Say what u want about Whitmer... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Say what u want about Whitmer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Sorry but I call bully e. Some of you feel the need to prop the kid up because he's taken a beating and rightfully so on this board.

He made a few plays today. He only turned the ball over once and he wasted fewer plays than usual due to happy feet and indecisivenes in the pocket. He didn't lose the game for us. He has provided a legitimate passing threat in the last two games. All good things.

But many of you in this thread are completely ignoring that the MAJOR difference in our offense today....the reason that we scored 37 points....the reason that we finally got our running game going....the reason we won was Foxx. Yes it was a team effort but if Whitmer plays the entire game we lose. So its not a backhanded compliment, its just facts. I'm proud of the offensive line and happy to see Whitmer make a few plays but it was a collective effort at QB and if we're going to win more games we will need to see a lot more of Foxx.

So you're saying that our QB and our passing game improved when we had some semblance of a running game? Genius - we should have done that earlier this year.

Fact is Whitmer has improved this year. 9:4 TD:INT ratio. Less sacks as the year goes on (which is also a function of the OL) and positive yardage running the ball. Better decision making overall.

Reaction Score
Another way of looking at this is Mr. Whitmer was clearly and convincingly better than their guy (who did not resemble Bortles in any way). Even with a good game there was one careless fumble and almost a bad interception at the end of the game. It reminds me how hard it is to play that position and how few people can actually do it really well. As said but others, given a pocket, he throws a really nice long ball that is a real weapon and a big plus in his game.

Reaction Score
I've been of the opinion that CW is better than Boyle. I've also called for Boyle to play once the season was shot.

Mea culpa. How some on this board refuse to give this kid credit and instead lob backhanded compliments astounds me. I won't call anyone out on this, but one poster's handle rhymes with the word "balatine".

He has flaws (pocket presence) but the kids a gamer and deserves more respect than honestly I've given him.

Reaction Score
I have been critical of him in the past. He just never seemed to get over the hump and show improvement and consistent play. I have to tip my cap to him for controlling the ball in a sloppy weather game and leading the offense. He looked good in all facets of the offense. And the line is improving for sure. Awesome game all around. There are no moral victories, but these boys definitely had a pep in their step after their performance on the road against ECU. Jazz was in the building yesterday. RIP #6.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lets not over hype the kid. He still leaves a lot to be desired. He made the plays that he needed to make, has a big heart, seems to be a great leader and he is the best that we've got right now. I'm happy as long as we see Foxx and the wild husky for 30 to 40% of the snaps. Without Foxx at QB we lose this game today. Whitmer is what he is. We shouldn't expect too much of him. He can be solid as long as we mix in Foxx. If we get 2 scoring drives per game from Whitmer he has done his job.
boooooooo

Reaction Score
I love him. He isn't the best quarterback, but he is class and toughness through and through. And I'm proud of him. Great performance yesterday!

Foxx also was great yesterday.

UCF is a very good team, and it took two great performances from two different styles of QB for us to win.

(See? You can be complimentary of both QBs in the same post)

Reaction Score
Sorry but I call bully e. Some of you feel the need to prop the kid up because he's taken a beating and rightfully so on this board.

He made a few plays today. He only turned the ball over once and he wasted fewer plays than usual due to happy feet and indecisivenes in the pocket. He didn't lose the game for us. He has provided a legitimate passing threat in the last two games. All good things.

But many of you in this thread are completely ignoring that the MAJOR difference in our offense today....the reason that we scored 37 points....the reason that we finally got our running game going....the reason we won was Foxx. Yes it was a team effort but if Whitmer plays the entire game we lose. So its not a backhanded compliment, its just facts. I'm proud of the offensive line and happy to see Whitmer make a few plays but it was a collective effort at QB and if we're going to win more games we will need to see a lot more of Foxx.

True but that's not the point. Whitmer has taken a beating physically and mentally all the while playing behind a "work in process" offensive line. The yard is merely giving him respect for toughness and courage. He has emerged as a leader right before our eyes. Having said that, no question Foxy was a game changer yesterday.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I get what Whitmer is. I don't get how you can't like him.
Right. Kid was all set to walk away and who could've blamed him after last year. Came back for team and coach with no promises and still leaves it on the field every week. I really hope he can still write himself a decent last chapter to his UConn story.

Reaction Score
LRock34 said:

Still don't get it, do you.

Reaction Score

Foxx changed the game completely. Whitmer's effectiveness improved after Foxx's run. Having the Dual QB's really messed with Central Florida. Agreed, if Whitmer played entire game UConn loses.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I've been of the opinion that CW is better than Boyle. I've also called for Boyle to play once the season was shot.

Mea culpa. How some on this board refuse to give this kid credit and instead lob backhanded compliments astounds me. I won't call anyone out on this, but one poster's handle rhymes with the word "balatine".

He has flaws (pocket presence) but the kids a gamer and deserves more respect than honestly I've given him.

Couldn't have said it better myself. At 1-5 with ECU and UCF on tap I was ready to throw in the towel and just give Boyle the ball, even though by everything we've seen, Whitmer is the better QB.

After the great ( in context of our season) performance at ECU and great ( in any context) job with UCF, I couldn't have been anymore wrong.

We have a legitimate shot to beat Army and go into the last 3 games with a tough road game at Memphis, then late November and early Dec home games with Cincinnati and SMU.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but these last two weeks have rejuvenated my optimism.

Reaction Score
Couldn't have said it better myself. At 1-5 with ECU and UCF on tap I was ready to throw in the towel and just give Boyle the ball, even though by everything we've seen, Whitmer is the better QB.

After the great ( in context of our season) performance at ECU and great ( in any context) job with UCF, I couldn't have been anymore wrong.

We have a legitimate shot to beat Army and go into the last 3 games with a tough road game at Memphis, then late November and early Dec home games with Cincinnati and SMU.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but these last two weeks have rejuvenated my optimism.

It's great we won. However, to be honest,as others have said, if we had played Whitmer the whole game, we would have lost. CW is a great kid, he came back, he is loyal to the Huskies, that's all great stuff. But if we had left him in to play the whole game like Diaco usually does we score 10 or 14 points.

So kudos to Chandler and the Huskies for beating UCF. But nothing I saw on Saturday changes my opinion about his relative performance this year.

Reaction Score
The flask was way too big for the crowd. Pathetic no shows and early departures if this game was too cold what will Dev 6 be like. If people didn't dress right for the weather they should be ashamed.

But, as I said, broken foot or not, the use of Boyle adds nothing to the team production or his confidence. Since almost al of his possessions are 3 and out, one wonders if he would be left in to complete an extended drive. Foxx, on the other hand, changed the game. Not just his great run, his presence clearly caused a problem for what has been a good defensive team. I don't care that he's a senior because he isn't taking minutes from Boyle, he's taking minutes from Whitmer and gives the opponent's D something different to look at.

I've taken to ignoring that Boyle has been in the game, simply for my own sanity. Hopefully, eventually it will pay off and something good will happen. Boyle rushed his throw on that one roll out he had, where the DE batted it down. A simple pump fake, or any kind of move to keep the DE grounded, and his target was wide open for a big gain. But, if I ignore that it actually happened, I don't have to try to figure out why he was in the game at all - so never mind. :)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's great we won. However, to be honest,as others have said, if we had played Whitmer the whole game, we would have lost. CW is a great kid, he came back, he is loyal to the Huskies, that's all great stuff. But if we had left him in to play the whole game like Diaco usually does we score 10 or 14 points.

So kudos to Chandler and the Huskies for beating UCF. But nothing I saw on Saturday changes my opinion about his relative performance this year.

If we played Foxx the whole game we would've lost too.

We needed both. Not sure what your point is here or what angle you're working.

Reaction Score

Really, you don't understand my point? My point is that we know exactly what we get from Whtimer. We've seen it. We know. That's why it was great to see Diaco change up. It's why we won.

On the other hand, we don't know what Foxx would deliver for a whole game, the sample size is too small. There is no evidence to judge your opinion, either way, up or down. I tend to believe it's probably correct. But no one really knows. The same is not true of Whitmer.

Reaction Score
Another way of looking at this is Mr. Whitmer was clearly and convincingly better than their guy (who did not resemble Bortles in any way). Even with a good game there was one careless fumble and almost a bad interception at the end of the game. It reminds me how hard it is to play that position and how few people can actually do it really well. As said but others, given a pocket, he throws a really nice long ball that is a real weapon and a big plus in his game.

On the fumble, from the replay they showed at the stadium it looked like the Center never got the ball up into his hands.

Reaction Score
Bubba is absolutely correct, missed that post along the way here and there - we were 4hrs into a north atlantic ocean fishing adventure away from Whitmer throwing yet another killer 4th Q interception. UCF player's hands were simply too cold to catch the ball. THe first quarter snap exchange problem? We've been through early game fumbles and short field giving up TD's. That makes it what 7 of 8 games it's happened?

Old news.

but:

Whitmer's got 5 games left to correct that problem late in games, hopefully it gets corrected before the end. Sooner or later, we'll need that completion late. There is never a situation where you want the INT.

Reaction Score
On the fumble, from the replay they showed at the stadium it looked like the Center never got the ball up into his hands.
I should probably take another look at it, but my first impression was he pulled out from center a little early. It has been fun watching the last two weeks. So many positive developments. Like having him in the shotgun and I do believe given a little time, he can really stretch the field vertically. Good things happen when you can throw it long.

Reaction Score
Really, you don't understand my point? My point is that we know exactly what we get from Whtimer. We've seen it. We know. That's why it was great to see Diaco change up. It's why we won.

On the other hand, we don't know what Foxx would deliver for a whole game, the sample size is too small. There is no evidence to judge your opinion, either way, up or down. I tend to believe it's probably correct. But no one really knows. The same is not true of Whitmer.

Curious as to why you are not including the dramatic improvement of the offensive line in this diacussion? Up until the last two games Chandler has had no time to throw. With renewed confidence in the O-Line and mixing in the read option with Foxy, look for Whitmer's and the entire offensive team stats to surge!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

The angle is that there are people on the board that don't want to admit that the kid had a good game. He would have thrown for 3 TDs if it weren't for the pass interference of Thomas on the corner fade. He saved plays with his arm (including third and long and also fourth and medium to Foxx), and he saved plays with his legs.

Everyone is pointing to Foxx as proof that "any QB will do." Well, it's not proof. Foxx was essentially our running back. Nobody on the UCF defense had a realistic expectation that he would throw the ball. It was definitely going to be a run play when he was in. But it helped us batter them with speed and allowed our linemen to knock them back a little.

The idea that having a decent run game should negate a QB's solid performance is simply stupid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom