Saniya Chong Has Concussion | The Boneyard

Saniya Chong Has Concussion

Reaction Score
From game summary at WNBA.com:

"Wings reserve guard Saniya Chong left Friday's game to enter concussion protocol and her status for Sunday's game is uncertain."

She didn't play Sunday.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Bummer. Not to be messed with though.

I like the ambiguity -- Neither Saniya NOR a concussion is to be messed with. I still remember the quasi-piledriver from Turner this past season.

I'm someone who, had I been playing football in the last ten years or so, would have been been sat down more than once for getting my bell rung. There's nothing like being dizzy, given a drink of water, put back in, and having double vision for months.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's 2 concussions in less than a year for Saniya. While I'm sure that the team will proceed with the utmost caution, I would be concerned about her long term health.

Reaction Score
That's 2 concussions in less than a year for Saniya. While I'm sure that the team will proceed with the utmost caution, I would be concerned about her long term health.

These injuries are cumulative. Can lead to early-onset Alzheimers. Really disturbing that so many UConn kids in this "non-contact" sport are suffering concussions. Hayes got a bad one in college. Moriah. Saniya.

Wonder if there is a solution....

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
These injuries are cumulative. Can lead to early-onset Alzheimers. Really disturbing that so many UConn kids in this "non-contact" sport are suffering concussions. Hayes got a bad one in college. Moriah. Saniya.

Stop playing?

Reaction Score
Imagine what football players go through

I think that football is on the way out. In this neighborhood, a growing percentage of parents are holding their kids out of youth football. The more it comes to light that playing football, even at lower levels, leads to permanent brain damage, the more its popularity among young people who are needed to play the game will go down.

Just wondering whether basketball can change some of the rules to avoid collisions with the head.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think that football is on the way out. In this neighborhood, a growing percentage of parents are holding their kids out of youth football. The more it comes to light that playing football, even at lower levels, leads to permanent brain damage, the more its popularity among young people who are needed to play the game will go down.

Just wondering whether basketball can change some of the rules to avoid collisions with the head.
I wish that were true but there seems to be a never ending parade of kids wanting a football scholly in college, and then trying to get into the pros. I wonder if there are any stats across the nation as to football participation among younger kids in certain age groups, as compared to other sports. If they aren't playing football, what are they playing?

As a side note - I've never been a huge rugby follower, but isn't that sport just as brutal? Because they don't wear helmets at all. I realize you don't see the crushing hits like you see in football, but what are the injury and brain damage stats for rugby?

Reaction Score
I wish that were true but there seems to be a never ending parade of kids wanting a football scholly in college, and then trying to get into the pros. I wonder if there are any stats across the nation as to football participation among younger kids in certain age groups, as compared to other sports. If they aren't playing football, what are they playing?

As a side note - I've never been a huge rugby follower, but isn't that sport just as brutal? Because they don't wear helmets at all. I realize you don't see the crushing hits like you see in football, but what are the injury and brain damage stats for rugby?

In some towns in Fairfield County, youth football participation is down 15% in just a few years.

Good question. Not totally sure about rugby, but it does not have the same collisions from a distance, i.e., a wide receiver having a defensive back running twenty yards from the other direction and hitting him when he isn't looking, or a defensive player smacking into a kick returner with both heading toward each other at high speed. In rugby, the players generally are running parallel to each other and from close by. But I couldn't quote you differences in concussion rates.

Reaction Score

We should ask LaMelo Ball.

Reaction Score
Stop playing?

Although no player wants to hear those words, one of my daughter's former teammates had to stop playing. Not sure how many concussions she had, but she was at work and started having convulsions. Told her this was because of the concussions.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Yes there is a solution. Wear a mouth guard. A number of bball players have started wearing mouth guards, including Steph Curry. I could be wrong, but I don't believe Saniya wears one.

Reaction Score
Yes there is a solution. Wear a mouth guard. A number of bball players have started wearing mouth guards, including Steph Curry. I could be wrong, but I don't believe Saniya wears one.

That should help your teeth from being broken. But concussions result from a sharp impact that causes the brain to move sharply inside the skull. I'm not a doctor, but I'm having trouble seeing how the mouth guard would help with concussions.

But I'm no doctor. Don't even play one on TV....

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Saniya was injured trying to draw a charge on Jewell Loyd -- Saniya fell backward and hit her head on the floor. I'm at a loss how a mouth guard would mitigate that (or the great majority of concussions).

I also don't know what basketball can do to avoid players hitting their heads on the floor -- I've seen that lead to head injuries several times this year -- short of wearing helmets. I don't think that's a farfetched solution, but it's something that would require a lot of research. The two things that jump out immediately: it couldn't limit peripheral vision at all, and it would need to stay firmly in place through all the gyrations bball players go through. As we say in metrology, it's all about fixturing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That should help your teeth from being broken. But concussions result from a sharp impact that causes the brain to move sharply inside the skull. I'm not a doctor, but I'm having trouble seeing how the mouth guard would help with concussions.

But I'm no doctor. Don't even play one on TV....
Mouth guards absolutely prevent or limit the potential concussive impact from hits. That is why they are mandatory in all levels of football. Back in the dark ages, I received a concussion playing football after being punched in the jaw. Back then, mouth guards were optional. If I had been wearing one, I probably would not have had a concussion.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Saniya was injured trying to draw a charge on Jewell Loyd -- Saniya fell backward and hit her head on the floor. I'm at a loss how a mouth guard would mitigate that (or the great majority of concussions).

I also don't know what basketball can do to avoid players hitting their heads on the floor -- I've seen that lead to head injuries several times this year -- short of wearing helmets. I don't think that's a farfetched solution, but it's something that would require a lot of research. The two things that jump out immediately: it couldn't limit peripheral vision at all, and it would need to stay firmly in place through all the gyrations bball players go through. As we say in metrology, it's all about fixturing.
As I indicated to Fairfield, mouth guards absolutely limit the concussive impact of any hit to the head. That is why they are mandatory at every level of football,

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Mouth guards absolutely prevent or limit the potential concussive impact from hits. That is why they are mandatory in all levels of football. Back in the dark ages, I received a concussion playing football after being punched in the jaw. Back then, mouth guards were optional. If I had been wearing one, I probably would not have had a concussion.

I got several concussions playing football (including two as a result of being hit in the jaw) wearing a mouth guard.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I got several concussions playing football (including two as a result of being hit in the jaw) wearing a mouth guard.
Mouth guards are not an absolute preventative for concussions, but they certainly help. That is why all football players (except the NFLPA) require them. Most hockey players now wear mouth guards and there is an ever increasing trend of both basketball and soccer players who wear mouth guards.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Mouth guards are not an absolute preventative for concussions, but they certainly help. That is why all football players (except the NFLPA) require them. Most hockey players now wear mouth guards and there is an ever increasing trend of both basketball and soccer players who wear mouth guards.

Everyone was required to wear a mouthpiece when I was playing (in the 60's-70's), but it had nothing to do with concussions, it was for the teeth and mouth. As I alluded to above, if they were really concerned about concussions when I was playing, my career would have been three years shorter. I was literally put back into games when I was staggering, and I suffered double vision for most of high school.

There is some limited evidence for mouth guards reducing the risk of concussion, but according to Do mouthguards prevent concussion? | British Journal of Sports Medicine , it's far from conclusive. This is from 2000; if you have something more recent, I'm certainly interested. There are some people where I work who are working on this sort of thing; I'll see if I can find out anything there.

Note that I'm not advocating playing without a mouthpiece -- I think it should be standard equipment in most sports for a number of reasons. And I'm appalled when I see players chewing gum.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom