SC Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
UConn has some work to do, but I'm glad they had a game like this against SC this early in the season. They're still a top 5 team and should be #2 in the polls tomorrow (but I think some voters may look at the score and give Maryland a vote or two). Defense overall was better than I expected, but the offense really met its match with SC's strong defense and some mental mistakes.

Rebounding and TOs were a big issue today, especially some carelessness with the ball at points that cost them last year as well. I never expected them to outrebound SC, but the difference on the offensive glass was the key difference today.

Paige can't do it all, but she sure tried in the later half of the 4Q. And as strong as the seniors were at times early in the game today, in the 4Q, they disappeared and as much as I wanted that narrative to change around this senior class, I just don't know if that will. ONO had some great defense, but didn't really do much offensively and only had 5 rebounds (same as Paige), and the team really needed that from her and the other bigs today.

Aaliyah had some great moments in the 4Q and just needs to continue that play into the coming games and break out of her early season funk. Dorka had a couple good moments, but she didn't take care of the ball at times, which is what Geno expects of his Bigs. I think she'll settle into that role on this team over the next month.

Fudd didnt get a lot of time today and should be a weapon by the time January roles around. Aubrey was missed today and I would love to see more of Mir in the coming weeks.

Overall, the outcome is not unexpected, but I hoped the scoreline would be closer coming into the game and when the 4Q started, but things got a bit out of hand. It feels like UConn has the pieces and talent, but its the mental aspect that's missing. Certainly not writing the team off, but I think we need the seniors to step up on offense, cause Paige can't win it all alone when a team is as talented as SC.

Reaction Score
They had almost 20 offensive rebounds, were stronger, had more energy, and it exposed some glaring weaknesses in our players and team. We poorly box out if at all. Azzi was non-existent ofensively and a liability on defense. Aaliyah had a below average game with turnovers, bad floor decisions and not being a real factor underneath. CW stopped driving and Evina disappeared as she usually does in the second half offensively. Paige and Liv showed up but Paige stopped wanting to shoot at certain points.

My overall take is that we were tired. They had a tough physical game yesterday and SC had a coast with Oregon depleted by injury. I also thought the refereeing was horrendous. I still don't know why we have such poor refs in the women's game.

This will be good for us. Getting beat like that should be a total team wake up call. I hope.
The sad part is they are considered the top refs in the game. They will be at the final four. They called an uneven game, but that's not the reason UCONN got blown out. In fact, they put three SC players on the bench with 3 fouls.

Reaction Score
Everyone standing around watching and waiting for Paige to perform her miracles.. No one comes up big. If Paige can’t do it, no one can. That can’t happen against the best teams.
This may sound a little over the top, but I think of back in the old Chicago Bulls days when everyone just waited for Michael to save the team. They won a lot of games but they didn't start winning their championships until Michael let others take some big shots and more importantly other's were willing and able to WANT to take those shots and make them with Michael on the court watching.

I kind of feel that a little bit here.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
I think one of the reasons Uconn gave up some of those offensive rebounds was that they were too excited to run in transition and forgot to box out for the rebound, perhaps too scared to execute in the half-court.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So, looking at the box score: SC had more shots than UConn 67-50. SC had more rebounds 41-26, and most important O Rebounds 18 - 6. Sorry, but I don't think UConn has the personnel to significantly change those numbers.

BTW, UConn's surge in the first half was with Boston and Cooke on the bench, so nothing to get too excited about.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Disappointed Azzi couldn't follow up from yesterday and be more aggressive offensively.
Facing guard defenders as good as SC's it's going to be tough to get free for stand still jumpers. She is going to have to develop a pull up jump shot like the one Paige has. Once she does that, she'll be a two way scorer and that will make her dangerous.

Reaction Score
No worries from me. We'll be fine. I'll take a loss during the regular season than in the NCAAT. South Carolina is just the better team right now. I have faith UCONN will figure it out as the season goes along. I still bleed UCONN blue

Reaction Score
UConn 43% and USC 46% shot about the same percent. The second chances we gave them, drove a spike thru any chance of us winning this game. If we do not get better on the bds then the second game against them will be more of the same

Reaction Score
SC team rebounds so well, esp on offensive boards, it’s such a huge advantage, to beat them you have to get strong on the rebounds or they will wear you down with second shots. They won 41-26 on the boards.

That old thought that they cannot hit a three is over, they can knock it down when needed.
They hit 5 of 18 3 pointers. That's not very good. UCONN only took 8. That's not good either.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So, looking at the box score: SC had more shos than UConn 67-50. SC had more rebounds 41-26, and most important O Rebounds 18 - 6. Sorry, but I don't think UConn has the personnel to significantly change those numbers.

BTW, UConn's surge in the first half was with Boston and Cooke on the bench, so nothing to get too excited about.
Just to be clear, UConn went on a 15-2 run in the first qtr with both Boston & Cooke in the game.

Reaction Score
I have had a feeling for a few games, which may be entirely wrong, but I'll throw it out there. I am beginning to wonder if Aaliyah's summer with the Canadian national team didn't hurt her development coming into this season. She basically had to cut short her summer practice and conditioning program at UConn to join the national team, and then got precious little PT leading up to and during the Olympics. Aaliyah needs to play "catchup" now.
I’ll just say the her upward trajectory has been interrupted.

Reaction Score
Needed Aubrey today. But I’d rather have her heathy in March and April.

No ONO bashing today. She played great. She did not score but she played battled with the bigs.

C and AE need to figure it out. C did not play like an All American today.

Geno said the team needed to lose, so we’ll see how they respond.

Reaction Score
Who were those guys?

What a meltdown. I don't think I recall such a panic.

Where was the leadership - we have a bunch of tired & true players who have played together before and they looked like a Div III group.

Where was the coaching, sorry didn't want to say that but I didn't see it when it was SORELY needed.

Yipes

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Agree. All of SCs guards went after it today, while CW/E/Azzi when in just kept throwing it back to Paige. Same for dorka/ONO/AE. They need to get aggressive in the paint instead of always dishing back out
If you can rebound, each player can be more aggressive taking shots and not feel you blew the possession.

Reaction Score
Azzi didn't get much opportunity today time-wise. When she was in though, she really just hangs out on the wing and isn't very aggressive in getting herself open. It's almost like plays were happening without her, and she just stood there. Not bashing her -- it may be by design. Just an observation.
This! I don't think it's fair to just look at the box score and say she doesn't shoot. There may have been one or two times where she should've been more aggressive but she never really has the ball in her hands. She's more of a point guard who can run a pick and roll and pull up off the dribble, than a steph curry-move-without-the-ball type player. I also think playing with Nika can help her as well.

In any event, Paige has to be better than she was today. She was ok, but she wasn't great and she needs to be great to beat SC. I didn't think the bigs were that bad. I just think SC hit big shots and made key plays in big moments. Those Littleton threes were back breakers.

I can't say that this loss doesn't worry me. Cook and Henny are really good and of course Boston is arguably the best big in the nation. If they get contributions from Beal(who I really like), Rivers, or Littleton they are going to be hard to beat.

On the flip side, it's easy to say Uconn needs to be better offensively, but I don't know how. They run Princeton offense with bigs that can't shoot. Azzi needs to be more involved, but she's still figuring everything out. Unless she's handed the keys, I don't think they'll be able to generate enough offense to complete. SC is the only team I'm worried about.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Facing guard defenders as good as SC's it's going to be tough to get free for stand still jumpers. She is going to have to develop a pull up jump shot like the one Paige has. Once she does that, she'll be a two way scorer and that will make her dangerous.
Azzi looked to me to be at a height disadvantage. And I have yet to see quickness from her. I'm sure she will improve, given her reputation.

Reaction Score
Be fair and positive….there were some shots from SC that they made that they will not get lucky next time…some UCONN unforced turnovers that sometimes happen….yes the UCONN bigs have to score to release pressure on the guards….Boston got away with several fullback fouls and perhaps in March she might not etc etc …never count out Coach Auriema and the Huskies ….what is clear South Carolina is strong very athletic can beat you in half court game or running up and down….to beat them you have to be good and bring your A game. We can.
South Carolina players are too brash too cocky but it is a long season full of pitfalls and intrigue. Be Humble.
Go Huskies and see you at Final Four….UCONN will be there.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Needed Aubrey today. But I’d rather have her heathy in March and April.

No ONO bashing today. She played great. She did not score but she played battled with the bigs.

C and AE need to figure it out. C did not play like an All American today.

Geno said the team needed to lose, so we’ll see how they respond.
Normally, it is a blessing for Paige to be so methodical but some times you just need to force pace. Not sure if any of our guards can just go full bore

Reaction Score
Dawn has certainly built a heck of a program. They are going to be scary good by the end of the season.
SC is good but not scary good--UConn had them flustered and was up by 13, but a lack of consistency killed them--and except for Liv, not much from the seniors, both CW and EW disappeared before our very eyes. We have to remember this was only UConn's fourth game of the year--that's a tall order for such a young team to play the #1 team this soon... When Paige gets a bit more support, we'll be just fine. Actually, I see UConn improving more than SC by the end of the year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Azzi looked to me to be at a height disadvantage. And I have yet to see quickness from her. I'm sure she will improve, given her reputation.
Azzi took one wide open shot from 10 feet and clanked it. In the 4th qtr. she came off a screen right in front of UConn's bench wide open, had the ball in her hands behind the arc, hesitated and then passed the ball. Geno was apoplectic at her for passing up that shot.

Reaction Score
Not an excuse because SC was the better team, but UCONN ran out of gas today. Both teams played 3 games in 3 days, but UCONN was tested in a tight game yesterday while SC coasted & rested their starters. Clearly, UCONN is not is mid- season conditioning yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom