Sanogo and Clingan | The Boneyard

Sanogo and Clingan

Reaction Score
How are teams going to deal with Sanogo and Clingan this year? You have to try and stop one of the best players in the country (and yes he looks different now) who has a bunch of moves/pump fakes and can now keep u honest with the occasional shot from three and then you bring in the 7'2 guy.

I watched pretty much all of Clingan's games last year and saw all the talent but wasn't expecting him to look like this right away. Again, there will be ups and downs because he's a freshman but I can't get over how he moves now compared to in the past. We have a young monster on our hands.

I never really bought into them playing together because it's so rare to see two centers playing at the same time these days but Clingan is simply too good (and too good a passer) to just spell Sanogo when he needs a rest.

Reaction Score
Our centers combined for 37 points on 20 shots, 22 rebounds, 3 blocks, 3 assists, 1 steal, and only 4 fouls. That’ll do.
And this is in 40 min. There is no overlap. Anyone averaging those stats 'per 40' would be a Hall of Famer.

Oscar Tshiebwe the player of the year last year averaged 22 on 15, 19, 2, 1, 2, 3 in those same categories per 40 last year.

Reaction Score
I think it's hard to get a really good evaluation of a player of Clingans size at the HS level especially vs public schools. He pretty much was quadrupled teamed anytime he touched the ball in the paint. I think it's why he constantly looked slow and unathletic because teams would just cripple him during games. Now that he's got the space of the college game it's insane how athletic and mobile he looks.

For a homegrown CT kid to do what he did in a public HS and then stay home at uconn and to look like this through his first two games... He has a chance to be a special kind of uconn player. The homegrown players are always beloved and we got really good one.

Sanogo vs Clingan in practice must be a war.

Reaction Score
Zach Edey freshman year stats:
36% (minutes %), 112 (ORTG), 60, 63 (eFG/TS%), 14, 21 (oreb, dreb%), 10% (block rate), 6, 7 (fouls committed, fouls drawn per 40), 71% FT, 60% 2PT.

Clingan stats so far:
38% (minutes %), 120 (ORTG), 64, 64 (eFG/TS%), 27, 26 (oreb, dreb%), 22% (block rate), 7, 7 (fouls committed, fouls drawn per 40), 63% FT, 64% 2PT

Trevion Williams the starting center in his junior year finished that year as KenPom's 10th place MVP. Sanogo (starting junior center) 6th so far. A LOT of similarities.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How are teams going to deal with Sanogo and Clingan this year? You have to try and stop one of the best players in the country (and yes he looks different now) who has a bunch of moves/pump fakes and can now keep u honest with the occasional shot from three and then you bring in the 7'2 guy.

I watched pretty much all of Clingan's games last year and saw all the talent but wasn't expecting him to look like this right away. Again, there will be ups and downs because he's a freshman but I can't get over how he moves now compared to in the past. We have a young monster on our hands.

I never really bought into them playing together because it's so rare to see two centers playing at the same time these days but Clingan is simply too good (and too good a passer) to just spell Sanogo when he needs a rest.

Clingan twice almost brought down the roof on lob dunks.

He will do it before season is over and it will be thunderous.

Reaction Score
Haven't had a chance to watch yet since I'm visiting a college buddy for the Ohio State game this weekend. Did they play together at all tonight?

Reaction Score
Haven't had a chance to watch yet since I'm visiting a college buddy for the Ohio State game this weekend. Did they play together at all tonight?
I think for like 30 seconds.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think for like 30 seconds.

One of them tried a bounce pass to the post for the other.

A bounce pass.

TRY A LOB, GUYS

Reaction Score
One of them tried a bounce pass to the post for the other.

A bounce pass.

TRY A LOB, GUYS
Yeah it was 2 possessions. Sanogo post entry to Clingan picked off and then Diarra drove and got fouled.

Reaction Score
Opposing coaches with have a major dilemma with drawing up defensive plans on these two players. This will open up the threes, driving lanes and pull-up jumpers for other players. Our passers have many options and serious targets with great sealing off of defensive players. We are blessed!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It appears Clingan is going to get many more minutes this year than any of us expected (and probably more than he expected too).

I still think he is a 10-15 mpg player this season unless Sanogo gets in foul trouble.

His points and rebounds per minute will be ridiculous especially the rebound numbers. He is really good at tracking the ball in flight and do the prep work before the ball hits the rim to get in good position and grab the rebound.

Reaction Score
Zach Edey freshman year stats:
36% (minutes %), 112 (ORTG), 60, 63 (eFG/TS%), 14, 21 (oreb, dreb%), 10% (block rate), 6, 7 (fouls committed, fouls drawn per 40), 71% FT, 60% 2PT.

Clingan stats so far:
38% (minutes %), 120 (ORTG), 64, 64 (eFG/TS%), 27, 26 (oreb, dreb%), 22% (block rate), 7, 7 (fouls committed, fouls drawn per 40), 63% FT, 64% 2PT

Trevion Williams the starting center in his junior year finished that year as KenPom's 10th place MVP. Sanogo (starting junior center) 6th so far. A LOT of similarities.

Huh?

Reaction Score
Our best passer AJAX didn’t even play. Clingan is getting looks from him for sure. Clingan has shot blocking too. Only played 12 minutes last night.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Clingan this year so far has played better help defense than Sanogo has this will be interesting to watch as the year goes on…

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not that it matters, but how was Clingan only a 4 star recruit? Because he didn’t sell his soul to or go to IMG Academy and commit to Duke?
Like I said it doesn’t matter, but I love his story.

Pretty much. Not a bunch of film against top level bigs, he was a bit heavier in HS and he's not an eye popping athlete.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom