Saniya Spectacular Video CTK at Ossining | The Boneyard

Saniya Spectacular Video CTK at Ossining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
http://www.msgvarsity.com/hudson-valley/chong-leads-ossining-past-christ-the-king-1.1325241

As most of you know I was at the game yesterday. Sell out crowd and turning away fans...all but Geno and CD. A special area as you walk in was gated for Geno and CD. It didnt stop me. LOL I was invited to the game by 2 of my reps and they had a bunch of buddies we sat with.

Vince Cannizzaro the origional archetect of CTK was there. He is a NY legend in girls BB. I was told he is a very good friend of Genos.

First let me say a couple of things before I get into the game. Espinosa Hunter an 8th grader for Ossining is a great player. She is going to be D1 material. A great shooter and everybody there talks about her. Also sitting infront of us was Danielle Patterson another 8th grader who Geno has met. Another player that everybody in NY is talking about. She is 13 yrs old, 6'1 and I was told she will be one of the greatest girls BB players to come out of NY ever. She also works with Jerry Powell the former Olympic coach. Yes her family is a UConn family. LOL one of the quotes I loved from the NY fans was this. UConn is like the NY Yankess and then theres everybody else. I liked that.

Another player Touissant the point guard at CTK. A good floor general. Didnt light it up but conrolled the game, and her teams tempo.

Sierra Calhoun had 30 pts. Great moves, and knows how to play the game. Good rebounder, good fundementals, good outside shot. A very solid player.

So the game starts and Saniya kept passing the ball. She was double teamed, and they used what looked like a box in 1 on her. Her passes are right on and every pass was a bullet pass. She was kinda like a magic, passing. Passes came from everywhere and anywhere. She caught many of her team mates sleeping when the passes came. Alot of the fans were yelling shoot the ball. Her team mates missed alot of bunnies underneath and many of Saniyas passes right through their hands. Saniya had 9 pts in the first half and two highlights were a drive in the lane and a stop and shoot short jumper and a long trey, on a catch and shoot. She has a very quick catch and shoot no brainer.

The second half begins and Ossining is down 5. I look at my buddies and I said what time is it? They look at their watches and I said its Saniya time. They laughed. Then for the next quarter and a half I saw some of the most amazing BB Ive ever seem. Saniya showed why she is great. She completely took over the game on both sides of the ball. Sierra guarded her and she fouled out. Double and triple teams and some how Saniyas will to win allowed her to find ways to score. Spectacular play. Driving the lane and letting go with tear drop and bank shots one handed from 3-6 ft out double teamed and in traffic. Saniya has hops. Big time wow factor. She can get up. Second effort on rebounds and defensively making steals with a will and deterimination to win. How this kid is not ranked in the top 5 players in the country is beyond me. She has two speeds. Very quick and explosive. She has a great left hand whether its a short jumper or a layup or blocked shot. When she is handleing the ball its a hesitation and then she explodes to the basket. Her outside shot is a very quick catch and shoot or a dribble with a drop back step and shoot. In the second half she took the ball to the hoop strong. A terrific left hand and very quick feet. Her will to win and her determination in the game is what made Ossining win. She was unstoppable. When it came down to crunch time it was give Saniya the ball and let her go to work. She did. 46 pts.

IMO I see her getting alot of playtime next season at UConn. Shes a scorer alot like Bria. I cant tell you how impressed I was in the second half. Geno made the comment last season she needs to shoot more and yesterday I understood what he ment. If she played the first half like the second half she couldve scored 70 pts. One other point. She missed some foul shots at the beginning of the game. In the second half she made everything. Am I excited...Im very excited about Saniya. She is the real deal. When the game got tight she took over on both sides of the ball. Saniya is a very special player.

For those of you who missed the game on Cablevision MSGHV channels 14 and 614 usually replay the games. Check your listings and see when and if there is a replay.

Reaction Score
Tony..........and she did that all being "sick as a dog" before the game even started.................imagine if Saniya had felt good before the game started!!
LOL!

I noticed her three point shot didn't have the usual ummmph on it in the first half.........I thought there might be something a little off. Saniya gutted it out in the 2nd half and came on like gangbusters, though! A nice win.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Great post, Tony. Thanks. What is she like on defense? The one question some people seem to have about her is her skill level and intensity on the defensive end of the court.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Am I excited...Im very excited about Saniya. She is the real deal. When the game got tight she took over on both sides of the ball. Saniya is a very special player.
Terrific stuff Tony...thanks for sharing. I was able to catch the 2nd half online and "very special player" is an understatement (and coming from you no less ;)).

She's got that rare WOW factor/quality that only the great ones like Maya and Dee [I'm adding Kaleena to that list] have. You almost feel guilty as a spectator for having your eyes glued to their every move in anticipation of the next special thing they'll do, but you can't take your eyes off her.

I think her teammates weren't ready for a lot of those passes, because just like their CTK counterparts, they're mesmerized by her play and every player on the floor becomes something of a spectator themselves...Saniya is that good!

CTK's coach was pulling his hair out because there was simply no way to defend her. She scored at will, fouled out all their best players and could not be denied the inbound pass while being double and tripled team in a futile attempt to keep the ball out of her hands. They'd foul her and I don't think she missed a single one of her 20 FTA's down the stretch!

All that and apparently she had the flu or some bug!!!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'm super excited to have Saniya coming next year, but after watching much if the 2nd half on replay, I don't know that she will get the benefit of so many calls at the next level. She got to the line a ton and many of the calls were little bumps or plays where she created the contact. Often you will still get the friendly call for the latter, but not all the time, and the little bumps much less so. Also many of her shots (except her 3-ball and layups) are runners -- on one hand these are typically hard to stop at any level (Steve Nash / Stephon Curry etc) but she does this in traffic and I wonder how well it will translate, or how quickly it will translate, at UCONN. Its good that she will have time to adjust, with 3 high quality guards to learn from. IF she can eventually make this style work at D1, look out!! I will be pulling hard for her to make it happen because she takes so much responsibility on her shoulders for her team. So fun to watch!

Side note: Sierra looked college-ready with a D1 game right now. Not at an AA level but just the soundness and balance in her game, and her physical makeup. Very impressive. She will be a keeper. Please follow your brother, Sierra! :-D

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I'm super excited to have Saniya coming next year, but after watching much if the 2nd half on replay, I don't know that she will get the benefit of so many calls at the next level. She got to the line a ton and many of the calls were little bumps or plays where she created the contact. Often you will still get the friendly call for the latter, but not all the time, and the little bumps much less so. Also many of her shots (except her 3-ball and layups) are runners -- on one hand these are typically hard to stop at any level (Steve Nash / Stephon Curry etc) but she does this in traffic and I wonder how well it will translate, or how quickly it will translate, at UCONN. Its good that she will have time to adjust, with 3 high quality guards to learn from. IF she can eventually make this style work at D1, look out!! I will be pulling hard for her to make it happen because she takes so much responsibility on her shoulders for her team. So fun to watch!

Side note: Sierra looked college-ready with a D1 game right now. Not at an AA level but just the soundness and balance in her game, and her physical makeup. Very impressive. She will be a keeper. Please follow your brother, Sierra! :-D
I'm not the least bit concerned about her transition to D-1. The God given talent and winning mentality are all in place...Geno and Shea will sculpt another of their masterpieces with Saniya.

Agree with all your observations and praise of Sierra, looks like another complete and D-1 ready player like Morgan. I was surprised at how good her outside shooting is.

Reaction Score
Great post, Tony. Thanks. What is she like on defense? The one question some people seem to have about her is her skill level and intensity on the defensive end of the court.

Here's what Geno thinks of her skill level: “When I went to watch (Chong) play for the very first time, it struck me at how much she enjoys passing the ball,” Auriemma said. “She can shoot any time she wants and she can get any shot she wants, but I was really impressed with how much she was looking to make a great pass to her teammates. Most people that score that many points aren’t looking to pass the ball.”
Saniya certainly has the ability to play excellent defense; fast/quick hands, fast/quick feet, great anticipation, leaping ability (Saniya jumps center for Ossining) etc., etc.. I think what people see sometimes is more a function of what, I believe coach Ricci wants from Saniya…. Be a disruptive force on the perimeter…take risks…..harass the opposing guards, get in passing lanes, etc..She’s probably been told to keep her fouls to a minimum, and if an offensive player gets a half step on her, then let her go by……thus, the “Matador” defense people sometimes see from Saniya.

I’ve seen Saniya play eight times; she’s made some spectacular defensive plays of all types….blocks, steals,. deflections, etc.. She has the ability…..and when she gets to UConn and learns how to play Geno’s “Team Defense”, UConn fans will see just how good Saniya can be on the defensive side of the ball.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Saniya's defense may well be like EDD's defense. She can play good defense, but plays looser to avoid foul trouble. Her team needs her on the floor for offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom