Saniya Chong: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly | The Boneyard

Saniya Chong: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After all the hype, seeing video, reading articles I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Because I know the difference in the level of AAU ball and elite club ball I was not impressed by anything I saw or read.
Now watching Ossining High School (which is also her AAU Hudson River Breeze team) here are the details.

Ossining HS: has a very good team and mix of players outside of Chong, several good 3 point shooters and good undersized post players

vs

Bishop McGuiness: has a history of good team, this years team has a team of good shoots and passers very disciplined

Tale of the Tape

CHONG:

1) Jumps (wins) the tap goes to point
2) Steal on ball defense
3) Turnover loss the dribble
4) MISSED 3
5) Steal in trap (should have been jump ball)
6) MISSED 3 (rimmed out)
7) *MADE 3
8) MISSED 3 (off crossover dribble)
9) *MADE 3
10) Steal
11) *Drove full court LAYUP & foul
12) *MADE FT
13) *MADE 3 off the dribble
14) MISSED 3 (airball)
15) MISSED 3
16) Drive and fouled
17) *MADE BOTH FT'S
18) Fouled on layup
19) *MADE BOTH FT'S
20) MISSED 3
21) *MADE 3 (corner)
22) Assist

HALFTIME Up 44-31 CHONG 19 points

23) MISSED 3
24) MISSED 2 (airball)
25) MISSED 3 (airball)
26) MISSED 3
27) MISSED hook in the lane
28) *MADE breakaway layup
29) *MADE layup basket cut
30) Assist
31) Steal
32) MISSED layup (breakaway)
33) MISSED 3
34) *MADE layup (full court drive
35) MISSED 3 (off dribble)
36) Fouled on drive
37) *MADE FT
38) MISSED FT
39) *Steal & LAYUP
40) MISSED 3
41) MISSED 3
42) MISSED 3

Last 2 min of game up 59-56

43) *Steal & LAYUP

Fouled 1 & 1

44) *MADE FT
45) MISSED FT

Fouled 1 & 1

46) MISSED FT

CHONG 1st foul with 4.9 sec up 2 foul to give. McGuinnis missed shot to tie at the buzzer.

Final win 62-60 CHONG finishes with 31

Summary: Ossining has a good team, Chong plays the entire game and although she has the green light she shares the ball. She is fast from baseline to baseline and a good on ball defender. Quick release on an interesting looking shot that's pushed from the chin. In this game she didn't get any rebounds and only 2 assists. She plays point with her team which consists of swinging the ball to the corner for a 3. All but one of her 3 point attempts were from the top side angle of the arc. Overall she is much better than I thought, not a wonder woman as some may portray and not overrated as others may say. Very good to the point I am inspired to make the trip to see her again tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Thanks for such a detailed report! I'm so curious about Saniya because she broke onto the scene fairly recently. Any information about her game is a plus!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Please post your follow-up....with the dearth of news on the recruits lots of us are looking forward to it.
BTW: I did see Ossining get waxed in the state semis last March by national top 10 Cicero with Breanna [a 42/23 performance
in that one]. Given how they went thru their regular season and initial tourney games I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see
Ossining back in Albany next March. If we are lucky enough to nab Saniya I would go again for sure....she had an up/down game in that one...
looked like a high ceiling. It will be interesting to see how they do at the Nike event in Arizona next December....the more tough teams they play the better for the squad and for Saniya.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the detailed eyewitness report...as Blake said, another report on today's game will be appreciated!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
When you wrote Bishop McGuiness... I was thinking... that cant be the same Bishop McGuiness from NC. But it is...... they are a team local to me... and they have won 7 straight NC State Titles at the 1-A classification.

Reaction Score
When you wrote Bishop McGuiness... I was thinking... that cant be the same Bishop McGuiness from NC. But it is...... they are a team local to me... and they have won 7 straight NC State Titles at the 1-A classification.

Same team.

Reaction Score
I see her at OSU or Louisville. My opinion. Those are the two places where her playing style will not bother the coaches because it fits their style of play. Both teams love explosive, scoring guards....especially who can run the point. I know UCONN would be the best place for her if she wants to win a NC in her college career but not sure if it is the best fit for her and her playing style. Not sure how interested she is in Maryland. I know she is visiting UofL, UCONN, OSU, and Maryland.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I see her at OSU or Louisville. My opinion. Those are the two places where her playing style will not bother the coaches because it fits their style of play. Both teams love explosive, scoring guards....especially who can run the point. I know UCONN would be the best place for her if she wants to win a NC in her college career but not sure if it is the best fit for her and her playing style. Not sure how interested she is in Maryland. I know she is visiting UofL, UCONN, OSU, and Maryland.

Even if she ends up elsewhere she will always be a UConn fan. She always has been. Still is. For someone else to land her they will have to overcome her childhood fantasies and earliest thoughts. I heard the first word she said was Gee and the second was No.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Even if she ends up elsewhere she will always be a UConn fan. She always has been. Still is. For someone elese to land her they will have to overcome childhood fantasies. I heard the first word she said was Gee and the second was No.
:p

Reaction Score
They lost the 10am game so no sense in making the 2 hour drive to Maryland if she wasn't playing in the 2:30 game. Think they lost by 2 or 4 like 76-72 would have loved to see that one

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Even if she ends up elsewhere she will always be a UConn fan. She always has been. Still is. For someone else to land her they will have to overcome her childhood fantasies and earliest thoughts. I heard the first word she said was Gee and the second was No.

I heard it was See Dee .. or, CD, both would work..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom