SC at the XL center in February | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SC at the XL center in February

Reaction Score
Generally speaking, which venue gets the primo games? XL is bigger, but doesn’t Gampell have a more raucous and intimidating (student) crowd?
Gampel is more tightly packed, but I don't notice a big difference between venues. Both are relatively sedate compared to men's games. The women have always drawn a somewhat older crowd.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking about making the trip down to Colonial Life for a game.

Any travel tips? Best places to stay? Hang out?

Reaction Score
I think U$C is more appropriate for the real USC (the one in Los Angeles). After all, one of the school's nicknames is The University of Spoiled Children. (As an aside, only foreigners--people from outside Southern California--refer to USC as "Southern Cal." To us, it's always "USC" or "SC.")

The other USC, the one in Columbia, is known (at least to my friends from Chapel Hill) as Lesser Carolina, or Lower Carolina.
Call us whatever you want. We are more often than not called Winners. remember this is a WBB forum.:p

Reaction Score
I don't know. I've had XL tickets since '99 and the games there seem to be spread out more or less evenly throughout the season.

When I had Gampel tickets I really enjoyed games when school was not in session. Much easier to get around, parking, etc. I'm upset my beloved X-Lot parking is gone...

Reaction Score
Gampel is more tightly packed, but I don't notice a big difference between venues. Both are relatively sedate compared to men's games. The women have always drawn a somewhat older crowd.
Good point, Skeets, and that coming from a 'somewhat older' folk.;)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Stay on Main Street or in the Vista (same vicinity), both are walking distance to the arena. I live a block off of Main Street and walk to the games. There's a variety of restaurants and bars. If you need cuisine recommendations, let me know.

Reaction Score
Doesn’t work well. Most Weest Coasters refer to SoCal as SC more than USC. SCal , the school, also uses SC

There was a court battle about 15 years ago when SCar tried to copyright an interlocking SC design on its then-highly popular baseball cap. SoCal objected. Patents court said no copyright because it creates too much comfusion ( Leonardo decaprio testafied that he wore the “wrong cap” to SOCal games for a couple of years) So, both schools continue to confuse folks by wearing interlocking SC caps that are similar except one is garnet and black the other is garnet and gold. Nobody owns usc or sc ( even though SC is the official abbreviation of South Carolina.

Maybe Southern Cal needs to be “tUSC.”
Their band knows that one.

Reaction Score

Gamecocks have sold out season tickets. Remaining 5000 game tickets will go to students, visitors and a few will be held in reserve until gameday. Tickets returned by the visiting school will be sold too - but I doubt UConn will return any. Time to start looking on the scalper sites, (BTW, Iowa has sold out seasons tickets again too.)

Single-game tickets will go on sale to the general public via Ticketmaster at 10 a.m. on Fri., Oct. 18

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's generally accepted that Geno prefers certain games like Notre Dame at the more intimate (yes, intimidating) Gampel. When your Gamecocks came to CT a couple of years ago, that was at sold-out XL Center. Turned out the site didn't make a difference in that one...:rolleyes:

Back in '19-20, a season the Huskies mostly would be glad to forget, SC, Baylor and Oregon (with Sabrina) took turns beating up on the Huskies at the XL Center. That set of games might have been what turned Geno against playing the big ones in Hartford, making the USC game this coming December all the more interesting. Of course, UConn appears far better equipped this time around.
It is at the XL Center because it is Xmas break and the students are gone.

Reaction Score

Older and a higher % of children. The mens games are loud and intense. You hear a lot of explicit comments all game that would draw nasty looks if said at a womens game. In the mens game the home crowd can be intimidating, something I've yet to see in wcbb.
In a smaller volume of space 10K can generate a lot of noise and they dedicate a lot more seats to students in Gampel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom