play I can think of where BS may, may have been at fault...

Wasn't clear. Meant targeting someone other than Noel who is triple covered. . . .before UCF how many throws in red zone? I know you have that number somewhere.

Ohhh hyperbole ;). I actually don't without going back and looking @ each game's play by play summary (which are available) but I do remember an Alec Bloom TD pass. That's why I wish there were more "non-football dept. staff" people who tracked the program closer so the data would be more readily available (like the YTD BS pass chart I mentioned in another thread). People see what they want to see... facts help. Without knowing what the actual play call was - it's harder to say where the problem was. You might be able to decipher some by formation/movement but not always.

To your other comment - I didn't say he was the third reason why the team is 3-5. You stated the QB plays wasn't even in the top 10 of the reasons why. I listed 4 reasons (OL, Secondary, QB, Decision-making/play calling) and said people can re-order them however they like. The pinch points are multiple.

Reaction Score
Ohhh hyperbole ;). I actually don't without going back and looking @ each game's play by play summary (which are available) but I do remember an Alec Bloom TD pass. That's why I wish there were more "non-football dept. staff" people who tracked the program closer so the data would be more readily available (like the YTD BS pass chart I mentioned in another thread). People see what they want to see... facts help. Without knowing what the actual play call was - it's harder to say where the problem was. You might be able to decipher some by formation/movement but not always.

To your other comment - I didn't say he was the third reason why the team is 3-5. You stated the QB plays wasn't even in the top 10 of the reasons why. I listed 4 reasons (OL, Secondary, QB, Decision-making/play calling) and said people can re-order them however they like. The pinch points are multiple.

My bad. thought you meant QB was No. 3 reason.

You might know this. Are the games that were on CBS Sports archived somewhere as the ones on ESPN3's are? There is a UConn-Navy tape floating around on YouTube, but don't have one for Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Two words---- Use the freaking tight ends in the red zone.

We have one TD to a tight end and that was in garbage time against USF. This staff misses the obvious so often it's mind blowing.

Reaction Score
My bad. thought you meant QB was No. 3 reason.

You might know this. Are the games that were on CBS Sports archived somewhere as the ones on ESPN3's are? There is a UConn-Navy tape floating around on YouTube, but don't have one for Syracuse.

"tcf's stuff" tab (top of page under BY logo)

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
As mentioned yesterday, all this theoretical talk about checking down, going through progressions and stuff is wonderful. But if you have someone in your grill in 3-4 seconds, kinda hard to this.
Three to four seconds is quite a bit of time for this (look up the averages at any level of play). There were not many pass plays against UCF where pressure was the issue.

You continually bring up the one mistake Thomas made. Why aren't you equally forthcoming with credit to Thomas for the (at least) three catches he made where he saved BS from a horrible throw?

Reaction Score
Three to four seconds is quite a bit of time for this (look up the averages at any level of play). There were not many pass plays against UCF where pressure was the issue.

You continually bring up the one mistake Thomas made. Why aren't you equally forthcoming with credit to Thomas for the (at least) three catches he made where he saved BS from a horrible throw?

Easy on the "continually". The drop was not even mentioned on this board until the "Board hate" post. I like NT and think he'll be a great pro. Again, there's no question NT has saved Shirreffs' bacon more than a few times this year.

But there's an issue that NT is being thrown to too much. He's double and sometimes triple covered. Do you think that's Shirreffs fault? I think that is a playcalling/coaching issue more than a kid issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom