Saniya had 3 nice steals | The Boneyard

Saniya had 3 nice steals

Reaction Score
Saniya is still looking great. Three nice steals, one after which she went coast to coast, another after which she brought it down court and passed to teammate who was fouled, and a third after which she brought it down court crossing over repeatedly and getting fouled on the shot.

The announcers talked about her a bit at the 38:30 mark in the ESPN3 broadcast. If anyone has the skill and can post that, I think a lot of people would be interested.

Reaction Score
I am enjoying the fact that Saniya is getting playing time. I wish that she would score more. Her excellent defense is nice but scoring is what will keep her in the league and make her a star on a foreign team.

Someone mentioned it in another thread that the quality of the wnba game is less than the high quality that we are used to as UCONN fans. At first I didn't agree but after watching most of the wnba games this season I have to admit that whoever said it was correct. There have been far too many times that Saniya is open for the three and a teammate just drives the lane for a really bad shot. (this is happening on most teams not just Dallas).

I appreciate even more now the extra pass that UCONN routinely makes for the easy uncontested layup versus the one-on-two/three defenders that often happens in the "W".

Keep producing and playing well Ms. Chong you have a fan in me and a few others.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am enjoying the fact that Saniya is getting playing time. I wish that she would score more. Her excellent defense is nice but scoring is what will keep her in the league and make her a star on a foreign team.

Someone mentioned it in another thread that the quality of the wnba game is less than the high quality that we are used to as UConn fans. At first I didn't agree but after watching most of the wnba games this season I have to admit that whoever said it was correct. There have been far too many times that Saniya is open for the three and a teammate just drives the lane for a really bad shot. (this is happening on most teams not just Dallas).

I appreciate even more now the extra pass that UConn routinely makes for the easy uncontested layup versus the one-on-two/three defenders that often happens in the "W".

Keep producing and playing well Ms. Chong you have a fan in me and a few others.
I generally agree, though you also need to give these teams a month or two to gel. While the players all have higher skill levels than in college, the teams have less practice time and less continuity from year to year than most college teams. MN who have had their core together the longest of any team exhibit the kind of cohesion we are used to seeing with Uconn, but they took a few months 3 years ago to figure out how to integrate the final piece of that core when Sylvia arrived.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Saniya is still looking great. Three nice steals, one after which she went coast to coast, another after which she brought it down court and passed to teammate who was fouled, and a third after which she brought it down court crossing over repeatedly and getting fouled on the shot.

The announcers talked about her a bit at the 38:30 mark in the ESPN3 broadcast. If anyone has the skill and can post that, I think a lot of people would be interested.

Reaction Score

Someone mentioned it in another thread that the quality of the wnba game is less than the high quality that we are used to as UConn fans. At first I didn't agree but after watching most of the wnba games this season I have to admit that whoever said it was correct. There have been far too many times that Saniya is open for the three and a teammate just drives the lane for a really bad shot. (this is happening on most teams not just Dallas).

I appreciate even more now the extra pass that UConn routinely makes for the easy uncontested layup versus the one-on-two/three defenders that often happens in the "W".

I agree with UcMiami 110%. In a couple of months some of these teams will be looking outstanding. And realistically, even the best UConn teams wouldn't beat them. But boy it would be great if Geno took the helm of one team for a couple of years. It would be amazing to see what he could do with all the talent that is out there. I think he would be able to get them to play as much more cohesive teams. There just aren't many coaches of his caliber out there. And it probably can't be stressed enough, the kind of kids that Geno recruits are unselfish and team oriented. A lot of these women in the WNBA are talented but don't know how to be good teammates. Anyway, I still love watching the WNBA and if you go to a game and get up close to these women, you realize how impressive they are, how physically strong and athletic they are. Sometimes, you have to see it in person to make the connection.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I am enjoying the fact that Saniya is getting playing time. I wish that she would score more.

Like if her teammate gave it back to her for an easy 2 on that first steal? Right now, especially for a low draft pick, MPG is her most important stat.

Reaction Score
Like if her teammate gave it back to her for an easy 2 on that first steal? Right now, especially for a low draft pick, MPG is her most important stat.
I totally agree. There were quite a few times that Saniya set up her teammate and once they were double and triple teamed, a quick pass back to Saniya would give for an easy open jumper. (The pass back never came) :-(

Someone mentioned seeing a game in person. I've been to a couple of games this year. You are right- seeing the game in person is much better than watching it on the tube.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Saniya nearly had a 4th steal as well. She's always had quick hands. She doesn't play like a 3rd round pick rookie.

The thing that impressed me most this past year was how many passes she tipped. You don't have to gain possession of the ball to mess the other team up.

The other thing last night was, the five rookies spent some time on the floor together and looked pretty good. The four (sans Akhator) have spent quite a bit of time on the floor together and have looked good from the start. There's some chemistry there.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The thing that impressed me most this past year was how many passes she tipped. You don't have to gain possession of the ball to mess the other team up.
Yes! The SNY team noted it, but others nattered through it. She's actually long (wingspan to height ratio) with good anticipation. I'm thrilled to death at what she's doing.

Reaction Score
Saniya doesn't need to try to be a heavy scorer with this team. They need a good point guard to get the ball to the established scorers they already have when Skylar is out of the game or to get the ball to Skylar when she's playing with her.

Dallas needs to use Lewis more effectively. I hope Saniya can work with her to get her the ball down low where Lewis can take the quick hook shots which she can shoot with either hand. I don't think she's ready to take a lot of shots from the high post at this point. Utilize her strengths.

Reaction Score
I'll say that as a UConn fan I'm spoiled with the type of basketball I like to watch so when I watch the WNBA it frustrates me that players do not pass the ball to an open teammate who's get a better shot and instead just try to go hard to the basket one on one time after time.
Saniya is a steal for the Wings as when she is in the game she cares about setting her teammates more than getting her own shot. I find myself screaming at the court "pass the ball" when players just dribble and dribble and dribble into a double team instead of passing the ball to find the open teammate...The Wings look much better than they did last year but they still need some quality bigs (Paris is too short and big while currently injured, Johnson can't shoot from mid/long range, Theresa P. does not have an under the basket game while is a good shooter from mid range, Lewis is missing layups, Akatur looks like a bust especially considering she was the 3rd pick in the draft)!

Reaction Score
I'll say that as a UConn fan I'm spoiled with the type of basketball I like to watch so when I watch the WNBA it frustrates me that players do not pass the ball to an open teammate who's get a better shot and instead just try to go hard to the basket one on one time after time.
Saniya is a steal for the Wings as when she is in the game she cares about setting her teammates more than getting her own shot. I find myself screaming at the court "pass the ball" when players just dribble and dribble and dribble into a double team instead of passing the ball to find the open teammate...The Wings look much better than they did last year but they still need some quality bigs (Paris is too short and big while currently injured, Johnson can't shoot from mid/long range, Theresa P. does not have an under the basket game while is a good shooter from mid range, Lewis is missing layups, Akatur looks like a bust especially considering she was the 3rd pick in the draft)!
I agree with everything you said here, with the possible exception of Akatur being a bust. It was a surprise pick, but she has been injured and there needs to be a lot more time before even the coaches, who are much closer to the situation, can make that determination. They have done a lot right this year, I would urge you to be patient on her. But getting a quality big is definitely a necessity.

Reaction Score
Saniya nearly had a 4th steal as well. She's always had quick hands. She doesn't play like a 3rd round pick rookie.
I'm having trouble getting stream information to show.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you said here, with the possible exception of Akatur being a bust. It was a surprise pick, but she has been injured and there needs to be a lot more time before even the coaches, who are much closer to the situation, can make that determination. They have done a lot right this year, I would urge you to be patient on her. But getting a quality big is definitely a necessity.
I hope Akatur will improve as the season progresses, I just don't see her as the solution to the shortage of quality bigs and while Akatur is listed a 6'3 she seems shorter than that. Maybe Cambage decides she wants to play for the Wings :)

Reaction Score
I hope Akatur will improve as the season progresses, I just don't see her as the solution to the shortage of quality bigs and while Akatur is listed a 6'3 she seems shorter than that. Maybe Cambage decides she wants to play for the Wings :)
Getting Cambage back would be like winning the lottery for them. A player of her size and ability is rare.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Way too early to be calling anyone a bust...... after just 3 or 4 games??? :rolleyes:

How did the #3 pick in the 2015 WNBA draft do after her first 3 or 4 games?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Getting Cambage back would be like winning the lottery for them. A player of her size and ability is rare.

I think I will be playing for Dallas before Cambage will :confused::oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom