Scoe | The Boneyard

Scoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just wanna say that I love Scoe, no matter how bad he looked tonight. I don't think any player helps the team without scoring more than he does.

He is a great personality to have out there and is truly a "glue" guy. I hope that people don't focus too much on his struggles so far this season and instead realize that he's a player who is going to be huge in Big East play with timely rebounds, grit plays, and defense. Still, I'll admit that I am thankful we have DeAndre to cover up some of Scoe's offense.

#TeamScoe

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I love Scoe too. But boy did he have a tough game.

Reaction Score
I really like roscoe a lot. he looks like he is trying to do too much out there. I'm sure the game will come to him, hes an easy kid to root for

Reaction Score
It's so early. I am not worried about anything I see with our team right now.
We have improved in some measure every game. We did get bored after we got up by 30 and we need to get over that soon.

Reaction Score
Yeah I love Scoe as much as all of you, but Im worried about him. I was worried about his confidence before the season started and the last 2 games have done nothing to alleviate those concerns. Roscoe is a glue guy. He brings great energy and does a lot for the team; things that dont show up in the box score. But in order for him to do those things he needs confidence; something he doesnt have right now. He looked great in the first game so lets hope thats the Roscoe we will see this year, but I worry about him trying to force things on offense to show he belongs on the court. Daniels is a much better offensive player. Roscoe is a better defender and rebounder, but not that much better to overcome Daniels' offensive edge. Scoe needs to play the majority of his minutes at the 4, and unfortunately thats a very congested position right now.

Reaction Score
*unfortunately for Roscoe, not for us as a team. Thats a good thing for us.

Reaction Score
Hoping he breaks out soon and I think he will. Like a fellow poster said one steal, one dunk, one shot to go down, a block and he is on his way. Head up Roscoe we all are rooting for ya.

Reaction Score
he will be fine.... he performed well all-around on the brightest of stages as a freshman....

HE WILL BE FINE.... CHILL OUT....

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One of the things I've noticed during the first three games is that is seems like the players are being allowed to "try out" their off season improvements in the game.

Lamb, mostly be necessity, has been running the point more and getting time with one-on-one isolations at the top of the key. Olander is more aggressive with his jump shots and drives to the hoop. Oriakhi is looking to score more and the freshmen are all showing what they can do in the flow of a structured game.

Roscoe seems to be having more difficulty than most of the others showing improvements. The good news? We know what he can do though on the brightest stages in the biggest games with a shiner. JC knows he can plug Roscoe in to the four spot for 20 minutes a game and get tough rebounding, good interior and perimeter defense and someone who will run the floor.

I'm a bit bummed out that so far it doesn't look like he has expanded his game- or, it the improvements haven't translated in to the games.

Like the others on this thread I'm not worried about Roscoe, his skills or role on this team.

Reaction Score
Not concerned at all. He showed his capabilities last year. Players don't regress under Calhoun.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this in an earlier thread.
It's going to be very hard to keep DD off the floor. He's going to get his 30 minutes a game unless he screws up. He shoots the 3 with confidence, he drives the bucket, he's always moving, his D has been good and getting better, he rebounds hard, he handles the ball well.
That means that there's 10 minutes at the 3 left over.
At the 4 you're got AO and Olander.
At the 3 you've also got Giffey.
This is all without Bradley and Boat.
When they come back, the minutes at 3 and 4 get thinner, if anything.
Playing time is a zero sum game, and RS is going to have a reduced role this year.
I hope he embraces it like R. Jones did, because what he can bring for 10-15 minutes a game could be a huge difference maker.

BTW - I can see him getting extended minutes when DD can't handle an assignment on D.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
'Scoe just has to keep his head up and not try to be something he's not. He's a great defensive energy guy and rebounder. If he keeps doing those things well, JC will give him his deserved minutes.

He seems to be in a tough spot based on the AD/DD additions and the huge progression of TO (taking a lot of his energy/rebounding minutes at the 4).

Reaction Score
Bradley and Boat do nothing to the 3 or 4 minutes- Bradley won't really play with the guys we have up front.... he may get a couple minutes here and there but nothing crazy...

AO, AD and TO will share the 80 minutes between the 4/5 slot... they are all capable of playing either in the college game because there really is no difference- you either have wings or big guys after your pg and they're big guys... by your logic, there would be 10 minutes at the 3 for roscoe and 10 minutes at the 4... will it vary game by game? yes. will DD play 30 minutes every game? no. I think, because they are more "glue" guys, roscoe and giffey will see some 5-15 minute games, but honestly, once this team is playing well on all cylinders, there will be more than enough minutes to go around as we rotate guys in to stay fresh. I think Lamb and Napier are going to be the only guys who come close to that 30 minute plateau with all the talent we have....

Reaction Score
Agreed. I believe that if Roscoe has the maturity I think he does, he will adapt to his role and become invaluable to this team. This role acceptance will be a major accomplishment for JC, and I have no doubt it will happen.

Reaction Score
Bradley and Boat do nothing to the 3 or 4 minutes- Bradley won't really play with the guys we have up front.... he may get a couple minutes here and there but nothing crazy...

There are 200 minutes available in a game.
Any minutes Boat or Bradley play will come out of that pool. It can only hurt RS minutes, although I do agree that it is likely minor.

Reaction Score
I think Lamb and Napier are going to be the only guys who come close to that 30 minute plateau with all the talent we have....
It will be interesting to see the minutes distribution in March.
If Drummond can stay on the floor foul wise, I can't imagine him getting fewer than 30 minutes a game.
DD, if he keeps improving . . . same thing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
'Scoe just has to keep his head up and not try to be something he's not. He's a great defensive energy guy and rebounder. If he keeps doing those things well, JC will give him his deserved minutes.

He seems to be in a tough spot based on the AD/DD additions and the huge progression of TO (taking a lot of his energy/rebounding minutes at the 4).

I agree. He is clearly pressing too hard. He needs to tweak his game. He's not that great at taking the ball to the rim. What about if he works on deveoping an inside game like John Garris used to do. He should be money from 5 feet and in using the square of the backboard. Use his length to get his shot off instead of dropping that shoulder and trying to muscle his way in.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Too early to tell anything imo. Injuries, foul, trouble and other extenuating circumstances can come in to play.

I don't mind seeing Roscoe struggle right now, because I think it will be better for him in the long run. The more he has to struggle to get on the floor, the better he is going to get.

I've a feeling he'll earn minutes. We are going to be able to wear so many teams out. Good problems to have.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
We really only need him to go in the there and play good d, and be a beast on the boards. Maybe 5 or 6pts and a block or two.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
We really only need him to go in the there and play good d, and be a beast on the boards. Maybe 5 or 6pts and a block or two.

Agreed. But Roscoe needs to understand that himself. He's going out there and trying to do too much or prove he can do other things when he needs to stick to his bread and butter.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Agreed. But Roscoe needs to understand that himself. He's going out there and trying to do too much or prove he can do other things when he needs to stick to his bread and butter.
I haven't seen him do too much. He hasn't been driving to the basket and getting called for traveling or charging like last season. Nor has he taken many shots.

Outside of a bad pass to who knows what he saw, most of RS's problems are just holding onto the ball and finishing strong at the basket.

Maybe you can be more specific in what you are seeing.

Reaction Score
I have to agree that RS seems to be pushing a bit - and that's understandable. In fact, it's exactly what one would expect when a guy starts for most of a championship season and then 3 games into the next year a freshman displaces him at the starting spot. What most humans would do in that circumstance would be to push too hard.
When Roscoe got in, he certainly seemed to be playing with more than a bit of impatience. I'd guess that he's thinking, "I've got to prove my worth, and I may not have 25 minutes to do it in." So he gets the ball and he drives the lane into a pack and gets blocked/throws up a tough shot. He's a bit more panicky when making a pass. He presses a bit harder on D. And so on.

I could be wrong.

In any event, most people I have met, when faced with the type of situation RS is in, respond by either adapting to their new roles over time or by distancing themselves from whatever the unpleasantness is.

I'm guessing RS is a gamer, and he'll adapt to his new role.

Reaction Score
Not concerned at all. He showed his capabilities last year. Players don't regress under Calhoun.
Its not so much Roscoe regressing as others stepping up and stealing his time. He has to compete with a better offensive player (Daniels) at the 3 and bigger more traditional power forwards at the 4. Everyone knows he can play and do a lot of things, its just a matter of us finding minutes for him.

Reaction Score
We will have games where AO and AD get two reasonably quick fouls in the first half and RS will be indispensable at the PF or guarding a strong SF in Big East play... all he needs is a little confidence and everything else will flow from that...

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I am not worried. He is a veteran player, a hard-nose rebounder and defender, who has had a couple of sub-par games. He will snap back and have a solid tournament in the Bahamas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom