Samson Johnson | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson

Reaction Score
Love it. Need a true 1-2 punch at the 5 this year. We won't have the luxury of a freak like DC.

Get his body right for rebpundong and put in the film room work to improve on defense. Gonna be a fun year

Reaction Score
There's our summer 15 lbs of muscle guy!

Now we just need someone who never shot a three to be "45%+ from deep in every scrimmage right now."

Who’s that, Samson? Don’t need him to.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Love it. Need a true 1-2 punch at the 5 this year. We won't have the luxury of a freak like DC.

Get his body right for rebpundong and put in the film room work to improve on defense. Gonna be a fun year
Won't have the luxury of DC ( a 10 in my book), but it sounds like our 2nd center (either an improved Samson or Reed) will be better than this past season of Sampson. So instead of a 10 backed up by a 4-5 we'll have a 7-8 backed up by a 6-7.

Works for me...

Reaction Score
wasn't johnson listed at 225 last year anyway? I mean it was clearly a lie and a half....

Reaction Score
wasn't johnson listed at 225 last year anyway? I mean it was clearly a lie and a half....

He was listed at 225 last season, yes. Entirely possible that was his max weight when he was weighed. All players lose weight in the off-season. He may just not have been able to keep it on like a behemoth such as DC could.

Reaction Score
I don’t think weight alone is going to change his game much. Reality is that he had no offensive game other than rim running dunks. Much of this is about coordination and IQ. Beyond the dunks, not much of a passer, post game, rebounder, defender. He feels like a change of pace 5 or a guy you put in if you want to push ball up the floor. That unless he makes some massive overall strides in off season.

Reaction Score
Won't have the luxury of DC ( a 10 in my book), but it sounds like our 2nd center (either an improved Samson or Reed) will be better than this past season of Sampson. So instead of a 10 backed up by a 4-5 we'll have a 7-8 backed up by a 6-7.

Works for me...

After Hurley's comments yesterday, it seems like Tarris is going to be the starter. The kid is exceptionally talented when he cuts down on the TOs. But overall, it would be nice to have both of these guys available to throw different looks at opponents.

Last year, Samson wasn't really someone you could throw in as a change of pace very often because of the liability he brought on defense in big games. If he can truly be that change of pace center we'll have a solid rotation.

Reaction Score
I don’t think weight alone is going to change his game much. Reality is that he had no offensive game other than rim running dunks. Much of this is about coordination and IQ. Beyond the dunks, not much of a passer, post game, rebounder, defender. He feels like a change of pace 5 or a guy you put in if you want to push ball up the floor. That unless he makes some massive overall strides in off season.

Samson isn't going to ever bring something other than rim running, dunks, putbacks. He's far too behind offensively to make the jump to an Adama-esque post game. We don't NEED anything more than that from him to be effective.

I've said it for the past two years: all you need from a backup big is rebounding and defense. If he defends, doesn't foul, and gets boards, he have 6MOTY potential. This weight gain is going to help make both of those possible.

Reaction Score
Samson isn't going to ever bring something other than rim running, dunks, putbacks. He's far too behind offensively to make the jump to an Adama-esque post game. We don't NEED anything more than that from him to be effective.

I've said it for the past two years: all you need from a backup big is rebounding and defense. If he defends, doesn't foul, and gets boards, he have 6MOTY potential. This weight gain is going to help make both of those possible.
remember the posts from last summer arguing samson could play stretch 4? fun times.

Reaction Score
Can we add threat titles which are just a player’s name to the profanity filter?

Reaction Score
He’ll lose some of the explosiveness and hops if he bulks up, but it’s definitely necessary if we want him to be a 20-25 MPG starting C. Needs to be able to fight in the paint without getting tossed around, needs to be able to secure boards, and needs to be able to use his body to get position

Just hoping that 75% of his freak athleticism is retained, and we’re looking at a real starting player if he can also cut down on the fouls

Reaction Score
Samson's game is verticality and foot speed. He could definitely benefit from some added lower body strength so that he could/can hold his position when in the paint battling for boards. We were so effective last year as a team that rebounded well (esp. our guards) his productivity as a rebounder was not glaring.

I think Dan defers to Samson early in year as a returner from 2 NCs but believe it will be hard to keep Reed out of the rotation for long stretches once we get into BE play. Who knows. Maybe Singare surprises us with some quicker development this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom