SC Postgame Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
zero offensive boards for our starting big playing 33 minutes begs to differ.
The anti-Liv crowd is amazing. Let’s cherry-pick a statistic why don’t we? You might also point out that Liv didn’t hit a single 3-pt shot today.

My post talks exclusively about Liv’s defense which was exceptional today. So let’s look at defensive stats: 5 rebounds, 5 blocks, 2 steals. She was also 3/4 with 4 assists.

Reaction Score
ONO was excellent defensively.

She's just never gotten the offense going.

Bueckers was awesome in the first half. She's really so good. Not sure what changed in second half other than SCar getting back on defense. I think Cardoso altered 2-3 of her shots.
Congrats to you guys. Can’t wait for the rematch…

Reaction Score
And Paige looked tired at the start of 2nd half, and by Q4 looked thoroughly exhausted. Only 3 points in Q4? More scoring mandatory from others including Azzi and Caroline, and if that means taking a chance UConn might lose when they are in, for my money so be it. If they are truly as good as advertised - and I believe they are - play them, and by March UConn will achieve it's punch on offense.
The posts about Ducharme are off the mark. If she was ready for big-time competition, she would be playing. People forget that she did not play against a lot of top-flight competition in high school. Azzi has and she looks tentative at the onset of her collegiate career. It is unrealistic to expect “much” from Ducharme this season. I realize a lot of the experts have her pegged as a game changer, but clearly Geno feels otherwise. What we have today is what UConn is going to ride for this season. The keys are to get Edwards going and have Dorka and Azzi get settled in their roles off the bench, which is a transition for both.

Reaction Score
I guess on the more optimistic side is that Geno seems like he has no idea what his rotations are going to be. Azzi has been coming in mid way through the first, in today's game she subbed in briefly at the end of the first quarter. Then Dorka and AE were playing musical chairs, and then Mir came in randomly. I don't think he knows the best combinations to play. That should become clearer as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
We are simply not as good as SC! The most alarming thing for me, is our softness on defense and our lack of heart! This team used to have players who simply refused to fall apart even under the most intense pressure. Those days seem to have vanished in the haze. We’re just SOFT! Sad to see but it’s the truth.
Sadly I have had that same feeling for the last few years.
There seems to just one player now who has that combination of toughness and talent that makes her special.
The last one before that was Crystal Dangerfield.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That is one of the best front court combos I've seen in WCBB. Awesome! But Edwards is/was tremendous last season. She's disappeered. And Dorka was All-Big 10. These are three big talented people. But for ONO to score just six points and pull down just five rebounds while fouling four times. That just is not a good performance. She is dishing out assists. But is that what a 6'5" center is supposed to be doing? The opposing team pulled down 19 offensive rebounds over us. ONO and UConn were out rebounded by seventeen. This is the #2 team in the country. The front court was supposed to put up a fight.
In Geno’s offense, yes, a post player frequently goes to the high post where she can see over other players, make the pass, then flash inside to get it back, if possible. Didn’t you ever see Stef Dolson play? It was the team’s bread and butter for years.

As for UConn being ranked #2, you know South Carolina is #1, right?

Reaction Score
As I've said before, Boston is a generational player. She always played with energy, and now she's finally being used correctly by Staley - on the blocks - versus trying to draw out centers. It was embarrassing to see our Bigs' defense against her today - literally standing still with hands up and not moving their feet. You have at least 15 fouls - make her earn it at the line and show some fight.

Reaction Score
ONO was the best player not named Paige today. I'm not understanding criticism against her game today outside of a knee jerk "Must blame ONO for everything" reaction.

If any bigs should be catching flack today, it's Dorka and AE.
ONO had some good moments to be sure and it isn’t her fault that she lacks the muscle to take on a Boston or a Caruso but she needs to make up for those deficiencies by learning to consistently shoot those 12-15 jumpers, especially from the top of the key. She was open over and over for that shot but SC had scouted her and knew they need not guard her. Without it, the WNBA won’t have a place for her. Still, she’s done the best she could and is a great teammate. Dorka also had her moments but lost focus and Boston basically just toyed with her. Did AE play? Just joshing. Paige was fine until it got desperate and then she showed her youth. That will change. I know Azzi’s defense stinks but we really needed deep threes that didn’t bounce into SC hands. Still, I believe there is time to fix the problems with younger players and still challenge for NC. But in recent years the bigs as in BIGS are dominating more and more. Some look for Aubrey. So do I but for different reasons. Her sole purpose would be get Boston and Cardoso to foul her.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Why were we so terrible ( due to it "is early in the season" ) and they were not"?
We played okay, but neither side played as good as they're going to play later in the season. It is early.. the more figured out team to this point one today, but I'm still not going to say that SC is leaps and bounds better than CT. The teams are close.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I guess on the more optimistic side is that Geno seems like he has no idea what his rotations are going to be. Azzi has been coming in mid way through the first, in today's game she subbed in briefly at the end of the first quarter. Then Dorka and AE were playing musical chairs, and then Mir came in randomly. I don't think he knows the best combinations to play. That should become clearer as the season progresses.
I can’t believe that UConn desperately needs a healthy Aubrey to stabilize what we thought was a deep bench.

Reaction Score
I guess you didn't like Diana Taurasi then. Or is this only applicable to non-UConn players?

Paige isn't exactly a lamb on the court either. She is very well known for her "swagger"... all of the great players have that swagger on the court. Calling it out only against your opposition looks disingenuous.
I don't think you saw the earlier post when the By-er was asking what SC had done, and so I explained what I saw and what he was referencing Had no problem with it as my final line indicates.

Reaction Score
In Spain and had dinner with Lou, Karlie, Bonnie and Mum, so I didn't see game. Will watch tomorrow before commenting. Buenos Notches
Is Lou okay? She wasn’t in lineup last game.

Reaction Score
I believe that Nika is still hampered by her ankle surgery and will be much better later in the season, hopefully prior to the rematch. Paige is really good, but I think that she is better when it's Nika at the point and Paige at the SG position.
Muhl didn't have any ankle surgery, Bueckers did.

Reaction Score
UConn gave up 14 off rebounds to SF yesterday to a smaller team. So what did everyone expect today? Them to do better against a taller and more physical team! Dorka was first team All Big Ten just shows how weak the Conference is.

Reaction Score
No I watched the game - not the box score. I watched Liv doing EXACTLY what Geno has been asking her to do. This is her skill set. She is not Boston. She is a receiver, Boston a fullback. The problem is the rest of team not boxing out. Paige gets way too many rebounds because she does box out. UConn should send 1 quickly back for quick outlets. The rest need to work in case the shot misses. All 5 often never even see the outcome of a shot.
Correct. I would say CW & EW are sub-par defenders. They're usually slow to react and never crash the boards. If CW & EW doesnt score points, they are basically a liability out there, especially against good guard play.

Reaction Score
Good post!
Hard to take the BY seriously if they actually want to criticize Liv. She's one of the UConn players that truly showed up to play a big-game. She should be getting praise. I counted 6 times that she got UConn the ball back- blocks and the one charge.
I'm not going to blame her for getting the ball at the top with her defender 8 feet off. She's there because the coach wants her there. Now, someone explain it to me.
Glad to. If she could shoot from there, she pulls defenders away from other players. You’re welcome.

Reaction Score
Be fair and positive….there were some shots from SC that they made that they will not get lucky next time…some UCONN unforced turnovers that sometimes happen….yes the UCONN bigs have to score to release pressure on the guards….Boston got away with several fullback fouls and perhaps in March she might not etc etc …never count out Coach Auriema and the Huskies ….what is clear South Carolina is strong very athletic can beat you in half court game or running up and down….to beat them you have to be good and bring your A game. We can.
South Carolina players are too brash too cocky but it is a long season full of pitfalls and intrigue. Be Humble.
Go Huskies and see you at Final Four….UCONN will be there.

correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Uconn hc refer to the player of the year as "cocky" also lost count of how many times Paige tries to open her mouth as wide as she can after a play she makes. Don't be a sore loser, if they wanna cheer they have every right too. If Uconn players did that you wouldn't say anything.

Reaction Score
Boston had 3 fouls and 1 block, Amihere had 3 fouls and 0 blocks. But hey, keep bashing Liv, I need the laughs after this game.
So in a draft you would take ONO over Boston? That would be shortest GM tenure in history. As I have always said, ONO does somethings very well, especially passing. And against most teams in college, she can handle what passes for bigs. I don’t want to bash her. She is what she is and it is Geno’s job to put players on the floor who can utilize her skill set and minimize her weaknesses.

Reaction Score
Glad to. If she could shoot from there, she pulls defenders away from other players. You’re welcome.
You coach what you have, not what you wish you had! Brilliant comment!

Reaction Score
I can’t believe that UConn desperately needs a healthy Aubrey to stabilize what we thought was a deep bench.

Believe it. Although we have yet to see what Aubrey might/could be able to provide on the offensive side of the court, now as a Junior, what Aubrey provides is Defensive Quickness on the boards and with defensive positioning. Her athleticism is one of the best (if not the best) on this team.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Muhl didn't have any ankle surgery, Bueckers did.
They both did there's a tape where even Geno is talking to Nika about staying off the ankle after the surgery in his office.

Reaction Score
Believe it. Although we have yet to see what Aubrey might/could be able to provide on the offensive side of the court, now as a Junior, what Aubrey provides is Defensive Quickness on the boards and with defensive positioning. Her athleticism is one of the best (if not the best) on this team.
even when she plays she doesn't get much playing time. Just reaching for something that isn't there. Same way people try to think there's another level for Nika, we've been waiting. After this game a lot of lessons were learned and the most important one was to stop overrating players.

Reaction Score
We got slaughtered on the boards and Paige needs help scoring. Maybe Azzi will provide it later in the year.

SC is much better than they used to be. Seems like they’ve always been big and tough, but now they can shoot, too.
SC plays great with the refs in their pockets. Have not seen such a one sidedly called game in quite a few years, ten years ago Geno would’ve gotten tossed. He’s much more mellow nowadays.

Reaction Score
You can see the pieces that’s missing from this team. Aubrey G is an important piece and it’s showing. Her energy alone but the defense and hustle is critical

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom