OT: - Sappy Songs | The Boneyard

OT: Sappy Songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So many Music Topics! Posters keep beating me to the board. Anyway, I was listening to the radio, in the background, and this song comes up. I thought "What a sappy" song. ( Sometimes called cheesy love songs.) I'm sure some people will love some songs posted here, but personally, I'm just quick to change the station. Please feel free to post your "unfavorites."

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
There’s nothing wrong with sad songs. “At Seventeen” by Janis Ian and “Ode to Billy Joe” by Bobbie Gentry are perfect examples of songs that had sad stories to tell, but they were also meaningful and even profound on some level. In stark contrast, “Honey” has nothing to say except just how **y it was that his wife died.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The Grand Poobah of sappy love songs, “Feelings” combined the traditional cheeseball ballad with the corny flakiness of the lounge act and created a monster. Children of the Seventies well remember the horror of hearing this come on the car radio. Despite urgent pleas to turn it off, our parents would sing along instead. Oh, the humanity! (NOTE: This is NOT my original comment, but it does sum up my "Feelings." haha

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This one gets bonus points for being a sappy song about sappy songs. But, now I’m faced with a question: which decade excelled in sappiness the most? I would say the 1980s were the Golden Age of Sap. In the 1970s, soft rock flourished, but it only rarely had the sugary outer-coating that 80s artists dripped on their songs so lovingly. In other words, 70s soft rock was about getting high and introspective and taking it down a notch; whereas, 80s pop was a damn schmaltzapalooza.

Reaction Score
I immediately change the channel when this song comes on. It's become a joke around my house as to how quickly I respond to hearing the first few bars...

At least it's seasonal only. Yes I am a heartless you know what. ;):D

Reaction Score
Saccharine!

Funny this is one of my favorite song. I remember in 1977 I was a student and with friends we drove from State College PA to NYC, this song was constantly played in different radio station for the 6 hours drive.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
There’s nothing wrong with sad songs. “At Seventeen” by Janis Ian and “Ode to Billy Joe” by Bobbie Gentry are perfect examples of songs that had sad stories to tell, but they were also meaningful and even profound on some level. In stark contrast, “Honey” has nothing to say except just how **y it was that his wife died.

"Honey" is a song that I really don't like to listen to because it makes me so sad. Always has, and always will. BTW, I didn't click on and listen to it this time either.

Reaction Score
The Grand Poobah of sappy love songs, “Feelings” combined the traditional cheeseball ballad with the corny flakiness of the lounge act and created a monster. Children of the Seventies well remember the horror of hearing this come on the car radio. Despite urgent pleas to turn it off, our parents would sing along instead. Oh, the humanity! (NOTE: This is NOT my original comment, but it does sum up my "Feelings." haha

Oh man did you ever nail this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22