Sanogo's next step | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sanogo's next step

Reaction Score
No, he averages 2.9 fouls per game in 28 minutes. The games he's been in foul trouble are the exception, not the norm

Per 40 he's averaging 4.1 fouls.

Whaley 3.9
Martin 2.7
Andre 3.4
Cole 3.0
Polley 2.7
Gaffney: 4.4
Hawkins 2.8

Gaffney I'm not too worried about because he plays so few minutes at this point. But I think BOTH of our frontcourt players have some fouling issues we need to sort out. Also consider his fouls vs our ranked opponents

Nova: 4
Xavier: 4
Marquette: 2
Hall: 3
Auburn: 4 (in huge minutes of course)

So vs ranked opponents he's averaging 3.5 fouls. In 4/6 games he had 4 fouls. He was basically in foul trouble every game but Marquette. Not good, and definitely the norm, not the exception at this point. At least vs our best opponents.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Is anyone concerned that he gets in foul trouble so often in a league that allows a lot of banging by the refs in the NCAA where refs from the fluffy ACC or some other “ finesse“ conference won’t?
When he get's into foul trouble it stands out because he does such a good job of staying out of foul trouble. He does need to work on not fouling so far from the basket, but that's nitpicking on him

Reaction Score
Per 40 he's averaging 4.1 fouls.

Whaley 3.9
Martin 2.7
Andre 3.4
Cole 3.0
Polley 2.7
Gaffney: 4.4
Hawkins 2.8

Gaffney I'm not too worried about because he plays so few minutes at this point. But I think BOTH of our frontcourt players have some fouling issues we need to sort out. Also consider his fouls vs our ranked opponents

Xavier: 4
Marquette: 2
Hall: 3
Auburn: 4 (in huge minutes of course)

So vs ranked opponents he's averaging 3.5 fouls. In 4/6 games he had 4 fouls. He was basically in foul trouble every game but Marquette. Not good, and definitely the norm, not the exception at this point. At least vs our best opponents.
Yeah I have a very different takeaway from those stats. 4.1 fouls per 40 minutes is not concerning to me. Even in the games you listed against ranked opponents where he supposedly had a lot of fouls he played 37 minutes against Auburn, 35 against Marquette, 32 against Seton Hall, 33 against Villanova (2nd time). So I'd say that yes it is the exception that he's in foul trouble to the point his minutes are getting cut into, really only happend with Xavier and Nova.

And against those same Xavier and Seton Hall teams he struggled with the first time he played 39 and 34 minutes with 1 foul the second time

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Sanogo's next step is a midrange jumper and better court vision for his passing

Reaction Score
I bet that Sanogo has touch on jump shots. It hasn’t become part of his game yet but we’ll see it next year, pretty sure.
Agreed - especially when you see him at the free throw line.

Reaction Score
Yeah I have a very different takeaway from those stats. 4.1 fouls per 40 minutes is not concerning to me. Even in the games you listed against ranked opponents where he supposedly had a lot of fouls he played 37 minutes against Auburn, 35 against Marquette, 32 against Seton Hall, 33 against Villanova (2nd time). So I'd say that yes it is the exception that he's in foul trouble to the point his minutes are getting cut into, really only happend with Xavier and Nova.

And against those same Xavier and Seton Hall teams he struggled with the first time he played 39 and 34 minutes with 1 foul the second time

Our FTRD is 267th in the country and he's our worst fouler. 4 fouls is 4 fouls, no matter how you slice it. He'd be playing 35 minutes a game instead of 28 if he didn't have foul trouble, especially in the first half. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Reaction Score
Agreed - especially when you see him at the free throw line.

He's shooting 68% from the line, that isn't exactly inspiring. His jump shot is nonexistent. It is going to take A LOT of work for him to add a consistent outside shot to his game.

Reaction Score
He's shooting 68% from the line, that isn't exactly inspiring. His jump shot is nonexistent. It is going to take A LOT of work for him to add a consistent outside shot to his game.
He’s not throwing rocks up there. Do the eye test. He’s had games where he’s shot at a high percentage, good form, rotation, etc. Haven’t seen it much this season, but Watson for PC is a good comparison. Had zero outside game until the Covid year and came out with a respectable 15 footer.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He’s ahead of you. Think you’re describing things he’s already made good progress on during this season. He rarely tries that hook from 8 foot out anymore, and has gotten better at passing out when doubled.

Next step is face the basket shooting from other spots in the court and eventually treys. We can dream, no?
Due to what hear about his work ethic nothing would surprise me about his development. You know he was special when as a big he came in as a freshman with that footwork and soft touch for such a big and strong young man. He is all you could want in a recruit.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I think developing three point range is a bit ambitious but a little 5-7 foot reliable corner jumper would be a nice addition to his repertoire. Emeka rarely missed from that range/angle and it made him even more unstoppable.

Reaction Score
College BBall just needs to up the fouls per game to 6. Fans are paying to see the players. Not to see them sit with foul trouble

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom