Scholarship Count | The Boneyard

Scholarship Count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm doing this on the fly but as of this moment, with the known class other than Melifonwu and Shortell accounted for, and ignoring the NJ DT that I've only seen referenced here, I have us up to 84 scholarship players. That includes everyone on the spring roster, no one (other than in today's recruiting class) not on the spring roster, and assumes that no players recruited as walk-ons (i.e., Cole Wagner and Johnny McEntee) would have schollies next year and that the transfer Donohue would have one.

Oh -- and it counts McNeil coming from Clemson, even though he can't formally commit until after he graduates this spring.

Reaction Score
That is the point ... you don't count McNeil. You expect that you will have more deletions from the roster after your Spring Game. That allows McNeil & maybe another to be included in the 85.

Plus ... we never know all the comings & goings: the next few weeks in February sometimes have led to surprising change.

The more interesting discussion will be the exact make-up of the coaching staff. Traditionally, some movement happens immediately after signing day. PP might shake some of the places.

Reaction Score
so does that only leave us with one more scholarship then? if that's the case i assume P probably knew about today's casualties ahead of time.

Reaction Score
That is the point ... you don't count McNeil. You expect that you will have more deletions from the roster after your Spring Game. That allows McNeil & maybe another to be included in the 85.

Plus ... we never know all the comings & goings: the next few weeks in February sometimes have led to surprising change.

The more interesting discussion will be the exact make-up of the coaching staff. Traditionally, some movement happens immediately after signing day. PP might shake some of the places.

1. I wasn't implying we were done -- just summarizing the numerical status. We have returning players on the roster who haven't shown that they will ever help the team, and we have two fifth year seniors who suffered knee injuries late in the season.

2. I absolutely think there may be more movement on the coaching staff. I know that some, like FDNY, have been making the case that P needed to do more housekeeping when he came in. I think the combination of the facts that he came in so late, that the AD showed loyalty to the assistants who didn't bail and that P had been out of the college game for a while made continuing on with the staff for one year the only realistic plan. But I agree that coaches need a staff that they are comfortable with, and would not be at all surprised if there are more changes.

Reaction Score
I added incorrectly. With Stephens on board, we are now at 87 using the same assumptions as aforesaid. When I typed 84 instead of 86, I forgot to add the two scholarship kickers.

Reaction Score
I think the coaches aren't surprised. They monitor these kids & their situations from the moment of Commitment (verbal) to the Signing Day. So JUCO & PQ status, I believe, are known well in advance.

And, in saying that, I also repeat myself: the Scout/Rivals services are for entertainment purposes ONLY. They do not have the full picture. Many many times we are led down a path that turns out to be totally untrue. Games ... and I understand why y'all enjoy the info.

Reaction Score
so does that only leave us with one more scholarship then? if that's the case i assume P probably knew about today's casualties ahead of time.

If it isn't clear from the discussion, the answer is "no" because we have no idea who on the current roster will be gone by fall.

Reaction Score
So we have 89 scholarship players expecting to be on campus in the fall. Ninety if Cole Wagner is getting a scholly.

That means that 4 or 5 have to greyshirt or leave the program by fall. Something to keep an eye on obviously.

Reaction Score
So we have 89 scholarship players expecting to be on campus in the fall. Ninety if Cole Wagner is getting a scholly.

That means that 4 or 5 have to greyshirt or leave the program by fall. Something to keep an eye on obviously.

They announced that Neil Shortell has signed a "financial aid agreement"... I'm guessing there's a reason they announced that...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
did shoemate get that 6th year from the ncaa?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
did shoemate get that 6th year from the ncaa?

Isn't it a 5th year for Shoemate? He didn't have to sit because of USC's sanctions I thought and played as a true freshman.

Reaction Score
Isn't it a 5th year for Shoemate? He didn't have to sit because of USC's sanctions I thought and played as a true freshman.

That is correct. Next season would be his fifth. It is just a question of bveing granted the injury redshirt, because he did play last year.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it has been announced or approved by the NCAA yet but everyone is going along that DJ is getting a medical redshirt. He is going to all the team workouts as if he is returning. If I might add to the conjecture above. I am almost certain that Cole was given a scholarship for last year and I would assume that they would continue with one this year. I believe after his first season as punter(when he was non-scholarship) he had the oppurtunity to go to another school on scholarship if UCONN didn't come up with one which of course they did.

Reaction Score
I would hope that Wagner has a scholly by now. Having 90 kids on scholarship at the moment doesn't necessarily concern me. I can easily see 5 kids leaving after the spring semester.

Reaction Score
I would hope that Wagner has a scholly by now. Having 90 kids on scholarship at the moment doesn't necessarily concern me. I can easily see 5 kids leaving after the spring semester.
Agreed bro... There will be some kids leaving.. no question.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I believe it's much more difficult to get that approval if you've redshirted. When it's only a 5th year, it's much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom