Saylor Poffenbarger, Live and In Person | The Boneyard

Saylor Poffenbarger, Live and In Person

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I had the pleasure of watching Saylor Poffenbarger and her Middletown High team play Tuscarora High tonight. Middletown won by 52-41 and led the entire game. It was worth the 2-hour drive through rush hour and the 1-hour drive home.

Her (unofficial stats):

21 points (7-14 inside the arc, 2-6 outside the arc, 1-2 from the line).

23 rebounds!

6 assists (should have been more, but teammates missed shots or mishandled the ball)

6 steals

0 blocks (but several shots altered and 1 foul called on a clean block)

2 turnovers (maybe 1 was given to her teammate on a pass)

2 fouls (1 noted above)

30 minutes played (of 32—short breaks late in Q2 and Q3).

Some interesting plays:

She won the opening tip (the opponent started no one over about 5’9” but did have a decent 6’1” reserve, who played a fair amount).

On the first possession of the game, Saylor got the ball with 2 seconds left on the shot clock, took one dribble, and swished a step-back 3-pointer from 24’. It had to be demoralizing to the opponent.

She made a nice touch pass.

She just missed an alley-oop basket on an inbound pass (it was strong and bounced off the back rim).

On one play, she drove into the lane and was tripped, went to the floor, and passed the ball while on the floor out to a teammate for an assist.

Some thoughts (keep in mind that Middletown is an average small school team, but is well coached by Saylor’s mother, and Tuscarora is an average and undersized team):

Saylor plays hard and was active.

She is the personification of versatility.

She really goes after rebounds. She uses her length, jumping ability, anticipation, and aggressiveness. She amassed 23 boards, not because the other team was small, but because she has a nose for the ball.

She seems to have court savvy and great anticipation and makes good decisions.

She runs like Sveta!

She shoots from Crystal Dangerfield territory—24.’ That shot is unguardable.

She is a good ball-handler and often brings it up court.

She is a willing and capable passer. She easily threw several 40-50’ chest passes on fast breaks and has the overhead crosscourt pass that Megan often uses (Meg snaps it a little harder).

She doesn’t force shots (maybe 1 or 2 under the hoop in traffic).

On defense, she challenges shots.

She sets good screens.

She is a team player.

She is a threat to post a triple-double.

Saylor is a legit 6’2” with strong legs and decent strength. She needs to add some bulk in her shoulders and arms, but remember that she is only in 11th grade. She has good athleticism and reminds me a little of (a stronger) Ann Strother and a little of Sveta. It is obvious why the UConn staff like her. She seems to do everything well. What is she best at? Tonight, it appeared to be rebounding, but nothing was deficient.

I hope to see her again this season. Feel free to comment or ask questions.

I hope to see Mir tomorrow.

Eek: Autocorrect changed her first name. Can a mod or admin fix the subject line, please!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
1579665518685.jpeg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I had the pleasure of watching Saylor Poffenbarger and her Middletown High team play Tuscarora High tonight. Middletown won by 52-41 and led the entire game. It was worth the 2-hour drive through rush hour and the 1-hour drive home.

Her (unofficial stats):

23 rebounds!

6 assists (should have been more, but teammates missed shots or mishandled the ball)

6 steals

2 fouls (1 noted above)

Some interesting plays:

She won the opening tip (the opponent started no one over about 5’9” but did have a decent 6’1” reserve, who played a fair amount).

On the first possession of the game, Saylor got the ball with 2 seconds left on the shot clock, took one dribble, and swished a step-back 3-pointer from 24’. It had to be demoralizing to the opponent.

She just missed an alley-oop basket on an inbound pass (it was strong and bounced off the back rim).

On one play, she drove into the lane and was tripped, went to the floor, and passed the ball while on the floor out to a teammate for an assist.

Some thoughts (keep in mind that Middletown is an average small school team, but is well coached by Saylor’s mother, and Tuscarora is an average and undersized team):

She really goes after rebounds. She uses her length, jumping ability, anticipation, and aggressiveness. She amassed 23 boards, not because the other team was small, but because she has a nose for the ball.

She runs like Sveta!

She is a willing and capable passer. She easily threw several 40-50’ chest passes on fast breaks and has the overhead crosscourt pass that Megan often uses (Meg snaps it a little harder).

She sets good screens.

She is a team player.

Saylor is a legit 6’2” with strong legs and decent strength. She needs to add some bulk in her shoulders and arms, but remember that she is only in 11th grade. She has good athleticism and reminds me a little of (a stronger) Ann Strother and a little of Sveta. It is obvious why the UConn staff like her. She seems to do everything well. What is she best at? Tonight, it appeared to be rebounding, but nothing was deficient.

Eek: Autocorrect changed her first name. Can a mod or admin fix the subject line, please!
Thank you Mil. This from our peripatetic, intrepid, reporter, Mr. Husky.

Reaction Score
I think Saylor has even longer range than CD because CD really only shoot long-range 3 when she is not guarded, but I have seen many videos where Saylor hits from NBA deep with someone in her face! and yes, she seems like an excellent passer, like Lou. It's safe to say that the Uconn bigs are going to love her because the lane will not be clogged when Saylor is in the game.

Reaction Score

Her (unofficial stats):

23 rebounds!

6 steals

2 fouls (1 noted above)

Some interesting plays:

She runs like Sveta!

She sets good screens.

She is a team player.

So then, you like her?;);)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Her (unofficial stats):

23 rebounds!

6 steals

2 fouls (1 noted above)

For whatever it's worth, her local paper has her numbers as 19 points, 16 rebounds, 6 assists.

Never know how accurate these things are. Either way, another strong game for her.

Reaction Score

Her (unofficial stats):

23 rebounds!

6 steals

2 fouls (1 noted above)

Some interesting plays:

She runs like Sveta!

She sets good screens.

She is a team player.

Thank you for taking the time to write this up! Exciting player we have coming...

Reaction Score
Thanks for the report. I know the DC traffic too well to understand what you went through to get there!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great stuff! As a huge fan of UCONN WCBB I know how exciting it is to get to see a recruit in person. You get to observe things that aren't visible on the highlight videos.

You mentioned she is a team player - what is her demeanor on the bench when not playing? How about on the court when she doesn't have the ball? Does she hustle to huddles? Encouraging of teammates? Stand around on offense or defense when she doesn't have the ball or is she always moving? I assume she is pretty good at those things, but was wondering if you observed anything along those lines.

UCONN has been a destination school not only for great players, but great character kids who are also tremendous teammates. I expect Saylor will continue with that tradition. So happy we have her, and thanks again for the absolutely terrific courtside report. Maybe SNY wants to reach out for an additional courtside voice for games! :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Great stuff! As a huge fan of UCONN WCBB I know how exciting it is to get to see a recruit in person. You get to observe things that aren't visible on the highlight videos.

You mentioned she is a team player - what is her demeanor on the bench when not playing? How about on the court when she doesn't have the ball? Does she hustle to huddles? Encouraging of teammates? Stand around on offense or defense when she doesn't have the ball or is she always moving? I assume she is pretty good at those things, but was wondering if you observed anything along those lines.

UCONN has been a destination school not only for great players, but great character kids who are also tremendous teammates. I expect Saylor will continue with that tradition. So happy we have her, and thanks again for the absolutely terrific courtside report. Maybe SNY wants to reach out for an additional courtside voice for games! :D
I’ll reply further tonight, after Mir’s game. Everything was positive. She was out of the game for about :20 and 1:30, so it wasn’t long. I couldn’t see the bench well, but she seemed engaged. She was encouraging her teammates and very active. She used to play multiple sports, so she’s in shape. She looked winded at times, but didn’t slow down.

Reaction Score
Saylor bleeds blue. According to her mom, she wanted to commit on her unofficial visit she took her sophomore year. I also either read or heard (can't remember), her workout regiment consists of separate conditioning, basketball training and weight lifting sessions. And she does these workouts 5 times a week during the offseason. So it doesn't surprise me she exhibits excellent fitness. Based on her skill, talent, work ethic, and character she seems to be a prototypical UConn recruit. And I think she'll be an immediate contributor here.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Ok, my friend, I'll try to answer all your questions:

Demeanor on the bench for all of the 2 minutes that she sat seemed fine, to the extent that I could see (view was partially blocked). She seemed attentive and cheering.

On offense, Saylor moved--a lot. She would cut into the lane for passes and usually redirect the ball. She also ran the baseline to get open in the corner. I liked her movement. Maybe she wasn't Rip Hamilton or a Whirling Dervish, but she was moving and hustling almost constantly. She also ran hard several times. Saylor is in great shape.

Hustling to huddles? I don't recall. There was no lingering, however.

Encouraging of teammates--absolutely. She was engaged and high-fived her teammates several times.

No pouting, no moaning, no bad attitude. Nothing close to those.

On defense, she maintained her position, though she often came out to guard a player or pressure the ball early in the shot clock. She also rebounded very well out of the 2-3 zone.

Frankly, I saw no negatives. What does she need to improve? The standard answer at UConn is "everything." For her age, I saw no deficiencies. Things she can work on: get stronger (see Lou, Stewie, et al.), turn her shot from a good one to a great one (currently, Megan and Crystal are better shooters, but Saylor can get to their levels), expand her repertoire, especially under the basket. I look forward to watching her at Middletown, UConn, and beyond.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This young woman is going to be something. I just wish she could find a way to graduate a year early so that she and Bueckers could play together for four years.
Bigboote, Paige is a Senior, Saylor is a Junior and Azzi Fudd (Milford’s dream choice for UConn) is a Junior, so I hope you’re not suggesting Geno redshirt Paige...:mad::confused:;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Little birdie gave me a heads up on something to look forward to. Azzi and Saylor might play together in the spring/summer for the Fairfax Stars on EYBL circuit.

Keep those tentacles coming recruits. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Little birdie gave me a heads up on something to look forward to. Azzi and Saylor might play together in the spring/summer for the Fairfax Stars on EYBL circuit.
I think they have both played on the Stars before, though maybe not together. I think Tim Fudd has coached for the Stars.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom