Sanogo First Team All BE | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sanogo First Team All BE

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that the in the New Big East, 1st Team All-Big East is always 6 players. Not really sure why they do that, but it's been the same for years. Also don't have an All-Conference 3rd team for some reason.

Reaction Score
To play devil’s advocate here, we’re talking about a big man with a 49.7% 2PT FG%. We require him to take a huge volume of shots, yes, but that’s not an impressive percentage and a lot of it is still on him. He catches the ball at the point of least resistance (further from the hoop) at the expense of deep positioning and shoots lower percentage shots.

Remove names from the equation and Cole would look like UConn’s best player on paper. I don’t think this is the case in game, but UConn is a team littered with good players that shoot inefficiently. I think Sanogo and Cole both have a case for 1st team Big East, but if the season ended today and neither made it, I think it would be justifiable too.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Gillespie, Bynum, Lewis, Champagne, Sanogo is my guess right now.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
To play devil’s advocate here, we’re talking about a big man with a 49.7% 2PT FG%. We require him to take a huge volume of shots, yes, but that’s not an impressive percentage and a lot of it is still on him. He catches the ball at the point of least resistance (further from the hoop) at the expense of deep positioning and shoots lower percentage shots.

Remove names from the equation and Cole would look like UConn’s best player on paper. I don’t think this is the case in game, but UConn is a team littered with good players that shoot inefficiently. I think Sanogo and Cole both have a case for 1st team Big East, but if the season ended today and neither made it, I think it would be justifiable too.
You’re right, but people pay attention to raw stats when they vote for these things. He’s gonna have an impressive traditional ppg/reb/blk split.

Plus he is pretty good tbh lol.

Reaction Score

I think this is a fair point. For context though, Nate Watson shoots an even lower percentage at 48.5%, and he isn't asked to create nearly as many shots for himself. This is a hard league to be a big guy, considering the amount of contact that is allowed under the basket. Both players open up so much for their teammates by the attention that they draw too.

Also, Sanogo is averaging 10 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game in conference play which certainly helps his case.

Reaction Score
I think this is a fair point. For context though, Nate Watson shoots an even lower percentage at 48.5%, and he isn't asked to create nearly as many shots for himself. This is a hard league to be a big guy, considering the amount of contact that is allowed under the basket. Both players open up so much for their teammates by the attention that they draw too.

Also, Sanogo is averaging 10 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game in conference play which certainly helps his case.
Watson is bad on defense and is having an off year shooting so I agree, doesn’t deserve a spot. Defense gets no credence in these awards and Sanogo/Cole are both great. I basically didn’t factor that in solely because I figure it won’t be at the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Where’s preseason 1st teamer Nate Watson?… Oh that‘s right, all he’s done is expose his lack of potential by coming back this year and regressed from his (apparent) ceiling he displayed last season… trying to think of anyone else in the BE conference who’s damaged their future earnings potential more than him… probably could have played in a half decent league somewhere after last year when people might have believed he was capable of expanding his game - instead he came back, no expanded skill set and existing skillset appears to have gotten worse (despite getting relatively less defensive attention this year)… would be nice if Coach Cooley cut him a check to make up for the damage done to his future earnings as an apology for not giving the kid the advice he needed last year... Watson will have plenty of time to ponder this when he’s eating meat kebabs in Kazakhstan after his B League games next year… Real shame we never got to see Sanogo dominate him this year
Ewing has done some major damage to his future earnings potential

Reaction Score
You’re right, but people pay attention to raw stats when they vote for these things. He’s gonna have an impressive traditional ppg/reb/blk split.

Plus he is pretty good tbh lol.
He really is better than advanced stats will show. Definitely agree with that. He needs to be consistent though. This is a good league full of productive players. Guys like Bynum might not be better at basketball, but how can you argue with a PG on a leading team shooting 50% from 3? It’s all a matter of opinion.

I still think on Sanogo… 1) he has easy paths to improving his game/efficiency and 2) he has no chance at the NBA if he doesn’t shoot 60% and/or become a capable set shooter from the corner

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Bump. I think Adama and RJ both have a very good shot (Adama should absolutely be on the 1st team as long as he doesn't have a bad week to finish up the regular season).

RJ is 6th in scoring and 6th in assists. Among the top 10 scorers he's tied for 3rd in turnover rate, and among the top 10 assisters (is that a word?) he's got the lowest turnover rate. He also plays great defense and is on a team that's likely going to finish top 25 and top 4 in the conference.

Adama leads the conference in rebounding by a healthy margin (9.7 per game to Yatna's 8.9) and is top 10 in scoring. He's also 4th in blocks per game. I would be really surprised if he didn't make the first team.

EDIT: These are conference-only stats.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
First team should be Gillespie, Cole, Lewis, Champagnie and Sanogo.

Second team should be Bynum, Moore, Rhoden, Ryan Hawkins and Watson.

First team will probably end up being Gillespie, Moore, Lewis, Champagnie and Sanogo.

Reaction Score
First team should be Gillespie, Cole, Lewis, Champagnie and Sanogo.

Second team should be Bynum, Moore, Rhoden, Ryan Hawkins and Watson.

First team will probably end up being Gillespie, Moore, Lewis, Champagnie and Sanogo.
Don't they put 6 on the first team?

Reaction Score
Sanogo is a lock. Remember how Polley surprisingly won 6th man of the year last season? It’s because the coaches take into account how much they have to gameplan for someone. And they have to gameplan for Sanogo more than just about anyone in the conference.

Reaction Score
Advanced stats really like Cole. Aggregate advanced metrics would probably go:
Gillespie
Cole
Lewis
Moore
Nunge
Bynum

2nd team probably Posh Alexander, Sanogo, Jermaine Samuels, Kalkbrenner, and Hawkins in some order.

Advanced stats don't like Scruggs, Champagnie, or Watson at all. Croswell has been sneakily better than Watson this year.

My guess is voters go:
Gillespie
Moore
Cole
Sanogo
Lewis
Bynum

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Advanced stats really like Cole. Aggregate advanced metrics would probably go:
Gillespie
Cole
Lewis
Moore
Nunge
Bynum

2nd team probably Posh Alexander, Sanogo, Jermaine Samuels, Kalkbrenner, and Hawkins in some order.

Advanced stats don't like Scruggs, Champagnie, or Watson at all. Croswell has been sneakily better than Watson this year.

My guess is voters go:
Gillespie
Moore
Cole
Sanogo
Lewis
Bynum
which websites do you look at for advanced stats?

Reaction Score
which websites do you look at for advanced stats?
For individual metrics:
  • KPOY - KenPom Player of the Year. Only lists top 5. Offensive rating modified by possessions used. Defensive value comes from stat called stops. Team strength is factored in. Courtesy of Ken Pomeroy.
  • RAPM - Regularized Adjusted Plus Minus. Courtesy of Alex from Hoop-Explorer. Conference-only.
  • PORPAGATU! - Points Over Replacement Per Adjusted Game At That Usage. Offense only. Courtesy Bart Torvik. Conference-only.
  • BPM - Box plus/minus. Courtesy of Bart Torvik. Conference-only.
  • Win Shares - Courtesy of Sports-Reference. Only top 10 (plus per 40 minute top 10).
  • BPR - Bayesian Performance Rating. Efficiency and Impact rating. Courtesy of Evan Miya.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Julian Champagnie
Collin Gillespie
Adama Sanogo
Justin Lewis
RJ Cole
Ryan Hawkins

Going with the wildcard Hawkins to round it out.

Reaction Score
Somewhat related - how much of a stone cold lock is Bynum for 6MOTY? Incredible production off the bench.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’d be shocked if coaches didn’t vote for Bynum over Cole. PC is gonna be represented on the first team.

Reaction Score
For individual metrics:
  • KPOY - KenPom Player of the Year. Only lists top 5. Offensive rating modified by possessions used. Defensive value comes from stat called stops. Team strength is factored in. Courtesy of Ken Pomeroy.
  • RAPM - Regularized Adjusted Plus Minus. Courtesy of Alex from Hoop-Explorer. Conference-only.
  • PORPAGATU! - Points Over Replacement Per Adjusted Game At That Usage. Offense only. Courtesy Bart Torvik. Conference-only.
  • BPM - Box plus/minus. Courtesy of Bart Torvik. Conference-only.
  • Win Shares - Courtesy of Sports-Reference. Only top 10 (plus per 40 minute top 10).
  • BPR - Bayesian Performance Rating. Efficiency and Impact rating. Courtesy of Evan Miya.
Thanks bud, I appreciate it

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The third place finisher isn't getting the POY or more than 1 guy on the first team.

Cole has showed himself to be indispensable for UConn, Sanogo is the conference's baddest man in the paint. Sanogo might make the first team, but Cole is going to be behind other guards (even if he shouldn't be). Expect a bunch of UConn guys in the 2nd 3rd teams.

Reaction Score
I’d be shocked if coaches didn’t vote for Bynum over Cole. PC is gonna be represented on the first team.
Wouldn’t surprise me either. Bynum has been very clutch and has carried PC in close games at the end along with Durham. Same could be said for Cole, too and he doesn’t have someone like Durham to help him with running the offense. Bynum is 45% from 3

Reaction Score
The third place finisher isn't getting the POY or more than 1 guy on the first team.

Cole has showed himself to be indispensable for UConn, Sanogo is the conference's baddest man in the paint. Sanogo might make the first team, but Cole is going to be behind other guards (even if he shouldn't be). Expect a bunch of UConn guys in the 2nd 3rd teams.
Providence got two (Dunn, Bentil) on the 1st team in 2016 when they finished 4th so there is precedent for Cole and Sanogo both making it. Dunn was POY as well.

Edit: Providence got two the year before as well when they finished 4th.

Reaction Score

I doubt anyone on UConn is making the 3rd team :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom