SC Postgame Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Excellent defensive game plan by Dawn. SC shut down UConn’s game down low, and cut off the slash and drive game, usually Christyn’s bread and butter. As a result, she dared Liv and Aaliyah to hit from the outside, which neither could do. Folks are upset that Liv kept shooting from out there, but she was the only one being given open shots and she has to fire ‘em to keep the defense honest. Just gotta learn to make ‘em with some reasonable percentage!

I don't agree unless all of her shots were with 5 seconds left on the clock. For example I believe when she 1st came in after sitting with 4 fouls - the 1st offensive play with still decent amount of time on the clock (I think?) instead of keep passing and moving and setting picks she hoists an outside shot- of which SC gets rebound and their guard goes coast to coast misses but SC gets the basket. Sixteen seconds were left on the shot clock and she takes a shot as soon as she comes in. She did this late shot as well vs Tenn.

You and I do appreciate her to some degree though unlike others. She had 6 assists and one turnover. Yet somehow she's embarrassing? IMO her main issue is that she still has a poor feel for the game. She can pass which is cool but I wonder about situational awareness.

Anyhow it's as you say she is left open -- so UCONN can get that shot anytime. She just doesn’t understand that her jump shot should be a last resort. It's simple imo. If you can't hit ft's well then the chance you are going to hit near-3-point line jump shots is not very good.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
The talking heads annoyed my wife to no end.
I had the realization that I haven't heard such homers provide commentary for a game since the during the Perdue men's basketball in the late 70s early 80s were they SC alumni?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This thread is going to get loooooooooooong.

Reaction Score
I had the realization that I haven't heard such homers provide commentary for a game since the during the Perdue men's basketball in the late 70s early 80s were they SC alumni?

oh my lord, why is everyone always focused on announcers being homers?

monica mcnutt is a Georgetown grad
Dunno about the other one

Reaction Score
That game broke a 7-game OT losing streak which has lasted over 16 years. Connecticut last won in overtime 12/1/04 against South Florida, 76-65. Since then 7 losses, one in triple overtime to ND (one of four against them; the others were Duke, Stanford, and Mississippi State). Four of the seven were in the NCAA tournament, including 3 Final Fours.

It also runs Connecticut's record to 8-1 as a #2 playing #1 (lone loss to Baylor in 2011).
Thank you!

Reaction Score
What?!!! I actually thought they were outstanding, much better than what comes from ESPN. Your wife must be easily annoyed.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Paige and UConn led SVP Sports Center Coverage
I bet they are really PO'd that they don't get to air anymore UConn games until the NCAA Tournament. If they hadn't try to mess over UConn with the new contract they would still be airing the games. Geno said that they were going to lose money staying with the AAC vs going to the Big East.

Reaction Score
They were as bad as I've heard doing an elite game.

One play Nika gets hit on the head driving toward a pick and she says "She doesn't know about that. She was just fighting over a screen (referring to the defender)." after she said Nika got on the head. She gets clocked in the head and she is questioning it? Are you kidding? :)

How about at 7:33 Griff gets knocked to the floor for an offensive rebound and she says "This was one of those tough calls."

Paige gets a steal and goes in for layup but gets fouled she says "Paige was fortunate she got that steal otherwise Zia had a clear lane to the basket."

And in the half court set later SC commits a turnover in which Paige picks off a pass - she immediately says "Oh my." Not a word about Paige just doing again some great stuff or etc. such as "Great anticipation skills from Bueckers." Her "oh my" translation was "Damn, my team just committed another turnover." :)

How about late she speaks of all the things SC hasn't done but they are still close then saying how UCONN has been so good with their offense. Didn’t she mention this?

All the while mention how SC didn’t get the ball enough to Boston. A lot about what SC needs to do and they aren't playing to their normal level - while stating how well UCONN was running theirs? SO Evina and CWill were on the top of their games offensively? UCONN hitting so few 3's was normal? And while she brings up SC needs to get the ball to Boston--

How many of us were screaming for UCONN to give the ball to Paige during that late SC run? She didn't bring that up at all until AFTER Paige hit a jump shot. It was obvious wasn't it? But she didn't mention it beforehand but was quick to discuss Boston not getting the ball late. Why didn't she mention about getting the ball to Paige earlier? :) IMo it was because she wanted SC to win. :)

And the kicker- the announcers thought Boston had 4 fouls and when she backed down low and Edwards went flying - Boston eventually got fouled she says 'I held my breath a little Lisa because I thought WE were on the verge of an offensive foul." WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :)

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One point of emphasis for Geno to work on: Moving picks ( or blocks). How many of those were called? Geesh.
They weren't calling moving picks, they were saying the players had their feet to wide apart. Personally I thought the refs were pretty crap most of the game. Not unusual unfortunately. Boston got away with three charging fouls that were not called that were pretty blatant watching the replays - the sorts of fouls that have been called every time on Edwards in other games.

Reaction Score
She averaged 18 points as a junior and 16 as a senior. Paige as a freshman is averaging 21 per game.

The Tennessee regular season I'll give you...but that's the only one in a marquee game where DT simply took over and won the game basically on her own. DT performed well in most of the standout games her final 2 seasons but people don't give her supporting cast enough credit. Players like Strother/Turner/Moore were stepped up in a big way in big games even if they didn't go on to be great pros. They let DT be the star but fulfilled their role at a high level and often brought great play in big games even if they struggled in a go to role as their careers unfolded.

Looking at DT's big games you have:
2003 vs. Tennessee-25 points
2003 vs. Duke-21 points
2003 vs. Villanova-15 points
2003 vs. Villanova (Big East)-13 points
2003 vs. Purdue (E8)- 21 points
2003 vs. Texas (F4) -26 points
2003 vs. Tennessee (Championship)- 28 points
2004 vs. Duke- 16 points
2004 vs. Tennessee- 18 points
2004 vs. Penn State- 27 points
2004 vs. Minnesota- 18 points
2004 vs. Tennessee- 17 points

I'm not saying Paige is better than DT (although I'm not saying she wont be), but DT never pulled off heroics like Paige did today aside from arguably the regular season Tennessee game. Paige today had 31 points, 5 assists, 6 steals and scored the last 13 points on 5-5 shooting in the last 2 minutes of regulation and OT. She also overcame late game deficits in regulation and in OT. All against the #1 team in the country.

I know it's recent, but as time goes on I fully believe people will remember this as perhaps the most impressive singe game clutch performance by any UCONN player ever. I'm not slighting DT, but what Paige did today is unprecedented in UCONN history.
The Texas Final Four game, UConn was down 6 late and looking dead, and DT willed that win. Hit a deep 3 to put UConn ahead and had a block at the buzzer to seal the two-point win. As an apples to apples comparison on paper, Paige’s performance today was even better. But the stakes of a Final Four game makes that game more of an orange.

Reaction Score
She got away with a lot of fouls, did she have any assists?
Also has anyone even noticed Anna’s absence? You’d think we would be hurting missing a “starter”
We are hurting! Just check out the shooting percentage by everyone whose initials were not PB! I would be willing to bet that Geno would have loved to have her healthy and available tonight!

Reaction Score
We are hurting! Just check out the shooting percentage by everyone whose initials were not PB! I would be willing to bet that Geno would have loved to have her healthy and available tonight!
??? Anna isnt getting any shots off against SC. She doesn’t show up in big games at all and hasn’t shot well all season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The Texas Final Four game, UConn was down 6 late and looking dead, and DT willed that win. Hit a deep 3 to put UConn ahead and had a block at the buzzer to seal the two-point win. As an apples to apples comparison on paper, Paige’s performance today was even better. But the stakes of a Final Four game makes that game more of an orange.
Good call on the apples/oranges. DT's performance that game is definitely legendary, largely due to the caliber of game being in the FF and in a comeback situation. She was stellar but it wasn't the 1 woman show that Paige was today. Just rewatched the ending, DT made huge plays to get a 67-66 lead (the big 3, another bucket and a great assist). After that she missed a jumper and a pair of free throws late. Shot 10/22 overall. Crockett/Turner made huge plays down the stretch grabbing key offensive rebounds that protected the lead. The last play wasn't a block as much as the Texas player lost the ball while trying to gather for a shot. Im by no means saying Paige had the single best performance in UCONN history, but I've never seen UCONN basically win solely due to one player just stepping up and taking over in the manner that it happened today.

Reaction Score
Good call on the apples/oranges. DT's performance that game is definitely legendary, largely due to the caliber of game being in the FF and in a comeback situation. She was stellar but it wasn't the 1 woman show that Paige was today. Just rewatched the ending, DT made huge plays to get a 67-66 lead (the big 3, another bucket and a great assist). After that she missed a jumper and a pair of free throws late. Shot 10/22 overall. Crockett/Turner made huge plays down the stretch grabbing key offensive rebounds that protected the lead. The last play wasn't a block as much as the Texas player lost the ball while trying to gather for a shot. Im by no means saying Paige had the single best performance in UCONN history, but I've never seen UCONN basically win solely due to one player just stepping up and taking over in the manner that it happened today.
Some of it was just the feeling of the game at that point, with maybe romanticizing it a little. It really looked like it was over when Texas went up 6 - UConn was spinning its wheels, and hey, it was a great season reaching the Final Four after losing Sue, Swin, Ashja and Tamika, and no shame in a hard-fought loss (we had 3 titles in our history at that point, so we weren’t really “supposed” to win the way people think of UConn these days) And then DT flipped the script.

The best single game performance I can think of before tonight might have been Nykesha Sales hanging 46 on Stanford, but it was a pretty comfortable win. Tara Van Der Veer had a quote that she wasn’t worried about not signing Sales because she had “six Nykesha Saleses coming in” which added to the enjoyment of the win, but since it wasn’t close, there wasn’t the do or die pressure that tonight’s game had. I‘m a little annoyed that the lucky bounce is making the rounds so much, because the plotline should be that down four late, Bueckers outscored the No. 1 team in the nation over the last seven minutes 13-5 all by herself.

Reaction Score
There was actually an overtime win by Connecticut in January of 2003 against Tennessee (back in the days before they lost seven straight overtime games) which was somewhat reminiscent of tonight's game. Taurasi put the team on her back near the end of regulation and willed the team to victory. She didn't score 13 straight or anything, but it reminded me of this game (which I feared we had lost several times).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What happen to Evina and Christy?...almost not existent on offense. CW needs an eye exam...she could not even hit the rim at times.
I was wondering earlier this year if Christyn's contact lens prescription if off. Seriously.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Always feel that the other players on DT's junior and senior teams get short shrift - no question both of those teams were 'her teams' but the quality of play from the 2002-3 freshman class was great and Conlon and Battle and Moore were fabulous as well.

That TX FF game was probably DT's most special big game, bringing the team back from dead in the final minutes.

This game was spectacular for PB and definitely an important game for the team. But ... there is a lot of season still ahead and it only helps in seeding, not towards any of the three titles available each year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In the last 93 secs, Paige scoes 1 two, 1 two and 1 thress, makes UConn from -3 to +4 points.
I need a drink again ..
She outscored South Carolina by 13-5 over the last 7 minutes. There was only 1 reliable shot-maker on the floor.

Reaction Score
One more suggestion for anyone who tapes the game to watch later: if your DVR allows you to do so, set up the game to run an hour long. It's rarely needed (most Connecticut games finish well before the 2 hour mark), but it comes in handy for the rare game like this.

Reaction Score
Pretty painful game to watch aside from Bueckers heroics which were phenomenal. Big win for UCONN and should lock them up for a #1 seed in March.

SC:
-Boston was solid but missed a good number of chippies inside. She was hugely impactful defensively and a lot of UCONN misses in the first half were when her presence altered looks. I have no idea why they didn't go to her more. She had 3 shot attempts in the first half. She had no face up shots either which was unexpected. The last 3 attempt was way too quick and rushed, she should've just shot instead of trying to hit a step back 3. Good game for her but I dont know why she didn't touch the ball much at all in the 1st.

-Henderson has been great this year but was dreadful today. 8 turnovers and a lot of them were just dumb lazy plays. Poor shot selection on 5-17 shooting, 1-5 FT. Missed a good look end of regulation and turned the ball over at the end. Night and day compared to watching Harris run the offense vs UCONN a year ago. If they meet again, she'll definitely be motivated to play better.

-Cooke was somewhat of a no show. Take out the half court prayer and she had 8 points on 3-12 shooting. SC guards were a big let down tonight for Dawn.

-Saxton and Boston needed more touches. 3 shots for Saxton isn't enough when she's a great finisher inside.

-Amihere didn't look ready for a game of this magnitude. She has length but isn't a good finisher and had a couple of bad TOs. Still pretty raw.

-All that said, SC still nearly won and would have if they hit one of their 4 shots end of regulation, including three right around the basket. I think they're UCONN's toughest competition for a title.

For UCONN:
-the backdoor action was most effective offensively. I thought they should've utilized it more, especially with Edwards. Speaking of..

-I thought Edwards played terrific. Really good minutes and played physical defense against a bigger Aliyah Boston. Avoided foul trouble and made a lot of hustle plays.

-Muhl played composed and picked moments well.

-ONO did well passing out of the high post. Maybe a super fan can run numbers, but from games I've seen she hits like 25-30% of her shots from the perimeter. She shouldn't be shooting out there. She also has the Jantel Lavender problem of sticking her right foot forward so it becomes a long two most of the time. Several of those werent even close. Im surprised Geno is letting her continue to take shots from out there. Im not sure i saw her post up once all game which isn't a good sign. UCONN escaped today but needs production and energy from her against taller teams.

-Bueckers is ridiculous. Moving her off the ball is a great idea too since she can be more like a combo guard. She should be taking 20+ shots every game considering her percentages and the fact that she scores at will with defenders draped all over her. I thought SC for the most part played great defense on her and she still hit tough shot after tough shot.

-UCONN's offense really struggled but was most effective when they just gave the ball to Bueckers and let her create. I anticipate more emphasis on this in the coming games. I dont know what happened to Westbrook and Williams.

-Griffin was solid defensively and provided a lot of energy.

Lineups will vary by game, but I think Geno has a good starting 5 right now and can inject energy off the bench in AE and Griffin. It was effective today and they'll need high intensity off the bench in the NCAAs.
Geno's best move this year was trusting Nika to run the team - ingenious! He's the only one (besides me) to spot her unique talents, eh?

Reaction Score
ONO made me want to rip my hair out(I don't have any) on offense, but she really held Boston in check on D until that 4th foul. We took the lead in the 3rd playing her, Aubrey, and Alliyah together.
ONO hits half of her outside shots [not difficult shots] and we win by double digits, eh? Geno had the right offensive plan!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom