Score prediction thread for UCONN playoffs first game | The Boneyard

Score prediction thread for UCONN playoffs first game

Reaction Score
Our first game will be against EITHER Memphis or Tulsa. Here's a curve ball (relatively rare in basketball) for you, but only if you folks think it would be fun/interesting to take a cut at it; perhaps more a change of pace than a curve.
Since we aren't sure now just which of those two teams will advance to go against us, who among you would want to make the usual (winner, MOV, exact score) predictions at this point without knowing whether you're facing the # 8 or # 9 seed ; and, how many of you would rather just wait and have me run the thread as usual once either Tulsa or Memphis has advanced?
Your call entirely. You usually get about 1600-2500 views per game on these threads and on up to the 3-4000 range for big games), and usually run about 60-80 actual posts, on up to 150 and on up for the hot games. Am thinking of waiting until we get preferences back on here from about 30 of you with the majority determining how we run the first playoff thread. Usual or change of pace? Your thoughts and preferences?

Reaction Score
You seem totally confident that UConn will win and that no one would pick the opponent to win (except Meyers7 :) ). I would agree with that assumption. But since you require the forecaster to predict the winner, and you took away Meyers massive win against Tulane for this minor oversight, I think you have to wait to know the opponent. :p

Reaction Score
A question, please: Are we calling the winner of Memphis/Tulsa and then the points, or just the points? The former would be more logical, the latter more random.

Reaction Score
To make it even more interesting, do it now, but in addition to MOV and score, require that the opponent also be named. If you pick the wrong opponent you're out of contention. That makes it like an exacta bet where you need to get two picks correct in order to win.

Reaction Score
A question, please: Are we calling the winner of Memphis/Tulsa and then the points, or just the points? The former would be more logical, the latter more random.
The former would be a better contest.

Reaction Score
I think so, too. you'd have to pick the winning opponent and then the score. It makes more sense because you might feel the score would be quite different, depending on the opponent.

Reaction Score
You seem totally confident that UConn will win and that no one would pick the opponent to win (except Meyers7 :) ). I would agree with that assumption. But since you require the forecaster to predict the winner, and you took away Meyers massive win against Tulane for this minor oversight, I think you have to wait to know the opponent. :p

CT TRAN: always good to hear from you. I am confident about so little these days, so you give my extravagant credit by the "totally confident" possibility. And re MEYERS, to took that away because it was Meyers. Very little is minor with him, by the way.

Now that all that has been clarified, your vote is clear and recorded as: USUAL. Thank you for playing.

Reaction Score
Us: . . . . . . . . A LOT

Them: . . . . .NOT SO MUCH
VAM: am recording this as a vote for: CHANGE OF PACE (if I've misinterpreted, pls correct me)

Reaction Score

TOM: thanks for playing. And I'm sorry that the paragraphs ran together. For purposes of clarity, it was not set up when first posted as it now appears. There was nothing logical intended though., And the intent was just to ask if you'd like to try something different for just this game (make a prediction without knowing which opponent would surface), or predict in the usual format. Keep after me if not yet clear on my part. thanks.

Reaction Score
To make it even more interesting, do it now, but in addition to MOV and score, require that the opponent also be named. If you pick the wrong opponent you're out of contention. That makes it like an exacta bet where you need to get two picks correct in order to win.

PRIDE: OY....sounds creative and nifty but supper awaits and wife getting pissed....will get back when I can digest this.

Reaction Score

PRIDE: Back to you after a delightful meal. Your idea still sounds creative and nifty. However, given the nature of the responses thus far, I think it's best to not add a potentially complicating factor. Hope you'll be understanding.
And, I'll record you as a vote in favor of CHANCE OF PACE; pls confirm or correct me if in error. Thank you.

Reaction Score
I think so, too. you'd have to pick the winning opponent and then the score. It makes more sense because you might feel the score would be quite different, depending on the opponent.

TOM: back to you again after supper. In line with trying to not further complicate this, would I be correct in saying that, all things considered, your vote would be for USUAL format at this point? Would be pleased if you would confirm or correct that surmise. Thank you.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Massey has Tulsa 65 Memphis 64 with Tulsa a 52% probability, so talk about a tough call. Call me old fashion, I sort of like knowing who I'm playing.

Massey Ratings

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure there is much difference between these opponents. I'll take a stab at it. I think these are both 40-45 point wins in Connecticut under normal circumstances. However, we have 3 games in 3 days, so Geno will rest the starters. I think that reduces our score and the MOV. I'll go with UConn by 80-48.

Reaction Score
CT TRAN: always good to hear from you. I am confident about so little these days, so you give me extravagant credit by suggesting that I might be "totally confident" about something. And regarding MEYERS, I took that away from Meyers not as a function of the size of the offense (which you labeled "minor"), but simply because it was Meyers. Very little is minor with him, by the way.

Now that all that has been clarified, your vote is clear and recorded as: USUAL. Thank you for playing.

CT TRAN: good grief, I saw my typos etc in the original response to you above and have tried to correct them within the above.

Reaction Score
Massey has Tulsa 65 Memphis 64 with Tulsa a 52% probability, so talk about a tough call. Call me old fashion, I sort of like knowing who I'm playing.

ROCK: thanks for your input, and your vote is recorded solidly in the USUAL camp.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure there is much difference between these opponents. I'll take a stab at it. I think these are both 40-45 point wins in Connecticut under normal circumstances. However, we have 3 games in 3 days, so Geno will rest the starters. I think that reduces our score and the MOV. I'll go with UConn by 80-48.

MIL: Thanks. Am recording your vote in the CHANGE OF PACE camp. ALSO, kind of interesting: thus far, if interpreted correctly, we're at three votes for "Usual" and three votes for "Change of pace" at this juncture.

Reaction Score
PRIDE: Back to you after a delightful meal. Your idea still sounds creative and nifty. However, given the nature of the responses thus far, I think it's best to not add a potentially complicating factor. Hope you'll be understanding.
And, I'll record you as a vote in favor of CHANCE OF PACE; pls confirm or correct me if in error. Thank you.
Winlots, No worries. Whatever you decide is fine.

Reaction Score
Count me in for USUAL, though I really don't have strong feelings about it. So here's my vote: Memphis, 84-44. That way, I'm covered whether or not you decide we have to name an opponent.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Well it seems I got shut out on the regular season contests. While Jill Stein has offered some of her unused funding for a recount, I will hold my head high and reject it.

Not knowing the opponents does add some mystery to the prognostication efforts. But again, not having won, I will need to radically change my prediction algorithm. So, for the next game I will predict a UConn victory and a score of 143-5

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think they should do it like little league; let the winner pick up three or four players from the loser. That would make our game a little more interesting. (But only a little.)

Reaction Score

Massey Ratings
That's just about what I was thinking. And that being the case I see no reason to complicate this by having to pick the opponent. If I get a vote it's just for the raw score like every other game, nothing else involved. Either that or wait till the opponent is known.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom