Sanogo MIA Pt. II | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sanogo MIA Pt. II

Reaction Score
Because he was awful tonight. Traveling, fouling and the inability not to pass out of a double team was painful.
The whole team was awful tonight. Sanogo didn’t even play for half the damn game. Would’ve would’ve much rather see more action with him in

Reaction Score
I think sitting with two quick fouls for 14 minutes and then through half time has to affect him. He should have played at least a few minutes more of the first half to keep the legs going. They have no chance without Sanogo and he should have dominated MD in the paint. I don't get that call.

Reaction Score
Because he was awful tonight. Traveling, fouling and the inability not to pass out of a double team was painful.
I agree with you on the inability to pass out of the double teams. I don’t think the 1 travel and 2 first half fouls is a reason to not play him though. Granted we struggled with entry passes, but he 100% should have gotten more minutes.

Reaction Score
I think sitting with two quick fouls for 14 minutes and then through half time has to affect him.
Careful. Pointing that out got me spazzed on.

Reaction Score
I think sitting with two quick fouls for 14 minutes and then through half time has to affect him. He should have played at least a few minutes more of the first half to keep the legs going. They have no chance without Sanogo and he should have dominated MD in the paint. I don't get that call.
I've seen UConn women transfer for things like that.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
He was getting worked on D getting pulled out to the 3 point line. He didn’t make them pay on the other end and had plenty of attempts.

Offensively he had 1 travel early. Then he never got an entry pass all game. His only points came off an offensive rebound. The kid is a stud and should have been fed until MD proved they could stop him.

Reaction Score
Sanogo was a lost cause on defense tonight. He cannot play against a big that can hit the three (44% shooter) and also put it on the floor.

They played 5 out (same as St. John’s). If you want to play Sanogo a ton of minutes against 5 out you have to play Zone defense (UConn played zone defense on 1% of possessions this year).

If you want to play zone defense, when we haven’t played it all year, against a team that shoots extremely well from 3, then idk what to tel you.

Reaction Score
He gets in foul trouble too early. It’s not unexpected for a freshman big man. I expect growth next season.

I do agree that the offense runs better when they at least throw to him down low. It’s rather unusual in college where guards steal the show, but he’s got talent that’s hard to defend if he can mature as a player.

Reaction Score
I agree with you on the inability to pass out of the double teams. I don’t think the 1 travel and 2 first half fouls is a reason to not play him though. Granted we struggled with entry passes, but he 100% should have gotten more minutes.

He would have gotten more minutes if he didn't get in foul trouble early.

Reaction Score
He would have gotten more minutes if he didn't get in foul trouble early.
I think the point being made is how little he played in the second half. He had 16 total mins in the game. We could have really used him to gain some footing on offense in the second.

Reaction Score
It was more egregious vs St. Johns... that was coaching malpractice. Literally.

Today, Sanogo wasn't quite capitalizing offensively the way you'd hope, so I can understand it. Though I would have played him 6 or 7 more minutes in the second half, personally.
At John’s game may have decided coach of the year too

Reaction Score
He’s got to learn how to avoid picking up cheap fouls early. It’s absolutely brutal. Hopefully that’ll come in time.
I think folks look at him and forget he is a freshman. The same thing with Bouk in that he is a sophomore. Development into pros takes some time and you cannot skip steps.

Reaction Score
I keep reading that Sanogo doesn't match up on the perimeter when teams spread the floor. Hurley clearly agrees. I think we give up our inside post scoring threat and likely give them a couple extra possessions by not controlling our defensive boards. I guess I missed the part of these games where the strategy worked big time because we shut down the opponents from outside. Just think how much worse it would have been to have Sanogo in the game. (he said with dripping sarcasm)

Reaction Score
Anyone have a solid rationale as to why we saw so little of him?
We couldn't afford to have 2 bigs on the court when we fell behind by 11. Sanogo had to sit with 2 fouls in the first half. In the second half we needed to pressure the ball more on defense so that is why we played with one Big and Polley a lot. Polley more to score 3's and should be able to cover smaller defenders better than Sanogo. Whaley is a better defender who can cover 5's out to the circle so he played most of the second half their. Too bad Sanogo go cheap fouls as it took us out of our game for sure of getting inside.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why he sits with 2 fouls if he won’t get playing time if we’re losing anyways? I am a Hurley fan but i honestly can’t think any coach in America would handle a talent like sanogo materially worse

Reaction Score
2 fouls, 1 travel - He still is a force.!! The smartest comment in this thread:

The question that I have is, why pull him with 2 first half fouls if you’re just going to sit him anyway?

Play to your strengths coach, please????????

Kind of summarizes our failed attempt.

Not going to disparage any of our player but S should hae gotten more PT. Be positive!

Reaction Score
We couldn't afford to have 2 bigs on the court when we fell behind by 11. Sanogo had to sit with 2 fouls in the first half. In the second half we needed to pressure the ball more on defense so that is why we played with one Big and Polley a lot. Polley more to score 3's and should be able to cover smaller defenders better than Sanogo. Whaley is a better defender who can cover 5's out to the circle so he played most of the second half their. Too bad Sanogo go cheap fouls as it took us out of our game for sure of getting inside.
This makes no sense to me. We were down 11 at the half - and we racked up that deficit with Sanogo on the bench.

20 minutes is plenty of time to erase an 11-point deficit. The best way to do that is to play your best lineup. If you think Sanogo is part of that lineup in a tie game, then he’s part of that lineup in an 11-point deficit as well.

Nothing about the game situation forced Sanogo to the bench. That’s a choice Hurley made.

Reaction Score
The first half he had foul trouble. I get it. There's no excuse in the second half.
Because when constantly down 10 to 14 points in the second half you arent going to make a big run dumping the ball down to your big who may or may not score and is a 60% free throw shooter. Also Marylands big could step out and hit the 3 and Sanogo failed to cover that a couple times. When only 1 of your starters scores in double digits youre going to have a hard time winning games.

Reaction Score
He was getting worked on D getting pulled out to the 3 point line. He didn’t make them pay on the other end and had plenty of attempts.
He was, but that’s where Dan Hurley is gonna have to learn to adapt. Sometimes you need to change defenses. He plays like we always have 5 interchangeable defenders, and we don’t.

Reaction Score
This makes no sense to me. We were down 11 at the half - and we racked up that deficit with Sanogo on the bench.

20 minutes is plenty of time to erase an 11-point deficit. The best way to do that is to play your best lineup. If you think Sanogo is part of that lineup in a tie game, then he’s part of that lineup in an 11-point deficit as well.

Nothing about the game situation forced Sanogo to the bench. That’s a choice Hurley made.
Sorry Sanogo was brutal on defense and that is why he picked up those 2 fouls. His game is still developing offensively and he was constantly being beat off the dribble. Maybe if we could have played zone he could have stayed out there.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
In the first half he had limited run due to foul trouble (2 quick, cheap fouls). Then, once we are down double digits trying to play solid 3-point defense to get back in the game, that limited Sonogo in the 2nd half.

Sanogo has no clue how to defend the pick and roll, He got abused on one of those open dunks. It's been a problem all season. Should he have been subbed in for offense more often? Hard to say without dissecting the game tape. The entire second half looked like we were about to make a run without him.

He was definitely a liability on D.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom