Samuelson vs. Ekmark | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Samuelson vs. Ekmark

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nicole Wolfe passed up an extra year of eligibility to graduate with her incoming class.
She did. But Nicole was an unusual case. She was very highly ranked in high school ans started at UConn as a frosh. But after an injury-filled career, she lost her confidence and passion for the game.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Geno is once again, ahead of his peers, recruiting players who can play multiple positions.

Della Dome would have been the first but that was not to be. So we have Stewie who can play the 3, the 4 and the 5 positions. We already know Stewie is a nightmare for the opposition. I believe Katy Lou is going to be the same type of nightmare for the opposition.
I'm not sure you should give Geno too much credit here, as he was not alone in his pursuit of Samuelson and Stewart! If he had unearthed some diamond-in-the-rough who could play multiple positions, then he should be lauded for his ability to identify strengths in players that were yet unrecognized, but everyone and their mother pursued those two #1-ranked recruits! Geno was a skilled enough recruiter to get both players to sign with UConn (and 6 of the last 9 overall #1 picks), but he was not alone in recognizing their extraordinary talents.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not a big deal, but KLS shot 89.4% from the foul line this past season.
Thanks. The UConn news release, which Jim Fuller cites, says 84%. While that is very good, I thought Lou was even better than that, so 89.4% makes sense.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Thanks. The UConn news release, which Jim Fuller cites, says 84%. While that is very good, I thought Lou was even better than that, so 89.4% makes sense.

Well now that I tried to confirm it I'm not sure what the case is. The only place I can find these stats is on USA Basketball's website and that only left me confused. They have her as Mater Dei's career leader at 89.4% but list her at exactly 84% each of her three seasons. I'm no genius but that doesn't seem to work. Their FG% stats make no sense either. So perhaps there are several typos and it really is 84%.

http://archive.usab.com/bios/samuelson_katie_lou.html

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'm of the mirotiy opinion but I think Morgam is going to leave with the palyers she came in with - BS and MoJeff. I happen to think she is going to be super dynamite next year thus will look forward taking the next step of pro ball. OFC my opinion would chnage if she gets hurt or doesn't become as good as I believe she will be.

We know it's your opinion.

Based on what?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Well now that I tried to confirm it I'm not sure what the case is. The only place I can find these stats is on USA Basketball's website and that only left me confused. They have her as Mater Dei's career leader at 89.4% but list her at exactly 84% each of her three seasons. I'm no genius but that doesn't seem to work. Their FG% stats make no sense either. So perhaps there are several typos and it really is 84%.

http://archive.usab.com/bios/samuelson_katie_lou.html
the USA stats have to errors in them. For Lou's freshman year, at Edison HS, it says she started in all 21 games and led her team to a 23-4 record. I believe she played in all 27 games. It also has her at 84%FT% each year in HS, not likely. I would say she is closer to 88-90% FT shooter.

As for the subject of this topic...............No Comment.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Morgan's knees still have to be a concern. IMO she'll take the opportuntity of a liftime - becoming a pro while she can. No need to "double down" that 1 extra year. She could travel all around the world adter the WNBA season and still work on her masters. But imo her masters is hoop. So few players do leave UCONN imo because the ones that could leave were that were redshirted wern't going to be much of a pro if a pro at all.
Sorry, but I think you are completely wrong. A year at UCONN is worth as much as as a rookie contract in the WNBA. A master's degree is better insurance for a lifetime than a pro career on a potentially bad wheel that runs the same risks that ended Shea's career so abruptly. Plus she has lost a full year of seasoning and training in prep for a pro career. There are too many pluses to staying at UCONN rather than jumping unnecessarily to the pros.

Plus there is always that possibility of being the only five time NC player. Now that would be historical.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I believe Sue Bird also had an additional year of eligibility when she left in 2002. Not much left for her to do at UConn at that point.

However, my hunch is that Morgan enjoys the UConn experience too much to leave early. The WNBA is not the NBA; it's not such an easy life, as the NYT article about Bria and Kayla indicated. Unlike Sue who was assured of being an immediate starter in the WNBA, Morgan will probably not be of that stature -- she will probably come off the bench in the WNBA at least in her first season or two, and she might end up in some forsaken place like Tulsa (with winters in Hungary?).

I think she will stay as long as possible, but there is no guarantee.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou won't play the four. Morgan will play the four and Katie Lou will play the three or two. Napheesa and De'Janae will not be playing at the guard position. UConn has more than enough. They will play the three or four.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Katie Lou won't play the four. Morgan will play the four and Katie Lou will play the three or two. Napheesa and De'Janae will not be playing at the guard position. UConn has more than enough. They will play the three or four.

All these damned numbers!

Geno described Katie Lou as a "big guard." Most news accounts call her a "wing," which suggests that she will play a lot like Kaleena, mostly out on the perimeter facing the basket (and knocking down treys), but occasionally slashing to the hoop or posting up a smaller defender. Call that role by whatever number you want.

And when Lou and Courtney are on the court together (it will happen often over three years), their roles will be similar -- thus, two big guards or two wings.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Morgan's knees still have to be a concern. IMO she'll take the opportuntity of a liftime - becoming a pro while she can. No need to "double down" that 1 extra year. She could travel all around the world adter the WNBA season and still work on her masters. But imo her masters is hoop. So few players do leave UCONN imo because the ones that could leave were that were redshirted wern't going to be much of a pro if a pro at all.

Gotta disagree. If another year at UConn would mean no WNBA/China/Slovakia/Greece/Turkey or whatever...so she forgoed (made up, but a great race horse by that name) that UConn year and blew the knee in her first hyperactive year as a Pro - the dough not being in the WNBA but in Europe and endorsement deals - then the " opportunity of a lifetime" would be kaputski anyway. Now, if by staying that last year, she became the first Husky to earn 5 Nat'l Championship rings.... And, by the way: Do you think Kara and Rebecca are on TV now as a result of WNBA careers or being great UC0nn Icons? Morgan has had her career impaired by injury and if she performs at the high level we expect she will, she will want to fulfill the promise of that career at UConn and let the rest take care of itself. So the decision is 2 years away, but I'd say the deck is stacked toward 3 more years for Morgan in the Bleed Blue uniform.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Courtney and KLS are two different types of player and neither is the player she will be by the time she graduates. Lou is more athletic and longer than Courtney. KLS has post skills and doesn't shy away from contact, Courtney is more of a big guard or true wing player. Courtney needs to take the ball to the basket more and work on her ball handling, she will be guarding more athletic players and her lateral quickness isn't what it should be, but a summer with S&C Coach will help with that. When you can shoot the ball like both of them can stroke it, I don't see it as an either or situation, they'll be room on the floor for both at the same time. The Post players will be happy they are both out there.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I hate the title of this thread... They're future teammates.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
J66kickers has it right, though Kara point guard Tenn. (5' 7") is a fantastic BB commentator, Kara considerably bigger girl ( 6' 5" +), was who I was referring to . 'Course the other Kara, once she played for Geno she became a cool-aid drinker like the rest of us. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hard to imagine KLS and Courtney spending much time on the court together next year or even the following year and if they do it is probably garbage time. In 2015-2016 we have Stewie, Butler and Tuck at the 3, 4 and 5 with KLS, Cooper and Boykin competing for sub minutes. With Mo Jet at the 1 we have Chong, Nurse, Edwards, Courtney and Gabby competing for minutes at the 2 position and MoJetts sub minutes. In 2016-17 assuming Tuck stays, IMO KLS gets more min at the 3 spot and we still have 5 guards plus recruits looking for 1 and 2 spot min. So it would seem unlikely that we'll see a lot of KLS and Courtney together for a while.
A more interesting question will be for future discussions and that is when will we see KLS, Cooper and Boykin playing together.

Reaction Score
Hard to imagine KLS and Courtney spending much time on the court together next year or even the following year and if they do it is probably garbage time. In 2015-2016 we have Stewie, Butler and Tuck at the 3, 4 and 5 with KLS, Cooper and Boykin competing for sub minutes. With Mo Jet at the 1 we have Chong, Nurse, Edwards, Courtney and Gabby competing for minutes at the 2 position and MoJetts sub minutes. In 2016-17 assuming Tuck stays, IMO KLS gets more min at the 3 spot and we still have 5 guards plus recruits looking for 1 and 2 spot min. So it would seem unlikely that we'll see a lot of KLS and Courtney together for a while.
A more interesting question will be for future discussions and that is when will we see KLS, Cooper and Boykin playing together.
oops...my bad...referred to Collier as Cooper in previous post....sorry to all offended!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe Sue Bird also had an additional year of eligibility when she left in 2002. Not much left for her to do at UConn at that point.

However, my hunch is that Morgan enjoys the UConn experience too much to leave early. The WNBA is not the NBA; it's not such an easy life, as the NYT article about Bria and Kayla indicated. Unlike Sue who was assured of being an immediate starter in the WNBA, Morgan will probably not be of that stature -- she will probably come off the bench in the WNBA at least in her first season or two, and she might end up in some forsaken place like Tulsa (with winters in Hungary?).

I think she will stay as long as possible, but there is no guarantee.
As Biff and Ice pointed out, Sue did not have remaining eligibility. She played 8 games, which was ABOVE the limit in effect back then. It would be BELOW the current limit. I think Morgan played 8 or 9 games last year and was just under the new limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom