Sampson: "Their kids played with a lot of toughness, a lot of moxie." | The Boneyard

Sampson: "Their kids played with a lot of toughness, a lot of moxie."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When both Gibbs and Hamilton are on their games it's going to be pretty hard to beat us...

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
It was clear from the opening tip that they were firrled up. Lots of energy. The Huskies were running. It was great.

C

Chief00

They started well but that zone killed us - that's why our old coach (ha ha) never played zone for more than a nano second - it's not UConn Basketball - when UConn becomes a zone team - I will drop my seasons tickets - it's not nor ever should be our identity. It impacts the intensity we play at. Thankfully KO reversed Glen Miller's advocacy. Coach Miller take that back to CT school for woman - now called Conn College - that and coed first night got to go - they both set the wrong attitude - we are UConn MBB - we we need that junkyard dog edge

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
They started well but that zone killed us - that's why our old coach (ha ha) never played zone for more than a nano second - it's not UConn Basketball - when UConn becomes a zone team - I will drop my seasons tickets - it's not nor ever should be our identity. It impacts the intensity we play at. Thankfully KO reversed Glen Miller's advocacy. Coach Miller take that back to CT school for woman - now called Conn College - that and coed first night got to go - they both set the wrong attitude - we are UConn MBB - we we need that junkyard dog edge

I'm watching the Dream Season while I walk on my treadmill now and the 89-90 team played a lot of zone (and not just a zone press). Another interesting thing is that players played in the first half with two fouls. Maybe that was because that was such a smart team, but I don't think JC had created his hard and fast rule as yet. BTW, the first game against Georgetown was just an epic game. Nadav was incredible in that game. Alonzo and Mutombo go down to defeat!

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
from the same link (http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-uconn-men-houston-0118-20160117-story.html):

"It wasn't even anything that we had to say to each other," Nolan said. "We all just looked at each other, and we knew what we had to do in order to get to where we want to go at the end of the year. I think we're starting to figure it out."​

This may explain the past season and a half. Nolan was on the 2014 championship team where the Huskies were a 7th seed and still won the National Championship. In 2010-11, the Huskies were 9-9 in conference play (9th in the Big East), but still won the National Championship.

Even in the 2012 and 2013 we finished middle of the conference. Finish middle of the conference and win the NC two out of three eligible years. "Where is the urgency to do well during the regular season?", one Husky might think. "We'll just shine when it counts."

Well, you can't count on that. Especially when you don't have a Kemba or a Shabazz. Last year was evident of that. We almost won the AAC tournament because we had a Boatright.

Glad the 2016 team is figuring this out now.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I disagree - JC did dabble with a few zone types - especially in the early years
You can't say no zone at all but until the players understand HOW to play the zone correctly I would be hesitant in using it
Zone defenses come in handy at times

Reaction Score
The 3/4 court zone press can slit an opposing team's throat in a matter of minutes. Its the most demoralizing defense in cbb. Dream Season team ran it so well... I wish it was still our MO.

@Dogbreath - players got 6 fouls each during conference games that year. Hence, 2 fouls did not typically put a player on the pine in the first half.

Reaction Score
The 3/4 court zone press can slit an opposing team's throat in a matter of minutes. Its the most demoralizing defense in cbb. Dream Season team ran it so well... I wish it was still our MO.

@Dogbreath - players got 6 fouls each during conference games that year. Hence, 2 fouls did not typically put a player on the pine in the first half.

Really? 6 fouls, I do not remember that great trivia fact.

The Dream Season had perfect players in all spots for the 3/4 press. Long armed guards who were savvy in their positioning and double teams, great anticipators in Henefeld and Burrell waiting for the dying quail and Rod Sellers who just played the safety waiting for help to arrive. You really need intelligent players to run that all the time and the fact you didn't see it a lot after tells you JC didn't feel he had the right guys in place to make those same plays.

Reaction Score

The Dream Season had perfect players in all spots for the 3/4 press. Long armed guards who were savvy in their positioning and double teams, great anticipators in Henefeld and Burrell waiting for the dying quail and Rod Sellers who just played the safety waiting for help to arrive. You really need intelligent players to run that all the time and the fact you didn't see it a lot after tells you JC didn't feel he had the right guys in place to make those same plays.

@mauconnfan - No doubt you are right about its execution being facilitated by a certain type of athlete. Its a system and just like any system, you must recruit for it. Huggins committed to it at WVU and is terrorizing opponents with it. They are a legit F4 contender without having a single 5-star or top 20 class. If you're not one of the NBDL programs, then have a killer system.

I remember what it felt like to watch our opponents tuck their tails as they retreated to their bench after their coach called a time-out and the fear in their eyes when they "had" to come back on the court. So, as I was saying... I wish it was still our MO (aka system).

As for the 6 fouls... just bc you don't remember something doesn't mean its not true.
http://articles.latimes.com/1989-08-10/sports/sp-312_1_big-east

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
read this again
I am convinced that these players have no idea what moxie is - either the soft drink or the personality characteristic

Reaction Score
@mauconnfan - No doubt you are right about its execution being facilitated by a certain type of athlete. Its a system and just like any system, you must recruit for it. Huggins committed to it at WVU and is terrorizing opponents with it. They are a legit F4 contender without having a single 5-star or top 20 class. If you're not one of the NBDL programs, then have a killer system.

I remember what it felt like to watch our opponents tuck their tails as they retreated to their bench after their coach called a time-out and the fear in their eyes when they "had" to come back on the court. So, as I was saying... I wish it was still our MO (aka system).

As for the 6 fouls... just bc you don't remember something doesn't mean its not true.
http://articles.latimes.com/1989-08-10/sports/sp-312_1_big-east

Oh I believed you but thanks for the heads up. And good call on Huggy Bear they are now terrorizing at times as you said, impressive to get the right kids as well as the buy in.

By the way love that pic, is that you? ;)

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

you're right, thanks!

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score

Time will tell, but the 2016 class may have the type of athletes that could make that press work (along with returning athletes...JA, Larrier)

Reaction Score
Time will tell, but the 2016 class may have the type of athletes that could make that press work (along with returning athletes...JA, Larrier)

Would be nice to get back there, as Gynning said too. So fun to watch and so many points off TO's and transition from rushing the others team offense into fast shots, just love to see some UConn team mirror it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom