Schiano latest in Big East’s ‘brain drain’By Pat Forde, Yahoo! Sports | The Boneyard

Schiano latest in Big East’s ‘brain drain’By Pat Forde, Yahoo! Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't agree with his jab at Navy, but the numbers don't lie.

"From 2005-11, 11 Big East teams won at least 10 games in a season. The coaches of nine of those teams are gone: Rich Rodriguez (who had three 10-win seasons at West Virginia in that time), Brian Kelly (three at Cincinnati), Bobby Petrino (one at Louisville), Schiano (one at Rutgers) and Dave Wannstedt (one at Pittsburgh). Only the guys who had double-digit victories this past season – Butch Jones at Cincinnati and Dana Holgorsen at West Virginia – are still at those schools.
In addition, the coach of every conference champion from 2005-10 is gone"

Unfortunately, there's nothing that suggests this trend will stop when we expand. It could happen though, I guess.

Reaction Score
True that the Big East is now considered a stepping stone conference, a place to excel and advance out of. No question. Also no question: there are a zillion good coaches in waiting out there, and an ever abundance of very good player talent as well. Enough to go around. Good coaches, potentially great coaches, are everywhere. What they typically lack is opportunity. Someone is always in their way until they get a chance. And then they get that chance. The big east, if it stays together in some semblance, will normalize in time to the level of its fan expectation. Moderate expectations lead to moderate commitment, i.e., facilities, head coaching salaries, assistant salaries, recruiting budgets, etc. It is all based on fanbase expectation. The big east suffers fanbase issues. That will normalize if given time. The northeast does. Pitt. BC. Syracuse. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom