School me on starting a garden - not the MSG type. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

School me on starting a garden - not the MSG type.

Reaction Score
I have conceded defeat to chipmunks. I'm aware they get prima nocta, and I get the leftovers.
I just did mine, so if anything grows we'll see how effective it is... The land I used is reclaimed woods, so I wasn't able to bury posts. I instead took some pressure treated 2x6s and created a frame at the bottom. These are partially buried so I'm hoping the effect is it's like a raised bed. I attached 2x4 at the top to add some support.

I'm wondering if I will need to add wire to the top - to keep birds out.

Reaction Score
I have conceded defeat to chipmunks. I'm aware they get prima nocta, and I get the leftovers.

No, no, no. You need a bucket, my friend. I have fished out 11-12 in the last 2 days.

Reaction Score
No, no, no. You need a bucket, my friend. I have fished out 11-12 in the last 2 days.

What do you do with them post bath?

Reaction Score
Chipmunk cemetary
Human hair, which I think we all have a lot of these days is supposed to ward off critters - if you're not into the whole killing thing. People say Chloroquine is good for this too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any opinion on garden / weed cloth vs mulch for veg garden cover?

Reaction Score
We started using straw as a mulch 2 years ago and are real happy with it. There is a tight bale sold at a Home Center that contains a good amount when opened. Also tried black plastic last year under tomatoes which reduced the wilt/black spot fungus issue. We have been plagued by voles in CT that eat the roots off plants so we tried a castor bean based granular repellant that really helped. Just broadcast it inside the garden fence. Buy seeds which are still available but get seedlings as well of lettuce, swiss chard, broccoli if you can.

Reaction Score
I mean, gardening is a constant chess match. Pests, weeds, insects, soil, fertilizer, PH levels, when to water, etc, etc. It's like fish tanks. You need to love it and be able to be patient and research and roll with all the punches. Rarely is there a perfect season of starting it up, no issues and a huge harvest. Enjoy that if it happens to you.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I would rethink a shady vegetable garden. Last year I threw in the towel on mine after years of trying and even removing a tree or two. You will be especially frustrated trying to grow tomatoes or other Sun lovers.

Reaction Score
B U M P

Mrs Dwarf picking some tomatoes

83421588_10223028640854305_2348637452847275231_o.jpg

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
You're late for starting from seed, but that's fine. Any garden stand has seedlings and, honestly, it's easier and you get more consistent harvests.

The shade is an issue. Any vegetable that loves sun (that others have mentioned) will be leggy (long and thin) with little to no actual vegetables. Those vegetables do best being blasted by the mid summer sun all day.

You'll need to do shady vegetables like kale, broccoli, swiss chard, carrots and to be honest, I don't find that all that much fun. You can look into garden boxes for your deck or a really sunny spot. Or herbs. But if it's in the ground, you need sun or your screwed.

Another option is sign up for a CSA share. All the fresh vegetables, none of the work.
What is a CSA share and where do you sign up for those?

Reaction Score
Left my gate open and had a deer wander thru that ate the tops of a dozen heirlooms,bout 30 ,40 tomatos and low hanging apples.picked off a rabbit from 60 ft out.now picking iceburg lettuce,early girls and peppers.no ground hogs so far

Reaction Score
My big plant is a super sweet 100 cherry tomato by Bonnie plants. Bought it at home Depot. They always grow huge

Reaction Score
Lots of cow ma-nu-eur. I got some chicky / turkey manure froma local poultry farm.. Veggis using that were 2-3x size of cow-wow.

Reaction Score
What is a CSA share and where do you sign up for those?

A CSA is Community Supported Agriculture. Basically, you give a local farm money in the spring. I pat 425.00 for a half share. I think it's like 750.00 for a full share. A full is more than enough for a voracious family of 4, and probably too much even then. It's 20 weeks from June to October and they use your money to help maintain their farm and you get fresh produce every week.

This week, I got:
A head of romaine lettuce
A small carton of baby eggplants (10-12)
A large bunch of scallions
2 yellow squash / 2 zuccini
A head of Napa cabbage (been making kimchi the last month)
2 onions and 2 heads of garlic
2 medium sized sunflowers (every week you get sunflowers or you can pick a bunch of fresh flowers)
They have a huge herb area that you can help yourself to. You name it, they grow it.
They have a pick your own area. I rarely go out there because I don't feel like picking my own most days, but they will have snap peas, shishito peppers, green beans, raspberries, etc. You can usually pick a pint of each.

They also have things, if you're interested, like a chef will come in and prepare a dinner using just picked ingredients and teach a class on cooking it. You pay extra, I haven't gone, but if you're into that thing I'm sure it's cool.

All this for what? 20-something bucks a week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom