Greg Swaim says Rutgers and Louisville invited to Big 12 by June; tv wants Rutgers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Greg Swaim says Rutgers and Louisville invited to Big 12 by June; tv wants Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The study ranked Rutgers the most popular college football team in the NYC TV Market, with nearly a 21% market share. ND was #2 with only 9.2% share, followed by PSU, UConn, Michigan, then SU. I am not sure how exactly this was determined, what factors, etc.. were involoved, but it did state the study was not scientific.

All this being said, I would be willing to wager that ND is a much larger TV draw than Rutgers in the NY market, and even if they weren't, Rutgers definitely would not get 2 times the ratings as the Irish get., as this study indicates they would.

Here's the link.

Reaction Score
1. SNY's contract is with UConn, not Rutgers. Is it merely because SNY is stupid? Or is it because UConn, combined hoops and football, gets them more eyeballs than RU combined hoops and football in greater NY?

2. The "study" you're citing found that Rutgers had more fans in the NYC market (including half of NJ and Fairfield County) for football than UConn. I'm sure it does. But UConn was well up on the list (I think about 4th or 5th in NYC), and the real question in any event is how many fans does each program have in total -- not in any one TV viewing area. RU has somewhat more in football and not a fraction in hoops.

I am not doubting that the XII may prefer Rutgers to UConn. But you have overstated the case big time.

I completely agree and thought the same thing when I reviewed the study. If you wan't to sell a TV channel to a market, football can't stand alone. I'd bet UConn in combined sports trumps Rutgers - and although maybe not a TV issue, especially so among younger fans.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
The study ranked Rutgers the most popular college football team in the NYC TV Market, with nearly a 21% market share. ND was #2 with only 9.2% share, followed by PSU, UConn, Michigan, then SU. I am not sure how exactly this was determined, what factors, etc.. were involoved, but it did state the study was not scientific.

Not scientific? Was it done with magic?

Reaction Score
It makes no sense for RU. Whatever revenue they get will be lost in travel (and, no I am not referring to the helicopter for GS). besides, aren't they the jewel the B10 covets - i recall hearing that last year.
What doesn't make sense is the belief that Rutgers delivers the NY market because they don't. The metro NYC market is primarily pro sports oriented and not much of a college market except fo BE tourney time.
The entire reallignment issues is filled with rumors and this may be one of them. Louisville on the other hand does make sense.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Rutgers doesn't have to deliver the NY market. It has to deliver the NJ market. The 11th largest state.

NJ has at least 2.5 million cable subscribers each of who would get charged $8.40 a year (.70 cents a month) for the BiG or BIG12 Channel as part of the 'footprint' agreements. that's $21 million a year plus advertising revenue on the sports channels which is exploding. It's more logo sales. More visibility.

Add 8 million NYC subscribers (at 1.20 a year) for basic cable inclusion and that's another 10 million. Plus a huge advertising footprint.

Rutgers is the most under valued and mismanaged college brand in existence. A competent AD would turn Rutgers into gold.

The ACC is foolish. They should lock up the North East Market and put politics aside.

Reaction Score
Rutgers doesn't have to deliver the NY market. It has to deliver the NJ market. The 11th largest state.

NJ has at least 2.5 million cable subscribers each of who would get charged $8.40 a year (.70 cents a month) for the BiG or BIG12 Channel as part of the 'footprint' agreements. that's $21 million a year plus advertising revenue on the sports channels which is exploding. It's more logo sales. More visibility.

Add 8 million NYC subscribers (at 1.20 a year) for basic cable inclusion and that's another 10 million. Plus a huge advertising footprint.

Rutgers is the most under valued and mismanaged college brand in existence. A competent AD would turn Rutgers into gold.

The ACC is foolish. They should lock up the North East Market and put politics aside.
The population of the state and the number of potential viewers doesn't matter if nobody watches. Advertisers buy media based upon cost per K for their defined market.
You don't turn around a brand and create a fan base overnight. Rutgers would have to have sustained athletic success over at least 3-4 years to build a fan base/audience and interest advertisers. Rutgers has shown no sign of doing that.
Uconn's circumstances were quite different when we joined the BE. We had a great fan support even though our teams were medicore. The fan base was in place when JC took over. My point is that we didn't have to create interest and support because it was already there. Rutgers has to start from scratch and that is a tough task for any AD.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The population of the state and the number of potential viewers doesn't matter if nobody watches. Advertisers buy media based upon cost per K for their defined market..

The first relevant question is what the BiG or B12 could command for cable carriage fees in the state. Numerous sources ran the math in 2010 when the issue first came up with the B10 and the answer was 3.1 million subscribers in Jersey times the .70 subscriber fee a month = $26 million.

As New Jersey is a Comcast Cable state, the negotiations were already complete -- Comcast established the .70 market rate with the B10 to include their channel on the standard expanded basic package (the most popular one) for all subscribers in states with a B10 footprint. Presumably a B12 deal would be similar.

In NYC it would be 10 cent per exppanded basic subscriber and the advertising is not just Rutgers--it would be the BiG or B12 network.

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/football/dollars-and-sense-of-big-ten-expansion

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...greenstein_1_btn-big-ten-network-tv-executive

Reaction Score
Unfortuneately, UCFB does very little in the new york market. Someone posted, I guess within the last month, a summary of where TV eyes in NYC are when it comes to CFB. If I recall correctly, Rutgers was around 20%, UConn around 1%, and Syracuse/Penn State were somewhere between 10-20%.

In a way it makes sence for CFB fans......Rutgers is what?.....30 min outside NYC. It used to take me 90 minutes to commute to the Bronx from Southington. Add about another 20 minutes to get to Hartford and that makes it close to a two hour trip NYC-E. Hartford.

I don't think too many NYC'er's will make that trip........thus the poor capture of that market for FB.

The same could probably be said about the frequency of Bostonians making the trip to E. Hartford for UCFB......not too often, I would guess.

Reluctantly, and with a heavy heart, I could see why Rutgers may appear to bring more to other BCS leagues as they look at expansion.

The study was based on bogus metrics.

Look at TV ratings if you want to see how popular teams are.

Reaction Score
Not scientific? Was it done with magic?

It wasn't scientific. He was looking at Google searches.

Why are people looking for statistical measures other than the obvious one?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It wasn't scientific. He was looking at Google searches.

Why are people looking for statistical measures other than the obvious one?
That explains it, people are always trying to find Rutgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom