Sanogo Fouls Killed Us | The Boneyard

Sanogo Fouls Killed Us

Reaction Score
So Jefferson plays 35 minutes with 14 points and 12 rebounds and Sanogo 21 minutes 13 points 5 rebounds. Between Whaley and Sanogo we had plenty to fight Creighton except Sanogo was kept off the floor. Need him for 30 plus minutes.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Just as big a problem to me is that Hurley stopped trying to get him the ball after his 3rd foul. He was getting whatever he wanted down low, it's completely bizarre that Hurley stopped going to him. Cost us the game IMO

Reaction Score
I can't think of many freshman bigs who don't have foul problems. It's kind of par for the course, IMO. The great thing is that he'll be a sophomore next year, but even this year he's been improving in that area. Sometimes it's just who the refs are, and how they're calling the game.

Reaction Score
I have been reading through these threads which I should not do after a loss.

But little has been said of Martin scoring only 2 points. He took some crazy ass shots and not much presence on defense.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
So Jefferson plays 35 minutes with 14 points and 12 rebounds and Sanogo 21 minutes 13 points 5 rebounds. Between Whaley and Sanogo we had plenty to fight Creighton except Sanogo was kept off the floor. Need him for 30 plus minutes.
Bouknight missing the 1/1 led to Sanogo’s fourth foul... that play really hurt our chances to win the game. That’s on Bouknight.

Reaction Score
I have been reading through these threads which I should not do after a loss.

But little has been said of Martin scoring only 2 points. He took some crazy ass shots and not much presence on defense.
There’s no question that it’s on everyone who shot poorly. I feel blessed to have Sanogo in our uniform. With that footwork and patience. When have we had that in a guy his size? He should be teaching that pivot and patience to his teammates for when they’re inside.

Reaction Score
The Sanogo fouls were the most infuriating. The only way to defend Sanogo is to get him off the floor. Mahoney sliding in front of Sanogo to draw a foul - that was not a defensive play, Sanogo wasn't making an offensive move. The only purpose there was to try to draw a cheap foul and the ref fell for it. Bush league. Last night Creighton was the better team but I would have liked to see UConn compete without having to sit its best weapon because of phantom fouls. It's the Big East Tournament.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I thought some credit should be given to Creighton defense for being very active. They at least were altering shots by being in everyone's face (like our guys did). Overall it was a good game in terms of hustle and especially on defense by both teams. It was an old fashioned Big East rock fight. We killed them on the boards and our guards got pummeled. I think RJ's leaving the game with 4-5 mins remaining didn't help. Also losing Sanogo for a long stretch of the first half took away our momentum. He was pretty unstoppable which is really something to look forward to. He is just going to have learn to be careful. Like Whaley has learned. Once again a number of shots were not made at or around the rim. In comparison to all our previous games I don't remember such consist challenges at the rim by an opponent. Credit Creighton. OT there are some really good young players in the Big East. Besides Sanogo this kid Jefferson has been eating his Wheaties. I can't say I was disappointed by the effort of any player on either side in this game. They were more experienced, especially at the point. On to the next battle!

Reaction Score
I thought the officials killed UConn's momentum early in the game. Earlier in the season, I thought that eventually, the poor free throw shooting would come back to bite UConn, and it did.

Reaction Score
Ummmm what game did you watch? Did you see the shooting percentages of everyone not named Whaley or Sanogo?

This game was mostly about missing open looks. Whaley also passed on a few he should have taken. Make your shots, win the game. The rest looked pretty good although not 100% sharp. Maybe the extra time off will help us, especially Bouk. He seems a little beat up and could use a break. I'm optimistic if we can make a few more shots we can beat anyone, even Gonzaga.

Reaction Score
The hook was a very easy call for the refs to make. I don’t understand why people are so upset about that call. It was a foul and he did it right in front of the ref. The 3rd foul was a joke for the reasons mentioned above. That was a killer.

Reaction Score
Just as big a problem to me is that Hurley stopped trying to get him the ball after his 3rd foul. He was getting whatever he wanted down low, it's completely bizarre that Hurley stopped going to him. Cost us the game IMO

Creighton started boxing him in. He couldn't get a pass down low.

Reaction Score
This game was mostly about missing open looks. Whaley also passed on a few he should have taken. Make your shots, win the game. The rest looked pretty good although not 100% sharp. Maybe the extra time off will help us, especially Bouk. He seems a little beat up and could use a break. I'm optimistic if we can make a few more shots we can beat anyone, even Gonzaga.
Hmmmm. That's definitely being optimistic. There are about 5 teams that would be too much for us and the Zags are definitely one of them. But our A game and another teams C game can make anything possible.

Reaction Score
The original poster has a point. Hurley said that "the difference in the game was probably the 17 offensive rebounds we gave up." Sanogo being out probably contributed to that disparity.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I thought some credit should be given to Creighton defense for being very active. They at least were altering shots by being in everyone's face (like our guys did). Overall it was a good game in terms of hustle and especially on defense by both teams. It was an old fashioned Big East rock fight. We killed them on the boards and our guards got pummeled. I think RJ's leaving the game with 4-5 mins remaining didn't help. Also losing Sanogo for a long stretch of the first half took away our momentum. He was pretty unstoppable which is really something to look forward to. He is just going to have learn to be careful. Like Whaley has learned. Once again a number of shots were not made at or around the rim. In comparison to all our previous games I don't remember such consist challenges at the rim by an opponent. Credit Creighton. OT there are some really good young players in the Big East. Besides Sanogo this kid Jefferson has been eating his Wheaties. I can't say I was disappointed by the effort of any player on either side in this game. They were more experienced, especially at the point. On to the next battle!
Correction: They killed us on the boards. Sanogo foul trouble really impacted rebounds.

Reaction Score
The hook was a very easy call for the refs to make. I don’t understand why people are so upset about that call. It was a foul and he did it right in front of the ref. The 3rd foul was a joke for the reasons mentioned above. That was a killer.
Did you watch the replay? All he hooked was air. Barely even touched his defender.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom