Saniya Chong gets invite to U18 trials | The Boneyard

Saniya Chong gets invite to U18 trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno was one of those who nominated her.

Good for Saniya. She can measure herself against top competition. Have a great summer!

Reaction Score
its going to hard for a lot of girls in the 2013 class to be on the U18 team if girls from the class of 2012 is invited too

Breanna stewart
morgan tuck
jordan adams
diamond deshields (2013)
alexis jones
Imani Strafford
Moriah Jefferson
Bashaara Graves

especially that most of these girls played with the U18 team 2 years ago
there is a U17 team as well maybe they'll split it ..

Reaction Score
Does that mean Maryland, Ohio State, and Miami are in the hunt for her (since the articles lists those schools along with UConn as nominating her)?

Geno was one of those who nominated her.

Good for Saniya. She can measure herself against top competition. Have a great summer!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Didn't realize college coaches sent in names to USA basketball for a girl to get an invite.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
This is a wonderful opportunity for Saniya to play against elite competition and improve her game.
I remember [at least I think I do] that Ossining has received an invitation to the big Nike event in Arizona
next December. I wonder if Geno might have had something to do with that as well. Ossining was completely
unprepared for its state semifinal against Breanna and Cicero....down 29-6 after one quarter. Next March I bet they are back in
Troy and better able to deal with whoever is up against them.

NYS title? NYS Federation title [when the NYC teams come up]?

Good luck to Saniya....whether she makes the final l8U roster or not, she will benefit just by being there.

At some point USABasketball will list the invitees for both the 18 and 17 team:

usabasketball.com

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
This is a wonderful opportunity for Saniya to play against elite competition and improve her game.
I remember [at least I think I do] that Ossining has received an invitation to the big Nike event in Arizona
next December. I wonder if Geno might have had something to do with that as well. Ossining was completely
unprepared for its state semifinal against Breanna and Cicero....down 29-6 after one quarter. Next March I bet they are back in
Troy and better able to deal with whoever is up against them.

NYS title? NYS Federation title [when the NYC teams come up]?

Good luck to Saniya....whether she makes the final l8U roster or not, she will benefit just by being there.

At some point USABasketball will list the invitees for both the 18 and 17 team

www.usabasketball.com

Reaction Score
Does that mean Maryland, Ohio State, and Miami are in the hunt for her (since the articles lists those schools along with UConn as nominating her)?

For me, you raised a very interesting and important question. Especially when we consider the following:

"In order to be extended an invite for the physically and mentally challenging three-day trials, a player has to be nominated by a college coach. And getting a nomination for Chong proved to be no problem at all.
I had called a couple of colleges and asked what the process was,” Ossining coach Dan Ricci said. “And several schools called her name in ... the University of Connecticut, Maryland, University of Miami and Ohio State all nominated her.." (My emphasis.)

Would it be safe to assume that Saniya asked her coach to call just those schools?

Or did she request that he call all of the schools that have shown an interest in her?

Either way, it seems to me that she just might be down to choosing between those schools that nominated her.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
From what I have heard, coaches just recommend players who they see and its not about who they are recruiting. If anything if you are recruiting a player like Saniya and you wanted her, pushing her to USA basketball would just get her more exposure and make her recruitment tougher. I don't believe Miami and Maryland are recruiting her the ACC schools I heard include Pitt, Virginia Tech, and possible Syracuse but I cannot recall.

The USA basketball staff is small and they don't see everyone, and it looks good when coaches recruit kids that aren't already committed to them so at least they don't look biased.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Based on recent tweets DD and Morgan have been invited. I think it's a given that Breanna will be on the list as well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Based on recent tweets DD and Morgan have been invited. I think it's a given that Breanna will be on the list as well.
Morgan and Breanna need to get a commitment from their good buddy Diamond. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom