Sanogo wants more PT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sanogo wants more PT

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Can you imagine Calhoun pulling Okafor because the 4th worst team in the conference went with 5 guards?

This is just a weak look from a guy with so much intensity. I'd expect a comment like this from the previous regime, but sad to see if coming from the current staff. They need to reevaluate how they prepare their game scripts and focus being the team that dictates the game, especially when you have an unstoppable force like Sanogo was today. The fact he couldn't figure out how to exploit St. Johns small ball with Sanogo playing out of his mind inside is a little scary and eyeopening. Instead he let us our poor perimeter defenders get exploited by St Johns.

Reaction Score

This is just a weak look from a guy with so much intensity. I'd expect a comment like this from the previous regime, but sad to see if coming from the current staff. They need to reevaluate how they prepare their game scripts and focus being the team that dictates the game, especially when you have an unstoppable force like Sanogo was today. The fact he couldn't figure out how to exploit St. Johns small ball with Sanogo playing out of his mind inside is a little scary and eyeopening. Instead he let us our poor perimeter defenders get exploited by St Johns.

Pathetic. Play a zone. ANYTHING to keep in Sanogo. He was on fire. He had a stela, block, 6 points ans a couple boards on that stint.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Hurley would have been better off saying nothing.

Alexander was 3 for 5 from 3 and Earlington was 3 for 3 from 3. Everyone else was 1 for 7 from 3. Maybe Sanogo could have covered one of the other 3 players on the court.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Pathetic. Play a zone. ANYTHING to keep in Sanogo. He was on fire. He had a stela, block, 6 points ans a couple boards on that stint.

Exactly. They go 5 out? We counter with zone so we can keep the strength of our team on the floor. Instead Hurley insisted on matching up with a man defense that couldn't stay in front of their defender.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Exactly. They go 5 out? We counter with zone so we can keep the strength of our team on the floor. Instead Hurley insisted on matching up with a man defense that couldn't stay in front of their defender.

And it isn't like our guards are great perimeter defenders either.

Reaction Score
Was Okafor NPOY as a sophomore? I forget. How about Freshman year?

Point me to all the games where Calhoun let South Florida dictate his lineups.
So when Hurley countered Marquette’s BIG lineup in the second half with two bigs of his own when they were down 18, letting Marquette dictate the game, leading to a massive comeback, was that coaching malpractice?

Or was that acceptable Because we won? I’m guessing the latter and you’re being extremely results oriented and in turn, a walking contradiction.

Reaction Score
I assume Hurley will address all this stuff in his public apology.
I want a full Calhoun "I duck*ed up" speech. Apologies don't mean crap if he doesn't realize why everyone is so mad

Reaction Score
The fact is Sanogo was playing great. He’s played bad in some games and was justifiably benched. How can you justifiably bench him here? I don’t care if the matchup wasn’t ideal down the stretch. The kid extended our lead and was unguardable for stretches, you don’t bench that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So when Hurley countered Marquette’s BIG lineup in the second half with two bigs of his own when they were down 18, letting Marquette dictate the game, leading to a massive comeback, was that coaching malpractice?

Or was that acceptable Because we won? I’m guessing the latter and you’re being extremely results oriented and in turn, a walking contradiction.

We beat USC and Marquette playing big lineups because UConn is better when it has big lineups on the floor. I don't know if you are familiar with the sport of basketball, but there is a decided height advantage in it. Our frontcourt also happens to be a team strength. Or we could play our backup guards some more and see where that takes us.

Reaction Score
Hurley has a boat load of terrific attributes, but in-game management is not one of them. My question is, "Where the hell are the rest of our coaches. Does no one see what is going on?". Do the assistant coaches not have the latitude to get on his ear every now and then? Seems like a better option than losing to St. Johns.

Reaction Score

That's called a coach who recognized his strength is with his bigs when Bouk is out. Something he should have remembered today

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Actually this is a good point. Hurley saw that small ball lineup wasn't working and made a change to a 2 bigs lineup that made us a better offensive team. Great adjustment from the game plan to something that worked better. Somehow, he must have forgotten that lesson today when our guards couldn't put the ball in the hoop or protect the rim?

Reaction Score
The Johnnies were playing small all game. It wasn't unique to the second half. That should of been called out by a semi-decent reporter.

Our guards were getting abused on the perimeter. At some point you have to make an adjustment. Posh was killing us all game and no adjustment made to slow him down. Our guards aren't good enough to justify going small.

PS: Does USC take Evan Mobley out of the game because St. John plays small?

PS: Hurley needs to clearly highlight what his actually basketball philosophy is because its unclear. It seems to be 4 guards and 1 big most times. That is the message on the court and by players like Martin

Reaction Score
We beat USC and Marquette playing big lineups because UConn is better when it has big lineups on the floor. I don't know if you are familiar with the sport of basketball, but there is a decided height advantage in it. Our frontcourt also happens to be a team strength. Or we could play our backup guards some more and see where that takes us.
Ohhhhh got it. So when we let teams dictate with Bigs which leaves us having to play two of Whaley/Sanogo/Carlton that’s OK, but when teams dictate guards, that’s not OK. Makes sense now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom