Samuelson & Collier in perspective | The Boneyard

Samuelson & Collier in perspective

Reaction Score
SMH in amazement at this accomplishment [from Fuller in the NH Register 2/24/18]:

Samuelson and Napheesa Collier need to score a combined five points to become the [2nd duo to score] 3,000 points as juniors, joining ... Moriah Jefferson and Breanna Stewart.

Reaction Score
SMH in amazement at this accomplishment [from Fuller in the NH Register 2/24/18]:

Samuelson and Napheesa Collier need to score a combined five points to become the [2nd duo to score] 3,000 points as juniors, joining ... Moriah Jefferson and Breanna Stewart.
I like the idea of having a different perspective as it pertains to this year's (and last year's) team. UConn has 5 scorers on the court at once. Any other examples of that in WCBB? Look at the average shots by these players. Add 10 shots per game to any of our 5, which would be their averages on any other team, and presto you've got gaudy numbers. CD goes from 6 shots a game and a 10 ppg average to 16 a game and she's averaging 20 ppg. She's Phil Ford, Bobby Hurley, Isaiah Thomas not just a piece of UConn's puzzle. Do the math.
I've been saying that it is rare to have this kind of balance on a championship calibre team. I think it's a kind of perfection. Like why the circle is a perfect shape. (all points on the outside are equal distance from the center point) Usually teams "revolve" around a star player. That structure may be easier for a coach to manage. I argue that the unselfishness and togetherness of these players is truly a noteworthy accomplishment. I bet Naismith would be smiling! I say there will be 5 names on the wall from this team. Has that ever happened? Not sure.
Think of your favorite team like this in history. I keep saying the 70 Knicks. How about the 75 Warriors (Rick Barry), 77 Blazers (Bill Walton), 2011 Mavs, the BadBoys, the Spurs. Teams without a superstar that meshed into a perfect unit....

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Lou is our Rick Barry, minus the obnoxious personality of course.

They will be the only UConn teammates with more than 2,000 career points each.

I like the nods to the 77 Blazers and the 75 Warriors. BadBoys, not so much. Laimbeer, ugh.

Reaction Score

I like the nods to the 77 Blazers and the 75 Warriors. BadBoys, not so much. Laimbeer, ugh.
I hear you! I'm a Celtics fan, although Larry's steal from Isaiah and pass to DJ was fun!
Watch the 30 for 30 on the BadBoys and although you probably will still hate them, you'll at least see what a close-knit unit they were. Amazingly so!

Reaction Score
Even more impressive...those five points will give UConn 6000 points on the floor at the same time.

Reaction Score

Interesting that one of the first words that come to mind with Rick Barry is "obnoxious." I knew Rick when he played for Miami, and my dad and I traveled around with the team. Coach Bruce Hale was a family friend (Rick later married Bruce's daughter Pam, as sweet as Rick was sour). Even in those days young Barry was a first-class jerk, so full of himself that it's a miracle he never exploded into star dust. His arrogance was perhaps justified to the extent that he was a great player. Most remember his infallible underhand foul shot. Yet what sticks to this HOF guy is that he was not very nice as a person.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Even more impressive...those five points will give UConn 6000 points on the floor at the same time.
With the CORE four they have a total of 6,089 points with today's game. Kia has 1,584, Lou 1,580, Gabby 1,471, and Pheesa has 1,454. Lou might pass Kia before the end of the season if she continues to put up the numbers that she has over the past 6 games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the CORE four they have a total of 6,103 points with today's game. Kia has 1,598, Lou 1,580, Gabby 1,471, and Pheesa has 1,454. Lou might pass Kia before the end of the season if she continues to put up the numbers that she has over the past 6 games.

As Geno said, that's A LOT of points to try to replace a couple years from now.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
What's more impressive is that they're pretty close in scoring. With Stewie and Moriah, it was more like 2000 and 1000; while Pheesa and Lou will both be above 1500 by season's end.

They'll also have 1000 rebounds, 500 assists, likely 300 steals and 200 blocks between them by the end of the season.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom