SC Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Azzi looked to me to be at a height disadvantage. And I have yet to see quickness from her. I'm sure she will improve, given her reputation.
She is neither tall nor elite quick except her release which is elite quick. She doesn’t have Paige athleticism and ball handling skills to create her own shot like Paige can either.
She is so young, so much potential still, but any comparisons to her game vs Bueker’s is a long way off, Paige is a complete player with elite offensive game that can create her own shots with EITHER hand and her passes are maybe the best in the game. Fudd is nowhere close to Paige or even where Paige was at this point last season. Paige is the best in the game, period.

Reaction Score
Azzi didn't get much opportunity today time-wise. When she was in though, she really just hangs out on the wing and isn't very aggressive in getting herself open. It's almost like plays were happening without her, and she just stood there. Not bashing her -- it may be by design. Just an observation.
That seems to be UConn's style last few years, our guards hang out and hope for open threes. This works against most teams but not teams at the level of opponents we have met in Final Four. Need a big who really is an offensive mismatch, then rest of team gets open in theory. This is what SC did today. Boston gets the ball, we have to double team her, other SC players go inside for good shot or good position for rebounding. In contrast, we set up Liv up high and depend on her to pass to someone who is hopefully open. Paige can generate her own shot, but other guards are too reluctant or not able to force the action.

Reaction Score
Be fair and positive….there were some shots from SC that they made that they will not get lucky next time…some UCONN unforced turnovers that sometimes happen….yes the UCONN bigs have to score to release pressure on the guards….Boston got away with several fullback fouls and perhaps in March she might not etc etc …never count out Coach Auriema and the Huskies ….what is clear South Carolina is strong very athletic can beat you in half court game or running up and down….to beat them you have to be good and bring your A game. We can.
South Carolina players are too brash too cocky but it is a long season full of pitfalls and intrigue. Be Humble.
Go Huskies and see you at Final Four….UCONN will be there.
Why do you say S.C. players are too brash cocky?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Some kid named Stewart had a few good early games against lower level teams before catching freshmanitis. She eventually got over it and I suspect Azzi will too.

No, I’m not saying Stewie and Azzi are similar players. I’m saying they both looked like deer in the headlights due to inexperience.

Reaction Score
Iirc both KML and KLS were very similar early on in their careers. Geno changed them both for the better so let’s hope Fudd follows the same path to becoming a complete offensive player
Fudd will be fine. She's just figuring it out. I didn't see them screen for her and I don't think she has the feel yet of not having the ball in her hand so little of the possession. Long breaks in between playing time too. She strikes me as a rhythm shooter so coming in for short spurts has got to be a challenge. Other than rebounding...and despite the score...didn't think they played that bad. UCONN is talented, but YOUNG too.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Have not watched the game but I can't imagine how a lineup like Uconn only scores 3 points in an entire qtr, no matter who the opponent is. Is that the lowest point in a qtr ever by a Uconn team? It may have happened once in the Stewie era, but I don't recall many Uconn opponents, no matter how overmatch they are, scoring only 3 points in a qtr. Not sure I want to watch the reply now.
Yea, I'd go ahead and skip the 4th quarter. First couple of quarters where pretty good though.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure how one concludes that ONO was "great." ONO is the starting center on the team that was out rebounded 42 to 25. She pulled down just five rebounds total, while fouling four times in 34 minutes. The opposing team pulled down nearly as many offensive boards as UConn had total rebounds- 19 to 25. And ONO was the leader of the front court, which together scored just14 points. That's not "great." That's getting killed inside. Enough with the rose-colored glasses. I doubt ONO will even get selected in the WNBA draft, let alone make it onto a WNBA team.
Fairfield, I don't get you, and apparently neither does anyone else on the BY. Liv played well today. She was UConn's best defender against the wave of SC players who attacked the basket, without very much help from her teammates. You have made it clear that you don't particularly care for her as a player and you appear to frequently go out of your way to criticize her. UConn had a lot of problems today against SC. In any objective assessment, Liv was most certainly not part of the problem,

Reaction Score
Liv went toe-to-toe with Boston and held her own. She was at times outstanding.
Sorry Gus but can’t agree with you. Statistics don’t tell the entire story but do tell us something. As has been mentioned Liv had 5 points and 6 boards compared to Boston’s 22 and 15. In fact our 3 bigs had a grand total of 14 points and 11 rebounds. We will never beat SC with numbers like that. Liv did have some nice defensive plays but she also bears some of the responsibility for the opposing team having 19 offensive rebounds and 17 second chance points.

Reaction Score
Who were those guys?

What a meltdown. I don't think I recall such a panic.

Where was the leadership - we have a bunch of tired & true players who have played together before and they looked like a Div III group.

Where was the coaching, sorry didn't want to say that but I didn't see it when it was SORELY needed.

Yipes
wow. I'm not sure we watched the same game. Not a good look for us in the 2nd half, but Div III, really? C'mon now...

Reaction Score
We need the AE for 30-35 minutes that showed up when she was put back in during H2 and was disruptive on the glass

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Fairfield, I don't get you, and apparently neither does anyone else on the BY. Liv played well today. She was UConn's best defender against the wave of SC players who attacked the basket, without very much help from her teammates. You have made it clear that you don't particularly care for her as a player and you appear to frequently go out of your way to criticize her. UConn had a lot of problems today against SC. In any objective assessment, Liv was most certainly not part of the problem,
zero offensive boards for our starting big playing 33 minutes begs to differ.

Reaction Score
Not sure how one concludes that ONO was "great." ONO is the starting center on the team that was out rebounded 42 to 25. She pulled down just five rebounds total, while fouling four times in 34 minutes. The opposing team pulled down nearly as many offensive boards as UConn had total rebounds- 19 to 25. And ONO was the leader of the front court, which together scored just14 points. That's not "great." That's getting killed inside. Enough with the rose-colored glasses. I doubt ONO will even get selected in the WNBA draft, let alone make it onto a WNBA team.
Anybody who really thinks that probably should change their handle from Fairfield Fan to Fairweather Fan.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For those that know a little about control theory, we have many posters that are way under damped.
Clearly we have a lot of loose guitar strings around here.

Reaction Score
Exactamundo! We need more assertiveness! Did you see the 4th quarter when Azzi, EW and Dorka all passed up relatively open jumpers waiting to pass to Paige. God, Paige is great great great but she's not the messiah--she needs some help from her teammates. I have to cut Azzi some slack because she's only a freshman, but the rest are far too tentative when the game is on the line. Remember all this redemption talk and "unfinished business"? Well none of the seniors except for maybe Liv handled their business in the 4th Q--they all got tentative and quiet and deferred to Paige.
And Paige looked tired at the start of 2nd half, and by Q4 looked thoroughly exhausted. Only 3 points in Q4? More scoring mandatory from others including Azzi and Caroline, and if that means taking a chance UConn might lose when they are in, for my money so be it. If they are truly as good as advertised - and I believe they are - play them, and by March UConn will achieve it's punch on offense.

Reaction Score
We don’t have players who play a physical game.
Edwards is absolutely physical. Really physical.
Have not watched the game but I can't imagine how a lineup like Uconn only scores 3 points in an entire qtr, no matter who the opponent is. Is that the lowest point in a qtr ever by a Uconn team?
::Raises hand. That would be no.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I didn't read all the posts but CW seemed to get a pass from the board. 3-10 from the field, 2 rebounds in 39 minutes from a senior. I don't understand why CW doesn't get the same amount of heat on this board that ONO gets. It isn't the first time CW has done a disappearing act in a big game. Lots of valid reasons stated for the loss but CW certainly must be included.

Reaction Score
Well, that was very un-UConn like. They have a lot of work to do. I know I wouldn't want to be a Husky during the next film session or practice because they're going to be brutal.

Reaction Score
ONO was the best player not named Paige today. I'm not understanding criticism against her game today outside of a knee jerk "Must blame ONO for everything" reaction.

If any bigs should be catching flack today, it's Dorka and AE.
ONO was excellent defensively.

She's just never gotten the offense going.

Bueckers was awesome in the first half. She's really so good. Not sure what changed in second half other than SCar getting back on defense. I think Cardoso altered 2-3 of her shots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom