Sam Vecenie Athletic Mock Draft | The Boneyard

Sam Vecenie Athletic Mock Draft

Reaction Score
The neweset Sam Vecenie mock draft on the Athletic has Hawkins going 18; he's working his way up towards the end of the lottery at this point. I know Sam watches a lot of UConn games and tends to be very pro-UConn players, but still very encouraging to see a mock draft with Hawk that high.
Aside from Hawk, no mention in the 2 round mock of Sanogo or Jackson, which isn't overly surprising at this point. Still wouldn't be shocked to see Sanogo end of 2nd round though

Reaction Score
The neweset Sam Vecenie mock draft on the Athletic has Hawkins going 18; he's working his way up towards the end of the lottery at this point. I know Sam watches a lot of UConn games and tends to be very pro-UConn players, but still very encouraging to see a mock draft with Hawk that high.
Aside from Hawk, no mention in the 2 round mock of Sanogo or Jackson, which isn't overly surprising at this point. Still wouldn't be shocked to see Sanogo end of 2nd round though

Hawkins is an example of what great coaching and working on an NBA skillset looks like. He's been focused on becoming a 3&D player since he was a sophomore in high school. #18 is well-earned, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him push up to 15 or so if he continues scoring 20ppg on 40%+ shooting.

Sanogo.... Even in the g-league, what is a slower 6'8 center with limited shooting, passing, and dribbling ability going to do? He's an absolute animal at the college level, but in the league, you need a more diverse skillset.

Jackson is just scoring ability. Somewhere in his skill development he and his coaches went really, really wrong. It's a shame because with even moderate scoring ability from 3 and at the rim, he would already be a lottery pick.

Reaction Score
On Hawkins:

It’s hard to overemphasize the heater Hawkins has been on over the last month. He’s averaging 21 points per game while shooting 49 percent from the field, 41 percent from 3 and 92 percent from the line despite every team that plays Connecticut working as hard as possible to stop him from getting any clean looks from 3 off movement. He’s still generating seven of them per game but has also made a few strides attacking closeouts too, and he’s becoming more versatile in how he attacks defenses. Hawkins is also considered a high-level competitor, and he’s defended at a solid level this season on the ball. Hawkins still has a ways to go as a decision-maker and passer when he gets crowded, but his ability to shoot and create 3s off high-difficulty actions will endear him to NBA teams immediately.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hawkins is an example of what great coaching and working on an NBA skillset looks like. He's been focused on becoming a 3&D player since he was a sophomore in high school. #18 is well-earned, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him push up to 15 or so if he continues scoring 20ppg on 40%+ shooting.

Sanogo.... Even in the g-league, what is a slower 6'8 center with limited shooting, passing, and dribbling ability going to do? He's an absolute animal at the college level, but in the league, you need a more diverse skillset.

Jackson is just scoring ability. Somewhere in his skill development he and his coaches went really, really wrong. It's a shame because with even moderate scoring ability from 3 and at the rim, he would already be a lottery pick.
Agree on Hawkins. You can see the work he did with Rip, he comes off screens like a comet and immediately elevates. You can't stop him from getting that off, and if you try (as we've seen) you'll foul him. He still has to get stronger so he can go to the rim with more authority and guard guys like Jaylen Brown, but they can project that.

Disagree on Sanogo. Honestly, he's not slow, and he can dribble much better than he's been allowed to show. His strength will allow him to guard bigger guys, especially in the NBA where it's just different. I think he can become a Grant Williams type, with a bit more size and a better game in the paint, and not as good on the perimeter.

Jackson. I don't know how it happens unless he figures some things out. UConn struggles to work him in due to his offensive deficiencies, that would be magnified in the NBA. I didn't anticipate that anybody who is that athletic would be unable to score the ball.

Reaction Score

The Sanogo thing is interesting. People say the shooting needs to be there if he ever wants a chance in the league. And I agree with that, but what I think will be even more important to him is improving his lateral quickness. In the NBA he will need to be able to move his feet and guard guys on the perimeter.

I was watching a Grizzlies game at some point and when Xavier Tillman gets in the game he does things that I can imagine Sanogo doing in the NBA. I hope to see a development like that where he is getting minutes in the NBA

Reaction Score
Disagree on Sanogo. Honestly, he's not slow, and he can dribble much better than he's been allowed to show.

I don't have any proof, obviously... but yeah, hard disagree with your disagree (lol). I can't imagine any NBA scout actually thinking Sanogo has average quickness by NBA standards. We'll see come draft day or if he goes to the combine. There's not really any way to prove it one way or the other until then.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Sanogo has it in him genetically to be that quick. That being said, he's proven me before learning to shoot the rock from the top of the key... I'd love to be wrong again.

If he could get a spot in the g-league and have a year or two with a full-time S&C staff and sticks to a great diet, it's possible.
I think he can. He's a guy that had no backup and had to play 30+ minutes way too often. He conserves energy. I think it makes him look slower than he is. I think it was Georgetown where we played him with Clingan in a 1-3-1 for 5 minutes or so. Watch those 5 minutes over. He was really active on D, switching on smaller guys and guarding all of them well.

As to the "average quickness", he's much, much, much quicker than Clingan. So how is DC getting NBA attention? I'm not sure he really is, but that was the report.

Reaction Score
I think he can. He's a guy that had no backup and had to play 30+ minutes way too often. He conserves energy. I think it makes him look slower than he is. I think it was Georgetown where we played him with Clingan in a 1-3-1 for 5 minutes or so. Watch those 5 minutes over. He was really active on D, switching on smaller guys and guarding all of them well.

As to the "average quickness", he's much, much, much quicker than Clingan. So how is DC getting NBA attention? I'm not sure he really is, but that was the report.

not sure if this is a troll, but one guy is a 7'2" freshman and the other is a 6'8" junior. it's not that hard to figure out.

and i love sanogo (and his nba prospects) as much as anyone on this board...

Reaction Score

Lolz, what are you talking about?

Sanogo conserves energy to stay on the court because he had no backup? He has the best backup in the entire country this season, if your theory is true and he's conserving energy so he won't be benched that's about the most selfish thing he could possibly do and Hurley is ridiculous for not pulling him.

How is DC getting NBA attention? Because he's a 7'2 behemoth who controls the paint and has great instincts.

Reaction Score
Part of Sanogo's challenge at the next level is his BBIQ.. The nuances of the game ..esp. in defensive rotations/help defense.. are not instinctively quick.. (Does not include the high hedge).. He is not a shot-blocker or an advanced rebounder. His value at the next level will be based on the team's needs that drafts him..

DC has advanced BBIQ for his age.. Instinctive.. With an entirely different skill set.. Another year in Storrs puts him at the top of the list of many teams.

They will both make money at the next level.. I would expect DC's bank account will be larger.

In the meantime.. Lets dominate teams at the 5 spot over the rest of this year.

Reaction Score

Hey man, I'm not going to complain about you have confidence in our players. Let's hype the hell out of Sanogo. IMO he was a bigger piece of our resurgence than even Bouk. Kid deserves a 10 million dollar contract and a Sports Illustrated cover just for that.

6'8 vs 7'2 is the difference though. And Clingan isn't getting serious NBA attention yet in big part because of his quickness, despite being a giant.

Clingan is maybe the best backup center in all of D1 ball though. I don't think you can reasonably say that Sanogo needs to conserve energy because there's no backup.

Reaction Score

Heck of a night for Martin and Whaley has been playing great too. Rese has been on a tear lately!! I guess Hurley isn't bad at developing talent huh?

Martin is going to get a real shot at the league. He's already got 2.7 million in guaranteed money (IIRC). I don't see how someone won't pick him up as a 10th man at some point.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Hey man, I'm not going to complain about you have confidence in our players. Let's hype the hell out of Sanogo. IMO he was a bigger piece of our resurgence than even Bouk. Kid deserves a 10 million dollar contract and a Sports Illustrated cover just for that.

6'8 vs 7'2 is the difference though. And Clingan isn't getting serious NBA attention yet in big part because of his quickness, despite being a giant.

Clingan is maybe the best backup center in all of D1 ball though. I don't think you can reasonably say that Sanogo needs to conserve energy because there's no backup.
Yeah Sanogos biggest nba challenge is prob his inability to provide nba level rim protection. He’s uber talented offensively, so I have no doubt he’ll be able to figure that out—even against giants. Defensively on the other hand he’s got a couple things working against him that may be nonstarters for the league.

…plus the league has so devalued big man offense that he’s not in a great position.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Sanogo should be looking at a guy like Grant Williams. Undersized forward who was mostly a post, power player in college. Shot around 32% from beyond the arc - but made most of his impact at the foul line and in. Think he was back-to-back SEC player of the year … I think if Sanogo stays he can continue to work on his outside shot, passing and decision making to increase his stock.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Sanogo has to move on if Hurley isn't willing to start Clingan and Sanogo together.
It’s tough because Sanogo is a college 5 but an NBA 4. I absolutely believe that if Sanogo stays they should start Clingan and Sanogo together — assuming Sanogo continues to work on the areas of his game he would need to for an NBA career.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I think Hawk in a more wide open form of ball in the NBA can really be something special

100% and I think Hawkins might go higher than mock drafts predict for this reason - the fact that he has also shown the ability to defend at a high level is a bonus. The spacing in the NBA is perfect for his offensive skill set.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Lolz, what are you talking about?

Sanogo conserves energy to stay on the court because he had no backup? He has the best backup in the entire country this season, if your theory is true and he's conserving energy so he won't be benched that's about the most selfish thing he could possibly do and Hurley is ridiculous for not pulling him.

How is DC getting NBA attention? Because he's a 7'2 behemoth who controls the paint and has great instincts.
Last year. Not now.

Reaction Score
The thing nobody mentions is that Adama is still relatively new to the game and how hard he has worked to improve his game. Did anybody think that he would be a 3 point threat coming into this season? Would not be surprised to see him be successful at the next level as he will continue to work hard.

Reaction Score
Last year. Not now.

I'd still disagree with you on that point. Whaley should have been playing the 5, and was another excellent (if undersized) option.

Now Clingan next year is probably someone who won't have a great backup... Singare is very raw.

Reaction Score

Heck of a night for Martin and Whaley has been playing great too. Rese has been on a tear lately!! I guess Hurley isn't bad at developing talent huh?

Has Bouk now fallen out of favor with The Swarm? 11 minutes seems odd

Reaction Score
The thing nobody mentions is that Adama is still relatively new to the game and how hard he has worked to improve his game. Did anybody think that he would be a 3 point threat coming into this season? Would not be surprised to see him be successful at the next level as he will continue to work hard.
Totally agree with this. I think it is easy to get frustrated with things Sanogo does (tendency to be a black hole on offense, poor defensive rotations) but he is, by all accounts, an incredibly hard worked and still relatively naive to the game. He's the type of guy who benefits from getting out of college, where he can then just focus all of his energy on basketball..
It was a different game back then but Jeff Adrien worked his way to 5 partial NBA seasons even being undersized back then and without much of an outside game. I have no doubt that, given his work ethic, Sanogo can play his way into a shot at the NBA

Reaction Score
Last year. Not now.
I feel like adama has still worn down over the course of this season unfortunately. He doesn’t seem to have the spring and explosiveness he was demonstrating earlier this season. He might just be the type of guy that wears down over the course of the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom