Scholarship question answered? | The Boneyard

Scholarship question answered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw this in the news today. Forgive me if I am behind the eight ball but this i the first time I have heard that the school said this was a done deal.

"A little-used player named Michael Bradley forfeited his scholarship to make room for Drummond. The scholarship crunch didn't cost the Huskies a top player. It merely forced the program into some creative math. In effect, Bradley -- who voluntarily gave up his scholarship, according to the school -- was the only member of the UConn program directly hurt by the NCAA's scholarship-related penalty".

I am not trying to open up another can of worms with this post. Just wondering if this quote puts the speculation to bed.

If you do not like players being moved aside for other players that are more needed- then do not watch any D1 sports of any kind and start watching the World Series of Poker.

Reaction Score
I have not seen anything to indicate that this is a done deal just yet. I would imagine that we will have quotes from Calhoun as soon as this is finalized.

Reaction Score
This was the most current plan to make room for AD, but I hadn't heard that it was official yet. Maybe there are articles out on this, but I haven't seen one. Where did the quote come from?

I hope it's a done deal and we can now move no from this. AD still has to go through the Blockinghouse, I mean Clearinghouse. All reports say his academics are in order and it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't put it past the NCAAs for finding some creative way to delay this. I'm sure some in that organization must have their undies in a bunch over UConn skirting around the 3 ship reduction. Hopefully they'll realize that wasn't the intent and AD's crazy late re-decision (my new word since Clemens pretty much invented misremembered) foirced the home state program to be creative. Granted they might have done the same thing if some big time recruit outside the state wanted to come here, but since AD is a CT kid, clearer minds likely understand the unique situation.

What's interesting about the way this played out, is if AD had made this decision when most recruits do, we would not have landed DD. In some strange twisted happenstance, we ended up adding two top 10 recruits and now have enough scholarship level type players to still practice 5 on 5 even if one gets hurt.

Reaction Score
I read it in the news posted above. It makes sense that the first thing we heard is what is happening in the end. The semantics are the same whenever this type of thing happens- they take time. Most of the time we do not have this level of excitement from UCONN fans nor envy from everyone else. Add in the Nate Miles crap and you have the perfect storm for things getting bent way out of proportion.

UCONN fans should be giddy right now. It is not going to get much better then this ever. A NC and a preseason top 5 team. WOW!

Reaction Score
The addition of DD and the expected confirmation of AD sent expectations into the stratosphere. Also the schedule lends itself to some bonding time. Its going to be 1 of the best college hoops seasons talent wise in quite some time.

Reaction Score
MB giving up his schollie this year is a move that could benefit him in the long run. The last 2 years of tuition in the pharmacy program increase significantly, especially the 6th year due to the rotations. Once he is back on scholarship next year and assuming he gets into the professional program, he'll have all 4 years paid for. He's not only helping the team out but it's in his interests to do it.

Reaction Score
MB giving up his schollie this year is a move that could benefit him in the long run. The last 2 years of tuition in the pharmacy program increase significantly, especially the 6th year due to the rotations. Once he is back on scholarship next year and assuming he gets into the professional program, he'll have all 4 years paid for. He's not only helping the team out but it's in his interests to do it.

After his 5th year at Uconn, he will have exhausted his basketball eligibility. I don't think he can be given a basketball scholarship to cover his 6th year seeing as he won't be on the roster any longer. Right?

Reaction Score
He red-shirted last year, so he would still have 4 years left of eligibility no? In any case, I think it would be tough for him to play ball in his 6th year if he does get into the pharm program because you're basically working full time, sometimes over 40 hours a week on rotations. Fitting in practice around that schedule might be tough. I heard he's a smart, hard working kid though so maybe it can be done.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
"In effect Bradley was the only member of the UConn program directly hurt by the NCAA's scholarship-related penalty". Love that spin. In the long run, Bradley is supposed to benefit from this. And what player is supposed to be hurt by the reduction again? Somebody who didn't come here and one of at least 3 kids in the country that could of had a free ride but don't.

Reaction Score
We all hope it works out for him and if it did not he would most likely pick the route of going to another school. He is 6' 11" and has improved greatly practicing with the young pups last year- there are many schools that would take him in a heartbeat.
Again no need to candy coat anything- this is the way of things in D1 sports. Most schools that play at a high level make these moves all the time and there is not a school in the country that would not do what we did to get a player like AD on campus. Mix in our reduction in ships this year and the only thing that keeps popping in my head is what a masterful move it is to get this class on board this year. Amazing job by the staff.

WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
He red-shirted last year, so he would still have 4 years left of eligibility no? In any case, I think it would be tough for him to play ball in his 6th year if he does get into the pharm program because you're basically working full time, sometimes over 40 hours a week on rotations. Fitting in practice around that schedule might be tough. I heard he's a smart, hard working kid though so maybe it can be done.

Right, he red-shirted his 1st year, will be playing the next 4 years, and then will have no more eligibility left for his 6th year. This is why I'm saying he wouldn't be eligible for a basketball scholarship during year 6.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't think anything is official yet. The articles conclusions are conjecture, even if the outcome is likely. The delay in an official statement is probablythe result of the time needed to get whatever financial aid or assistance they are applying for. Furthermore, I'm sure the school is in contact with the NCAA to make absolutely sure they are in compliance regarding this matter. That will also add to delays.

Assuming it is Bradley, I am hopeful he gets aid as opposed to having to accept loans. The kid is already relinquishing playing time with Andre's addition. It would be horrible if he had to pay monies as well.

If he gets financial aid things are a net wash for him. The next four years of school will be paid one way or the other. So people won't have to act as if the kid is being short changed. If he has to take out a loan, that is a different circumstance and people will, imo, have the right to criticize the school, even if things work out in the long run for Bradley.

Reaction Score
Right, he red-shirted his 1st year, will be playing the next 4 years, and then will have no more eligibility left for his 6th year. This is why I'm saying he wouldn't be eligible for a basketball scholarship during year 6.
Using the practical application of real world personal interactions implemented after MB has exhausted his eligibility should lead a reasonably prudent person to conclude MB will be debt free upon completion of his studies @ UConn (assuming its the pharmacy route ect ect ect...). As a matter of fact looking at the totality of the circumstances MB's marketability as a professional post graduation is in the process of being enhanced every day. If the MB scenario comes to fruition Mr. B's "portfolio/potential debt" would be temporarily in the red. Keep in mind you don't lose money on a stock until you sell it at a loss. MB in theory should look at this as a long term investment in himself. As time progresses and the sincerity and unselfishness of his act becomes even more universally known (National Champs ect ect...:D) his stock will sky rocket similar to the unsurpassed leaping ability of David Thompson and Deuce Bello. I put a buy rating on the stock otherwise known as Mr. Bradley. His future is very bright. That is assuming it plays out this way. You can argue counter which is fun also. Ultimately this could turn into a very fortuitou$ event for MB. JMHO

Reaction Score
If MB doesn't play this year though, he'd have 4 years though right? I wonder if he will get action really. Reports make it seem like he's made big improvements but I have no clue what his play is like.

Reaction Score
If MB doesn't play this year though, he'd have 4 years though right? I wonder if he will get action really. Reports make it seem like he's made big improvements but I have no clue what his play is like.

No

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I'm not sure it will benefit him per se as opposed to keeping him whole over his college career. He received a scholarship last year (1) and he's eligible for 3 more years, or 4 with post grad or a medical redshirt, right? So giving up a year he'll still have 4 (or 5) years paid which is the max he can get. In essence isn't he just deferring his scholarship this year?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure it will benefit him per se as opposed to keeping him whole over his college career. He received a scholarship last year (1) and he's eligible for 3 more years, or 4 with post grad or a medical redshirt, right? So giving up a year he'll still have 4 (or 5) years paid which is the max he can get. In essence isn't he just deferring his scholarship this year?

Ah gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Reaction Score
And there you have it- done deal! Thank heaven.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm relieved as well. I could care less if this episode becomes the poster child for NCAA reform and every tv appearance it gets mentioned. We got Andre and no one else does. I'm thrilled.

Reaction Score
Pharmacists make 100K+ pretty much right out of school so I don't think he'll be hurting for cash. He'll still come out waaaay ahead of where most college kids are debt-wise out of school

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
This is all assuming the he doesn't develop into an NBA caliber player. You can't teach height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom