Sanogo v Kalkcindor watch | The Boneyard

Sanogo v Kalkcindor watch

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Thought I'd begin tracking the respective performances of our All Big East guy and the second coming of Kareem.

(1) A. Sanogo: 19 min. 19 pts. 6rbs 1 assist
(1) R.Kalkcindor: 30 min 8 pts. 9 rbs 0 assists

Reaction Score
I understand where you're coming from, but after Kalk's comments, I'd actually be interested in seeing how the numbers look through the season.
Yeah but wait until they start playing the same competition at least

Reaction Score
We've also seen them play head to head and Kalk was better. So let's see who is better this year
Based on what? Certainly not head to head stats....

Adama Stats vs Creighton

10.4 ppg / 7.8 RPG / 1.6 BPG

Kalkbrenner Stats vs UConn

9 ppg / 5.2 RPG / 0.2 BPG

This is only close bc Kalk hung up 22/10 in the last game while Adama had 13 pts, 16 boards, and 6 blocks in that same game....

Reaction Score
Based on what? Certainly not head to head stats....

Adama Stats vs Creighton

10.4 ppg / 7.8 RPG / 1.6 BPG

Kalkbrenner Stats vs UConn

9 ppg / 5.2 RPG / 0.2 BPG

This is only close bc Kalk hung up 22/10 in the last game while Adama had 13 pts, 16 boards, and 6 blocks in that same game....
I meant specifically last year, I think its fair to use that as the data point.

Kalk definitely outplayed him significantly in the 2nd game, especially if you watched. Adama shot 6-16 that game. Kalk pretty much won the game for them.

Adama was a bit better in the first game though. He had 8 and 9 while Kalk 4 and 6.

Reaction Score
I would not compare the stats from two games against different opponents. However, the good thing about the in season matchup will be that it will be two against one in UConn’s favor. He will have to go up against Adama first, and then Donovan. Thankfully this is a team sport.

Reaction Score
We're really doing this after one game against D2 level teams?

Creighton and Kalk are 5-0 against us H2H, Creighton has won 3 tournament games and we've won 0 over the past 2 years, and Kalk dominated Sanogo in the last matchup.

Let's just wait until they go against each other and see who wins the matchup.

Reaction Score
RE: Kalkbrenner/Sanogo head-to-head last year, Creighton completely sold out to try and stop Sanogo (and, to a lesser extent, Martin and Cole). It was their main defensive strategy. At XL Center in particular, Creighton completely ignored Isaiah Whaley in favor of double-teaming Sanogo. UConn struggled to overcome this, and Sanogo's individual numbers definitely took a hit as a result.

Stopping Kalkbrenner wasn't the same level of priority for UConn. I thought we did a horrible job guarding him at times when we played @Creighton. I seem to remember him finishing lob after lob off of simple pick & roll actions.

It will be interesting to see how differently our team responds to Sanogo double-teams this year. Sanogo should be better at passing out of them, and the ability to play Karaban at the 4 to provide legitimate shooting and better cutting/playmaking should be huge as well.

Reaction Score
I meant specifically last year, I think its fair to use that as the data point.

Kalk definitely outplayed him significantly in the 2nd game, especially if you watched. Adama shot 6-16 that game. Kalk pretty much won the game for them.

Adama was a bit better in the first game though. He had 8 and 9 while Kalk 4 and 6.
Not so fast. Kalk outlayed Hurley's defense, not Sanogo. There is supposed to be someone covering the released guy at the hedge.

Reaction Score
Not jumping through hoops, just laying out the facts/stats. That last game Kalkbrenner had more points and shot a better % while not being doubled constantly. Adama shot worse but also had 13 points and 16 boards along with 6 blocks while being doubled constantly. Pulling hairs on that one imo

Reaction Score
Not jumping through hoops, just laying out the facts/stats. That last game Kalkbrenner had more points and shot a better % while not being doubled constantly. Adama shot worse but also had 13 points and 16 boards along with 6 blocks while being doubled constantly. Pulling hairs on that one imo
Just saying, if you watched, which i'm sure you did, it was very easy to see that Kalk had a better game. Stats don't tell the whole story.

Reaction Score
Kalkbrenner didn't do much in all his other games against UConn but his team won every time. He dominated that game you're referring to though and was responsible for that win. He had 20 points in the second half and scored 12 straight points down the stretch.

Reaction Score
We're really doing this after one game against D2 level teams?

Creighton and Kalk are 5-0 against us H2H, Creighton has won 3 tournament games and we've won 0 over the past 2 years, and Kalk dominated Sanogo in the last matchup.

Let's just wait until they go against each other and see who wins the matchup.
That’s revisionist history. He didn’t dominate Sanogo. And if you want to widen the scale and include their performance in BE play Sanogo was objectively better against the same competition. Even with a 6/16 effort he had 16 rebs and 6 blocked shots. Kalk’s big game was a scheme isssue not a Sanogo issue

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Start a ridiculous thread and you get all kinds of useless arguments about last season
Let's wait until its AS vs Kalk this season

Reaction Score
Start a ridiculous thread and you get all kinds of useless arguments about last season
Let's wait until its AS vs Kalk this season
But if we wait, how can I prematurely celebrate the good guy and write off the bad guy?

Reaction Score
Kalksucker isn’t going to be able to take Sanogo’s girth this year. I expect he’ll try to take it to the hole, but will likely choke

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom