SC vs OSU | The Boneyard

SC vs OSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
SC up at the half 44-39. Kaela Davis with 15 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists through two quarters. Gray with 10 points. Looks like Wilson was in early foul trouble as she only has 3 points and 0 rebounds.

Reaction Score
Gamecocks win 92-80.

Good offense, for a change. Terrible game by Wilson, but it didn't matter.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
South Carolina was one team I want to see this season besides our ladies!!

I was wondering how those players are gonna play together.

Just some food for thought.

South Carolina took 64 shots as a team!
Davis took 21 and Gray took 18. Thats 37 of the 64 shots or 58%....

Wilson (an all american had 3 shots, Coates an all american had 7).

Just an observation and something to keep an eye on as the season moves forward. It will be an interesting dynamic.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
South Carolina was one team I want to see this season besides our ladies!!

I was wondering how those players are gonna play together.

Just some food for thought.

South Carolina took 64 shots as a team!
Davis took 21 and Gray took 18. Thats 37 of the 64 shots or 58% of the shots!

Wilson (an all american had 3 shots, Coates an all american had 7).

Just an observation and something to keep an eye on as the season moves forward. It will be an interesting dynamic.

FWIW, Wilson probably played about 10 minutes tonight. She got an early unnecessary foul in the 1st quarter, Dawn didn't like her body language.. so Dawn sat her for the rest of the half. Then in the 2nd half.. she started the half, collected an early foul and proceeded to the bench only to arise later in the 3rd. She made another appearance in the 4th, collected more fouls and that was all she wrote.. no more Wilson tonight. Hopefully she learned a valuable lesson tonight.

Coates also collected a bunch of fouls.. Mikiah played valuable minutes for a freshmen and held her own against much bigger post players.. so our backcourt, YES, YOU HEARD RIGHT.. our backcourt carried the load. Gray and Davis took charge and basically matched Ohio State shot for shot and delivered daggers. Cuevas was great, Harris was steady in relief.

It was pretty sloppy at times, but a pretty dominant ROAD win when you consider our front court had a relatively bad night. SC wins this game by 20+ in February..

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I had said feeling that Davis thrive once she was on a team that she didn't have to carry by herself. She may be the AA named Davis this year.

She looked really good tonight. If she's shooting like that this year then SC will be ridiculously hard to beat. Gray had a very quiet 24 points and cleaned up everything.

Reaction Score
Gamecocks win 92-80.

Good offense, for a change. Terrible game by Wilson, but it didn't matter.
Any win over a top 10 team is a great win, especially on the road. Also a positive is Davis. Basically won without the usual suspects, which is also a plus. On the negative side, OSU is not the best defensive team around. Also, USC prides itself on its defense, giving up 80 is not good. BUT, like I said, any win over a top 10 team is a great win, especially on the road.

Reaction Score
Any win over a top 10 team is a great win, especially on the road. Also a positive is Davis. Basically won without the usual suspects, which is also a plus. On the negative side, OSU is not the best defensive team around. Also, USC prides itself on its defense, giving up 80 is not good. BUT, like I said, any win over a top 10 team is a great win, especially on the road.
Last year, we beat OSU 88-80. Also, the refs were calling everything. Completely destroyed the flow of the game. A ton of points were scored from the stripe for both teams.

Either way, I'll take it. Especially with Wilson having arguably her worst game at USC.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Last year, we beat OSU 88-80. Also, the refs were calling everything. Completely destroyed the flow of the game. A ton of points were scored from the stripe for both teams.

Either way, I'll take it. Especially with Wilson having arguably her worst game at USC.

Any win over another top 10 team is a good win this early in the season, especially without your bigs having "big" games.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Until Kevin McGuff starts teaching Defense, OSU is not going to win a National Championship. South Carolina has plenty of weapons this year and don't see how they don't make the F4.

Reaction Score
The Ohio State has an easy schedule, just a few tough games. So they will probably end up in the top 10... I doubt they will be a serious final 4 contender.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Did Wilson take so few shots because she was in foul trouble? Or will Davis and Gray take the majority of shots this year?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Did Wilson take so few shots because she was in foul trouble? Or will Davis and Gray take the majority of shots this year?

She was in foul trouble early and often. She collected 2 fouls in the first, got frustrated, Dawn sat her for the half.. she started the 2nd half, promptly collected 2 more fouls.. sat again, reemerged early in the 4th, collected that last foul and was done. She played 16 mins according to the box score, but it felt like way less... put it this way, I barely remember her on the court last night.

Yes, she actually fouled out in this game... which I think was her first, or maybe 2nd time doing so in a SC uniform. I think. Ohio State got in her head and played her magnificently..

I think this was possibly her worst game at South Carolina. It was bad. She needs to keep a cool head, stay mentally focused and remember that she is a team leader. She will rebound from this game, hopefully.

With Wilson out and Coates literally getting all she can handle in the paint, our backcourt took over to score 70 points.. with Gray and Davis getting 61 alone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wilson POY this year when she might not be the best player for the Gamecocks.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Wilson POY this year when she might not be the best player for the Gamecocks.

It's a long season; Kaela Davis had the best game by a Gamecock I can recall. Maybe since Shannon Johnson back in the 90's.

Reaction Score
It's a long season; Kaela Davis had the best game by a Gamecock I can recall. Maybe since Shannon Johnson back in the 90's.
It will be an interesting year at SC. If Wilson is not in foul trouble. Does Davis and Gray still put up that many shots because that will hurt them more then anything when they play teams that are real good defensively. Ohio State can get all the top recruits they want because until they learn to play defense I dont see them making the FF.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It will be an interesting year at SC. If Wilson is not in foul trouble. Does Davis and Gray still put up that many shots because that will hurt them more then anything when they play teams that are real good defensively. Ohio State can get all the top recruits they want because until they learn to play defense I dont see them making the FF.

No, if A'ja wasn't in foul trouble they wouldn't have taken so many shots, but since OSU packed in the zone they still would have been a significant part of the offense. The difference with this year's team is that we now have multiple scorers from outside.

Reaction Score
No, if A'ja wasn't in foul trouble they wouldn't have taken so many shots, but since OSU packed in the zone they still would have been a significant part of the offense. The difference with this year's team is that we now have multiple scorers from outside.
Aja played 16 minutes and took 3 shots. I am going by their history before SC. Lets see how it plays out against a better defensive team. I didnt see the game but if Davis and Gray were hitting from the outside that would have opened the inside for Coates and Wilson. Everybody said the transfers shot alot at their old schools because that is what was needed. It would be different here. Lets see what happens.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Aja played 16 minutes and took 3 shots. I am going by their history before SC. Lets see how it plays out against a better defensive team. I didnt see the game but if Davis and Gray were hitting from the outside that would have opened the inside for Coates and Wilson. Everybody said the transfers shot alot at their old schools because that is what was needed. It would be different here. Lets see what happens.

Ohio State stayed in the zone despite the fact we were hitting from the outside. I think McGuff is a good recruiter, but a questionable game coach.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Ohio State was in the zone the entire game.. that's their defense. They sagged in the paint.. They don't play multiple defensive schemes..

I think they have good athletes but McGuff just has no interest in installing a man to man defense.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Ohio State stayed in the zone despite the fact we were hitting from the outside. I think McGuff is a good recruiter, but a questionable game coach.

This! Ohio State's game plan is to run and gun, but defense is more than an after thought.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Ohio State was in the zone the entire game.. that's their defense. They sagged in the paint.. They don't play multiple defensive schemes..

I think they have good athletes but McGuff just has no interest in installing a man to man defense.

He has not interest in defense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak