Sat. (2/2) games | The Boneyard

Sat. (2/2) games

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
12pm
#2 UConn @ Cincinnati (ESPN3/SNY)

1pm
Buffalo @ Central Michigan (ESPN3). A rematch of last year's MAC championship game. Currently both are projected in the NCAA field as a 9 and 10 seed, respectively.

2pm
Texas Tech @ #1 Baylor (Fox Sports Southwest). BU looks to bounce back from a subpar showing at OkSt.
#3 Louisville @ Clemson (ACC Network Extra). A rare Saturday game in the ACC.
23 Iowa State @ Kansas State (ESPN3). K-State upset Texas at home; can they do the same to ISU?
Hampton @ High Point (ESPN3). This one's for @triaddukefan . Both are contending for the Big South title. Hampton is in its first year in the Big South, after leaving its longtime home in the MEAC.

3pm
Old Dominion @ Rice (ESPN3). Rice is 8-0 in C-USA; ODU is 7-2.
SMU @ Houston. The old Southwest Conference rivals face off.

4pm
#12 Texas @ Oklahoma (Fox Sports Southwest). Texas tries to bounce back from its loss at home to WVU.

5pm
#25 BYU @ Pepperdine (WCC Network). BYU just dropped its first conference game to LMU; looking to bounce back here.

7pm
Cal @ #9 Stanford (Pac-12 Bay Area). Stanford seeks revenge after its 1-point loss at Cal two days ago.

8pm
#15 Gonzaga @ St. Mary's (WCC Network , also showing on "Stadium 1" network). Another tough road challenge for the Zags vs. an RPI top 50 opponent.

Last edited:

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I complain sometimes about scheduling in the ACC, especially on the men's side, where some teams will meet each other twice (NC State/UNC) before others even meet each other once (UNC/Duke). But what is up with Cal and Stanford women meeting twice in a three-day period?

Plebe

Reaction Score
I complain sometimes about scheduling in the ACC, especially on the men's side, where some teams will meet each other twice (NC State/UNC) before others even meet each other once (UNC/Duke). But what is up with Cal and Stanford women meeting twice in a three-day period?
This has been a quirk in Pac-12 scheduling ever since the expansion to 12 teams.

Because the scheduling is built around "travel partners" playing a "quad" format each weekend, two separate weeks would be needed for the two "rivalry" games in order to avoid the back-to-back thing. But my understanding is the Pac-12 doesn't traditionally start conference play until after New Year's, and this leaves them one week short (since they play an 18-game schedule over a 9-week period, as opposed to the 10-week period on the men's side).

This year and last, some of the teams have played one of their rivalry games in late December, but I believe this date was moved on their own initiative and by mutual agreement of both teams. (If I have any of this information wrong, someone please correct me.)

Reaction Score
Oregon and Oregon State play Friday, Feb. 15 @ UO, then Monday, Feb. 18 @ OSU.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This year and last, some of the teams have played one of their rivalry games in late December, but I believe this date was moved on their own initiative and by mutual agreement of both teams. (If I have any of this information wrong, someone please correct me.)

I think you have this correct. I believe everybody other than Stanford/Cal and the Oregon schools split up their rivalry games this season.

Reaction Score
I think college hoops needs a lobotomy.
Few big games to look forward to.
The scheduling snafus mentioned.
Stupid leagues like the American.
How about the Iowa fans storming the court last night after beating Michigan. Really? Iowa has been tough at home for 100 years. Who the hell is Michigan? UCLA with Walton.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
2pm
Texas Tech @ #1 Baylor (Fox Sports Southwest). BU looks to bounce back from a subpar showing at OkSt.
#3 Louisville @ Clemson (ACC Network Extra). A rare Saturday game in the ACC.
23 Iowa State @ Kansas State (ESPN3). K-State upset Texas at home; can they do the same to ISU?
Hampton @ High Point (ESPN3). This one's for @triaddukefan . Both are contending for the Big South title. Hampton is in its first year in the Big South, after leaving its longtime home in the MEAC.

Counting on my Panthers to send Hampton back home with a big L :mad:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not WCBB but just finished watching the end of the VPI-State Men's game.... final score was 47-24 VPI. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and State is ranked..... well they wont be ranked after this. The Wuffies shot 9-54.... 2-28 from the 3 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

@LETTERL what the heck did i just watch :eek::eek::eek::eek:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Not WCBB but just finished watching the end of the VPI-State Men's game.... final score was 47-24 VPI. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and State is ranked..... well they wont be ranked after this. The Wuffies shot 9-54.... 2-28 from the 3 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Better question is why did you watch it? I can't handle that kind of ineptitude.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Central Michigan led by as much as 16 late in 1Q, but Buffalo has stormed back to make it a game. CMU leads 39-37 at the half.

Reyna Frost had a huge 1st half for CMU: 19 points and 9 rebounds.
Presley Hudson sat much of 2Q with 2 fouls.
Dillard has 15 for Buffalo.

Reaction Score

You will never get those 2 hours back. I won’t get the 2 hours back from the UConn, Cinn game either. Wow, 17% from the field. At home. They’re only 4-5 in the ACC. I still believe that a team should not get a bid if they are not at least .500 in their league. We’ll see.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Better question is why did you watch it? I can't handle that kind of ineptitude.

Well i watched some of the first half.... wondered if they could at least get to 20 points by halftime. Figured they would snap out of it.. and get to at least 50 points by the end of the game. Left.... got some lunch... watch some Duke-St Johns a little of the UCONN women's game... and saw the score.... turned it back on... watched to see if they could get to 40.... then if they could get to 30. Kids couldnt even get to 25 :oops: And its not like State is a bad team.

You will never get those 2 hours back. I won’t get the 2 hours back from the UConn, Cinn game either. Wow, 17% from the field. At home. They’re only 4-5 in the ACC. I still believe that a team should not get a bid if they are not at least .500 in their league. We’ll see.

two hours?? naw...... i probably watched for a total of 10-15 minutes of live action.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score

I am mystified. Toward the end, I started laughing,, it was so bad. I mean, point blank shots just rimming out...missed layups...airballs...lots of clanking off the rim...one time, the point guard passed the ball to a shooter with something that resembled a hail mary pass in football that went three rows into the stands...nothing went right.

I don't know what the record is for fewest points in a men's game during the shot clock era...but 24 points has to be a contender. I'm sure sports writers are researching all the historic events that occurred in PNC arena today. I do know this was the second fewest points scored by NC State since 1968.

All that being said...the team did play hard on the defensive end. Shots just wouldn't fall.

I hope the ladies can put more points on the board tomorrow and that this anomalous performance by the Wolfpack men isn't a bad omen.

Reaction Score
This has been a quirk in Pac-12 scheduling ever since the expansion to 12 teams.

Because the scheduling is built around "travel partners" playing a "quad" format each weekend, two separate weeks would be needed for the two "rivalry" games in order to avoid the back-to-back thing. But my understanding is the Pac-12 doesn't traditionally start conference play until after New Year's, and this leaves them one week short (since they play an 18-game schedule over a 9-week period, as opposed to the 10-week period on the men's side).

The motivation for playing both rivalry games in the same week was to allow the women’s conference tournament to be played the weekend before the men’s tournament. This is the first year that four of the rivalry pairs on their own avoided that scheduling quirk by moving their first rivalry game to late December. The Oregon schools and the Bay Area schools did not do that so they still play their rivalry games back to back. Kelly Graves’s explanation for not moving it....it would have made Oregon’s first game back after Christmas break a rivalry game against a top 10 team. Instead, he scheduled one of his exhibition games the last week of December.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Baylor is absolutely shellacking Texas Tech, up 74-21 (!) at end of 3Q.

The other two ranked teams in action now, Louisville and Iowa State, are both up comfortably on the road against Clemson and Kansas State.

Central Michigan hung on to beat Buffalo, 76-65, in a matchup of two Sweet 16 teams from last year. Reyna Frost had a monster game with 28 points and 21 rebounds. Presley Hudson shook off a bad 1st half and finished with 21. Cierra Dillard of Buffalo finished right at her average with 25.

Reaction Score
Baylor's freshmen...

so-hot-right-now-23482456.png

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know Im probably the only person who pays attention to the Big South Conference.... but this is the first year that the conference tournament final will be played at the higher seeded team's home court. In previous years the whole tournament (well maybe just starting with quarterfinals) has been at Liberty U. LU left the conference last year. So these games really count this year with the new format.

Big South Conference - 2019 WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

The 2019 Big South Women's Basketball Championship features a new "double-pod" host format -- the No. 1 and No. 2 seed host the Quarterfinals and Semifinals. All 11 teams will participate in the conference's annual postseason event, with first round games to held at the home site of the No. 6, No. 7 and 8 seeds on Tuesday, March 12. The No. 1 and No. 2 seeds will each host two quarterfinals and one semifinal on March 14-15, with the highest remaining seed hosting the Championship game on Sunday, March 17 at TBD on ESPN+.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Houston beat SMU in overtime, 69-68, to stay a half-game behind 3rd-place Cincinnati.

That's Houston's 5th overtime game this season (beating Georgia Tech and SMU, losing to New Mexico, UT Arlington and Louisiana Tech). I wonder what's the record for most overtime games in a season?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford is serving up a nice helping of revenge against Cal today. Led 22-5 after Q1. 34-14 approaching halftime. Anigwe is closing in on a double double at halftime again but it looks as though all of her teammates are M.I.A. After they hit 12-30 behind the arc on Friday they are returning to the norm and are 0-8 so far today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom