Schiano 2.0 vs. Edsall 2.0 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Schiano 2.0 vs. Edsall 2.0

Reaction Score
For football about 130, and we went from 122 to 102 in yardage in one season.
Offensive TD’s though went from 19 to 36, that’s a 90% improvement in scoring TD’s. That’s amazing!
So my Friends who love Randy’s time of possession and grind it out yardage mindset - Chief suggests you focus more on the end result - scoring TD’s. Too often a penalty or turnover makes the yardage meaningless on a team that has too many weak links.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes thank God Lashlee left after only one year. Our offense has been so much better after Edsall got to hire his guy as OC. Although I tend agree with most of your posts, I don't understand why you don't appreciate how much of upgrade Lashlee was after 3 years of Diaco's offenses and the 3 years after he left.

According to some statistical websites UConns total offense:

2016 - ( before Lashlee ) 122 out of 128

2017 - ( during Lashlee ) 50 out of 128

2018 - ( after Lashlee ) 89 out of 128

2019 - ( after Lashlee ) 108 out of 128

Let that sink in for some.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Scoring offense ranks:

2016: 128 14.8 pts/gm
2017: 103 23.6 pts/gm
2018: 112 22.2 pts/gm
2019: 120 18.9 pts/gm

None of those are acceptable. Yes, Lashlee had improvement in 2017, but from beyond bad.

My point is that if you are going to run a hurry up spread offenses, you have to score as you are going to constantly turn the ball over to the other team. That is why you see 52-45 games when hurry up spread offensive teams play each other as the defense is probably only going to get a couple of stops a game against a good hurry up offense.

In 2017, UConn had the worst possible combination of offensive and defensive schemes: A hurry up spread offense that didn't score enough and a defense that was switching to a 3-3-5 scheme, but didn't have the personnel to run it.

Reaction Score

As I said a 90% increase in TD’s from the prior year is huge: 19 to 36 TD’s.

Reaction Score
Lashlee certainly ran a high tempo offense, but its not like the tempo was the only thing that helped. His play design and ability to scheme guys open was light years ahead of any of our other recent offensive coordinators. Same with his in game playcalling. I don't think he wants to come back here and there are other offensive minds out there so we don't need to be obsessed with bringing him back, but he did a great job.

Reaction Score
Whether or not Lashlee is the right guy to move this program forward has nothing to do with how he did or didn't do as OC here. I don't think that experience qualifies or unqualifies him. I trust DB to choose the RKG (sorry had to use it!), which would include a hole bunch of other factors.

Reaction Score
Lashlee certainly ran a high tempo offense, but its not like the tempo was the only thing that helped. His play design and ability to scheme guys open was light years ahead of any of our other recent offensive coordinators. Same with his in game playcalling. I don't think he wants to come back here and there are other offensive minds out there so we don't need to be obsessed with bringing him back, but he did a great job.
I don’t know if he would want to come back as head coach - but pay him $2M or > and he probably would. But. don’t go by the BS story Randy friends peddled about his wife. While she may have preferred southern locations, it wasn’t the driver.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
I don’t know if he would want to come back as head coach - but pay him $2M or > and he probably would. But. don’t go by the BS story Randy friends peddled about his wife. While she may have preferred southern locations, it wasn’t the driver.
He interviewed at Rutgers after Uconn enough said.

Reaction Score
I think he’d take the opportunity. Question is will he be successful? I’m always optimistic and could see it if great assistants and recruiters come with.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
don’t go by the BS story Randy friends peddled about his wife. While she may have preferred southern locations, it wasn’t the driver.
That story only tracked for the apologistas imo, she's a coaches wife after all.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When he blamed Lashlee for scoring too fast and putting an inept defense on the field run by his hand picked disaster - Chief knew things were upside down in year one - and it only got worse when he ran Lashlee out of town and his buddies put out that lame story blaming Lashlee’s wife.
If we were scoring somewhat consistently (or even regularly sustaining drives) the uptempo offense wouldn't have been a problem.

Also, Crocker was Benedict's decision, not RE's (but any fan above a casual level would have known this). The primary reason that experiment failed was due to the personnel on hand (recruited for an Al Groh 3-4) not being a match for th he 3-3-5 stack.

Reaction Score
If we were scoring somewhat consistently (or even regularly sustaining drives) the uptempo offense wouldn't have been a problem.

Also, Crocker was Benedict's decision, not RE's (but any fan above a casual level would have known this). The primary reason that experiment failed was due to the personnel on hand (recruited for an Al Groh 3-4) not being a match for th he 3-3-5 stack.
Randy hired Crocker, approved by Dave.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Randy hired Crocker, approved by Dave.
That is incorrect.

While he was having discussions with RE to return to UConn DB was also having conversations with Lashlee & Crocker.

DB felt RE was going to be here for roughly a half dozen years, return the program to a level close to where it was when he left for Maryland and then ride off into the sunset. He figured the best move would be to have RE's successor on the staff for the rebuild.

DB hand selected Lashlee and Crocker for this purpose. RE was told they would be the coordinators once he took over.

For the record, there was (still is) nothing about Crocker's defensive philosophy that conforms with RE's philosophy.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score

Also, Crocker was Benedict's decision, not RE's (but any fan above a casual level would have known this)

That is incorrect.

While he was having discussions with RE to return to UConn DB was also having conversations with Lashlee & Crocker.

DB felt RE was going to be here for roughly a half dozen years, return the program to a level close to where it was when he left for Maryland and then ride off into the sunset. He figured the best move would be to have RE's successor on the staff for the rebuild.

DB hand selected Lashlee and Crocker for this purpose. RE was told they would be the coordinators once he took over.

For the record, there was (still is) nothing about Crocker's defensive philosophy that conforms with RE's philosophy.

Crocker had no chance, was not treated well by RE... The primary reason that experiment failed was due to the personnel on hand (recruited for an Al Groh 3-4) not being a match for th he 3-3-5 stack.

Reaction Score
That is incorrect.

You realize we went from 19 to 36 TD’s, a 90% increase in one season. We did score a heck of a lot more. Randy did defend Crocker and blame his failures on Rhett for scoring too quickly and not having longer time of possessions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
To be fair, Crocker had the nation's top defense at FCS level at Villanova.

for a 3-3-5 to be effective you need to blitz constantly. If you don't blitz out of a 3-3-5 you are essentially playing a prevent defense the whole game.

I would bet the house Croker wanted to blitz more but someone was holding him back. Just a guess.

Reaction Score
I thought it wold be interesting to compare Schiano 2.0 vs Edsall 2.0. Schiano is in year 2 while Edsall was in year 5 (including the COVID year).

In the 4 years before each took over, their respective teams did not have a winning record:

Rutgers: 2-10, 4-8, 1-11, 2-10
UConn: 3-9, 2-10, 6-7, 3-9

Record for their 2.0:

Schiano: 3-6, 3-0
Edsall: 3-9, 1-11. 2-10, 0-2

Rutgers plays a tougher schedule being in the Big 10 than UConn, so you would expect Rutgers to take longer to turnaround, but it seems like Schiano has made Rutgers respectable pretty quickly. (Don't get me wrong, I don't think Rutgers will ever compete for a Big 10 title under Schiano.) What are the differences that are easily identifiable?

1) Rutgers pays more money to assistant coaches than UConn. Schiano held out for more money for his assistants before he agreed to become Rutgers head coach. For example, Rutgers OC makes $805k and was an experienced OC when hired. UConn's OC makes $310k and had no OC experience before being named OC.

2) Not only does Rutgers pay more for assistant coaches, they have a significantly larger football support staff. Looking at the listed support staff, which could understate or overstate the numbers for each school, Rutgers employs 66 support staff and UConn employs 13.

3) Schiano had more recent and relevant college coaching experience. Schiano was DC at Ohio State for 3 years under Urban Meyer, one of the best college coaches in recent years. He learned what the top coaches/programs do to be successful. And, he saw what state of the art offenses and defenses were doing.

4) It seems Schiano inherited a better and more experienced roster than Edsall. When you look at the offensive and defensive starters at Rutgers this year, all of them are Juniors, Seniors, or Grads. Although a few of them are from the transfer portal, almost all were inherited from the previous coach. In contrast, UConn has 2 Juniors/Seniors/Grads starting on offense and 7 on defense. On the 2 deep roster, Rutgers has 12 FR and SO and UConn has 27 FR and SO. Rutgers has 49 Juniors/Seniors/Grads on the roster and UConn has 20.

5) Schiano was more willing to take advantage of the transfer portal than Edsall. His first year, he took in 10 from the portal including the current starting QB. But, similar to Edsall, Schiano lost a large number of players to the portal: 10 in year 1 (5 more left right before he was hired), 17 in year 2, and 3 so far this year. Also similar to UConn, only 2 of Rutgers outbound transfers have ended up at a P5 school.

I don't think UConn needs to or should replicate the Rutgers approach under Schiano 2.0, as I think there are many examples of hiring program building coaches with fewer resources. And, I do think Edsall was doing a pretty good job of bringing young talent to UConn, but the talent is still very young. No program is going to be that successful with only 20 Juniors/Seniors/Grads on the roster. That said, it does not appear that Edsall brought in a program changing QB yet. I do expect the young players to get better as the season progresses and if the new head coach can keep the core talent, the cupboard is not bare.

The next head coach will inherit a better roster than Edsall, in my opinion, and it will still be relatively young. I think the next head coach has to have experience developing young QBs and if he thinks he needs to, bring in a talented transfer QB from the portal. I'm not a big fan of bringing in a large number of transfers, but I think the next head coach should bring in more transfers than Edsall did to improve talent, depth, and experience. And, the university has to support the new head coach by providing enough money to hire talented assistant coaches.

AS MUCH AS I HATE TO ADMIT THIS ...

Schiano adapted far more strategically and rationally to the modern game of CFB. The media; the interaction with NJ HS coaches; the PR foundation of building a fanbase and driving corporate involvement; the adaptation of assistants to gain greater team quality; the University immersion necessary to build a Program; the overall two decades of developed offense and defense strategy; the understanding of the modern teens and their parents; and the promotion. We don't have P5 today - in part - because Rutgers performed the Kabuki dance of a Bigtime Program and AD better than we did in Football.

The reality: the University of Connecticut in many many sports have been better at selecting Program building coaches and grew to National excellence. Rutgers has Pikiell. Edsall gave a good foundation ... and blah. Pasqualoni to Diaco to Edsall 2.0 ... and we are dumpster.

We had a series of great games with Rutgers in Schiano 1.0 Edsall 1.0 - Hope we play them again soon. However, I do not think they will ever get to Greater Rutgers Football nor will they get good with Pikiell. And they are still in Jersey.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The Crocker issue, if it even matters at this time, had nothing to do with RE. It had to do with the speed of the players. I had conversations with both RE and Crocker about how slow the D was and how the speed was literally a level off. (LB's to DE for more speed, etc). @uconnbill was with me during those conversations.

RE was a control freak. But again, he wasn't responsible for every single ill. Crocker had no shot with that D and the personnel he had.

Reaction Score
The Crocker issue, if it even matters at this time, had nothing to do with RE. It had to do with the speed of the players. I had conversations with both RE and Crocker about how slow the D was and how the speed was literally a level off. (LB's to DE for more speed, etc). @uconnbill was with me during those conversations.

RE was a control freak. But again, he wasn't responsible for every single ill. Crocker had no shot with that D and the personnel he had.
No argument the speed was off but he was using the worse possible defensive scheme for a slow team. Does that surprise you Randy throwing the players under the bus? Year 2 was as bad as year 1.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
You realize we went from 19 to 36 TD’s, a 90% increase in one season. We did score a heck of a lot more. Randy did defend Crocker and blame his failures on Rhett for scoring too quickly and not having longer time of possessions?
I'm not arguing with any of your most recent comment but it does not mean that RE hand selected Crocker (as was claimed).

Let's look at this from a higher level: why would RE bring in a coordinator who a) he had no prior connection to at any point in either's career and b) ran a defense that was opposed to the philosophy that RE had always adhered to?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom