Santa Clara county has put restrictions on games | The Boneyard

Santa Clara county has put restrictions on games

Reaction Score
so Stanford has had to cancel several already, and the restrictions go at least through Dec. 19, so Tara may not pull that far ahead of Geno because of our cancelled games. Heck, he may even catch up if Santa Clara extends the rules.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What I understand is that anyone traveling/returning to Santa Clara County from over 150 miles must quarantine for 14 days. There can’t be many Stanford opponents inside 150 miles from Palo Alto. Cal comes to mind. After that I don’t know.

Reaction Score
What I understand is that anyone traveling/returning to Santa Clara County from over 150 miles must quarantine for 14 days. There can’t be many Stanford opponents inside 150 miles from Palo Alto. Cal comes to mind. After that I don’t know.

That is one part of the regulation. But another part bans all "contact sports" until further notice.

Stanford's football team btw will reportedly be relocating to Oregon or Washington until the ban is lifted. Their basketball teams may follow.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score

Only Cal from the Pac 12, but others in the area are: San Jose State, Cal Poly, Santa Clara U, San Francisco, Pacific, UC Davis - so they could reschedule some games against a couple of those. UCONN played both UC Davis and Pacific a few years ago.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Only Cal from the Pac 12, but others in the area are: San Jose State, Cal Poly, Santa Clara U, San Francisco, Pacific, UC Davis - so they could reschedule some games against a couple of those. UCONN played both UC Davis and Pacific a few years ago.
They cannot do that if reported ban on contact sports includes basketball. And Tara sure reads it that way.

"However, coach Tara VanDerveer said her No. 2-ranked women’s basketball team canceled Monday’s game and will not play or practice at the school until the restrictions are lifted. The Cardinal had four home games and three road contests scheduled through Dec. 21.

“We’ll be playing when it is safe,” VanDerveer said. “We’re flexible. We will do what we’re told to do and what we can do.”

Last edited:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
They cannot do that if reported ban on contact sports includes basketball.

True, but both UC Davis and Pacific are outside Santa Clara County, but within 150 miles, although I'd be surprised if those areas are not already under similar restrictions.

Reaction Score
I believe some were speculating that for Stanford home conference games they might try to reverse the schedule. Instead of cancelling at home, play that game at the opponents court, then switch what would have been an away game down the road to a home game after the restriction is lifted. I don't know if they could pull that off or not from a scheduling standpoint.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I believe some were speculating that for Stanford home conference games they might try to reverse the schedule. Instead of cancelling at home, play that game at the opponents court, then switch what would have been an away game down the road to a home game after the restriction is lifted. I don't know if they could pull that off or not from a scheduling standpoint.
That would entail a 14 day quarantine when they returned from an away game or games.

Reaction Score
Nothing stops them from relocating the team outside the restricted area until the ban is lifted.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nothing stops them from relocating the team outside the restricted area until the ban is lifted.
True but the expense and logistics of that could be daunting, not to mention is this other location in your control and does not itself pose a greater Covid hazard. Then there is the whole practice facility dilemna. But wait, there's more....

Reaction Score
I think I saw where the 49ers are moving to Arizona for the duration.

Reaction Score
True but the expense and logistics of that could be daunting, not to mention is this other location in your control and does not itself pose a greater Covid hazard. Then there is the whole practice facility dilemna. But wait, there's more....

This is a private college with extensive influence through their alumni. Stanford has more resources than the WNBA and their bubble. This isn't a bubble and wouldn't be as costly.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is a private college with extensive influence through their alumni. Stanford has more resources than the WNBA and their bubble. This isn't a bubble and wouldn't be as costly.

Maybe a 26 bedroom estate overlooking the Pacific? Oh, and with a basketball court and a theatre.

Reaction Score
The Stanford men are in Maui Ashville playing. Will they have to quarantine for 2 weeks when they come home?

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No practice and no home games for the Cardinal.

Covid was causing Geno to fall further behind Tara, but now it may be closing the gap. Very strange year!!

Reaction Score
Maybe a 26 bedroom estate overlooking the Pacific? Oh, and with a basketball court and a theatre.

Sounds like my first college, except it was on the N shore of Long Island and had no theater.

Reaction Score
The Stanford men are in Maui Ashville playing. Will they have to quarantine for 2 weeks when they come home?

Asheville and Maui are pretty similar, just like South Dakota and the Bahamas. Some of these tournaments got moved to interesting places.

I am assuming that if they have an alternate location lined up by then that they will be allowed to return, collect their belongings, and leave.

The ban on practice is the real killer. Maybe the county clarified later, but it sounded like the interpretation was really 75 miles because it was counting the total mileage for travel so if you were already in Santa Clara county and leaving and then coming back it would be round trip.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom