Saturday 1-23-21 Viewing and Dicussion Guide | The Boneyard

Saturday 1-23-21 Viewing and Dicussion Guide

Reaction Score
Noon:
#23 UConn @ #11 Creighton - Fox: A win would be huge after how both the Creighton and St. John’s game ended.

#9 Kansas @ Oklahoma - ESPN: Two tournament teams, but outside of beating West Virginia, Oklahoma hasn’t beaten anyone in the top-80 in the NCAA. A win over Kansas would be a nice jump off into the meat of their Big 12 schedule.

Kent State @ Toledo- ESPN3: The MAC has been surprisingly good this year and Toledo has been the the class of the MAC thanks to their efficient offense and excellent outside shooting (39.3 3p%). Senior Marreon Jackson is their stud (16.6p, 4.2r, 5.6a, 2s). Kent State has already lost to Toledo once, but they are surprisingly 3rd in the league.

2 PM:
#2 Baylor @ Oklahoma State - CBS: Cade Cunningham has been as good as advertised and it will be really fun to see if Jared Butler and Mark Vital can neutralize him. If so, just more to add to Baylor’s impressive resume.

2:30 PM:
Providence @ #3 Villanova - Fox: Villanova fought off Seton Hall in a tough matchup while Providence had a huge win vs. Creighton. Friars looking to keep the streak going.

LaSalle @ Richmond - NBCSN: Battle of totally different styles. LaSalle’s physical play vs. Richmond’s precise offensive efficiency.

3 PM:
#20 Clemson @ Florida State - ABC: The first time these two played was an excellent game. After a hot start, Clemson has lost two straight and Florida State has won three straight. Despite their national ranking, Clemson needs this win to prove that their early season hot streak wasn’t a fluke while Leonard Hamilton’s teams are known to peak later in the season.

4 PM:
#15 Ohio State @ #10 Wisconsin - CBS: At first glance, this looks like a matchup between efficient offenses and meh defenses, but Wisconsin is surprisingly 5th in offensive efficiency.

Duke @ Louisville - ESPN: It’s fun to root against Duke.

Furman @ East Tennessee State - ESPN+: Battle of the two best teams in the SoCon. With a lot of turnover and a new coach, ETSU was just 1-3 to start the season, but have just one conference loss so far: Furman, the team no one wants to see in the first round of March Madness. Their trio of Bothwell/Mounce/Gurley average 47.5 ppg.

4:30 PM:
Dayton @ VCU - CBSSN: Battle of two fo the best teams in the A-10. VCU’s aggressive press against stud guard Jalen Crutcher will be a great matchup. Dayton’s reclassified Finnish ’21 commit 6’10 220 Mustapha Amzil has been a revelation averaging 12.3p, 5.5r, 1.3s and 42% from 3.

5 PM:
#24 UCLA @ Stanford - FOX: A bubble team, Stanford needs this win. North Granby’s Jaiden Delaire is starting to become a scoring option in his junior year.

SIU-Edwardsville @ Belmont - ESPN+: A chance to watch Sid against the best team in the OVC. He didn’t play on Thursday, so I don’t know what’s up with that.

6 PM:
DePaul @ Marquette - FS1: DePaul is looking for their first Big East win.

Mississippi State @ #18 Alabama - SEC Network: Underrated game. Mississippi State has surpassed expectations thanks to play of super sophomores guards Iverson Molinar (17.4p, 3.3a), DJ Stewart (17.4p) and big Tolu Smith (13.5p, 8.8r, 57.9 fg%). A win against the streaking Alabama will be huge for their tourney chances.

LSU @ Kentucky - ESPN: Double barf. Three straight ESPN games with UNC, Duke and Kentucky.

7 PM:
Saint Mary’s @ San Francisco - CBSSN: Another very good WCC matchup between two top-80 teams. The rebirth of San Francisco basketball has been one of the better mid-major stories over the last few years and senior guard Jamaree Bouyea (17.2p, 52.5 fg%) is a big reason for that.

Saint Peter’s @ Siena - ESPN3: Battle of the two best teams in the MAAC. The firehouse offensive power of Siena vs. the shutdown D and scrap of Saint Peter’s. Siena’s junior guard Jalen Pickett is a legit NBA prospect (17.7p, 9.7r, 4.3a, 40.9 3p%) and brings a level of athleticism rare to find in the MAAC.

8 PM:
Georgia Tech @ #13 Virginia - ACC Network: After a few seasons of anemic offense, Josh Pastner’s team rosters THREE 15+ ppg scorers. Conversely, this is his worst defensive team at Tech. Thanks to transfers Sam Hauser and Trey Murphy, Virginia has the scorers the team was lacking last year.

Colorado @ Washington State - ESPN2: Colorado is KenPom’s top team in the Pac12 while Washington State backcourt duo of Issac Bonton and Noah Williams (combined 30.2p, 7.6r, 5.9a, 3.4s) is underrated. The scrappy Cougars won’t make the tourney, but are not an easy draw.

8:30 PM:
#19 Missouri @ #6 Tennessee - SEC Network: Arguably the game of the day. Two similarly matchup teams both with tough defenses that make it really hard for the opponent to get good shots off. The difference is Tennessee’s propensity to cause TOs, ranking 8th in defensive TO%. I love the Vols this season and they are very balanced with seven players averaging between 20-28 mpg. My Sunday coffee game of the night.

Reaction Score
23 Connecticut @ 11 Creighton, 12:00, FOX - Kevin Kugler, Donny Marshall
Line: Creighton -7/137

Providence @ 3 Villanova, 2:30, FOX - Gus Johnson, Jim Jackson
Line: Villanova -11/139.5

Utah Valley @ St. John's, 4:00, FS1 - John Fanta, Tarik Turner
Line: St. John's -14/152

DePaul @ Marquette, 6:00, FS1 - Eric Collins, Nick Bahe
Line: Marquette -9/143.5

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Few games you didn’t mention that I’ll definitely tune into:

8. Houston @ Temple 12:00pm CBS
SMU @ UCF 2:00pm ESPNU
NC St @ UNC 2:00pm ESPN
Oregon St @ 21. Oregon 10:30pm PAC12

Reaction Score

Damn, I thought we were getting Gus. At least we got Donny...

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score

I'm going to put some money on the Friars if they're a double digit dog. Hell i think I'll bet the money line too

Reaction Score
Few games you didn’t mention that I’ll definitely tune into:

8. Houston @ Temple 12:00pm CBS
SMU @ UCF 2:00pm ESPNU
NC St @ UNC 2:00pm ESPN
You'll tune into Houston at noon today?? Mic check.......

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
You'll tune into Houston at noon today?? Mic check.......
Yup. Have a 3 TV setup with UConn on the primary one and UH/Temple and KU/OU on the other 2.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm going to put some money on the Friars if they're a double digit dog. Hell i think I'll bet the money line too
sorry

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I looked great at halftime. So confident I took the dog for a long walk and didn't bring my phone. I ended up only betting the spread and got 11. Oh well, I don't bet much money anyway. I used to be a semi degenerate gambler and then I basically stopped for many years but with all these gambling sites available at the touch of a finger if I see a game I like I'll throw a few bucks at it. Did someone on PU get a red card? Nova had a huge second half. Anyways, I'm a huge Bears fan but I love the Pack -3 1/2. Everyone is on the Brady train but no one is playing as well as Rodgers. I like the Pack by double digits.

Reaction Score
I looked great at halftime. So confident I took the dog for a long walk and didn't bring my phone. I ended up only betting the spread and got 11. Oh well, I don't bet much money anyway. I used to be a semi degenerate gambler and then I basically stopped for many years but with all these gambling sites available at the touch of a finger if I see a game I like I'll throw a few bucks at it. Did someone on PU get a red card? Nova had a huge second half. Anyways, I'm a huge Bears fan but I love the Pack -3 1/2. Everyone is on the Brady train but no one is playing as well as Rodgers. I like the Pack by double digits.
Agree on the Packers. What site is your go to? I have never gambled sports online, think it goes back to '99 when I KNEW the good guys were going to win the title and I frantically was looking for sites on a crappy dial up and never could place the bet. During the height of the close down, when the only sporting event on tv was horse racing, took the plunge and was able to parlay $100 on GTV into a couple of months of great entertainment just picking names that the kids liked. Good COVID times.

Reaction Score
I really like watching Tennessee, but I just don't see enough offensive talent for them to go very far in the tournament. Vols look very uncomfortable playing against another defensively tough team like Missouri.

Reaction Score
There's a roided up Pastner coaching GA Tech. Tech gets after you. This was a load up easy line for me. Making up for getting screwed elsewhere. Mizzou too.

Clemson screwed me yet again. They have completely imploded. Although I didn't know Barnes was back.

Trendan Watford looks like a really good player. Reminds me of a more aggressive, less athletic Sticks. He was shadowed by Naz Reid. Even though LSU ultimately let me down.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
OSU snapped Oregon's 28 game home winning streak. Pretty much were in control the whole game. Unbelievably, OSU's first road win over a ranked opponent since 1985. That means Gary Payton ('86-'90) never got a single road win over a ranked team while he was in college. That absolutely stunned me when I saw that.

Reaction Score
There's a roided up Pastner coaching GA Tech. Tech gets after you. This was a load up easy line for me. Making up for getting screwed elsewhere. Mizzou too.

Clemson screwed me yet again. They have completely imploded. Although I didn't know Barnes was back.

Trendan Watford looks like a really good player. Reminds me of a more aggressive, less athletic Sticks. He was shadowed by Naz Reid. Even though LSU ultimately let me down.

Barnes was back (7 points) MJ Walker missed most of the second hald after taking a shot to the head, Anthony Polite was out for the second game with a strained shoulder...

Ham played 14....

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Syracuse getting annihilated right now. Their zone is straight up Swiss cheese VA is shooting wide open shots. Their close outs are either non-existent or 2 steps late. If you’re going to play this soft zone you really need long, athletic guys.

Reaction Score
Syracuse getting annihilated right now. Their zone is straight up Swiss cheese VA is shooting wide open shots. Their close outs are either non-existent or 2 steps late. If you’re going to play this soft zone you really need long, athletic guys.
VA's guard Kihei Clark had his way weaving around their zone. He destroyed it. He was getting to the inside then throwing up lobs to baseline cutters. Happened over and over while Jim was picking his nose. Excellent coaching by Bennett.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom