Sam Brunelle - Soph year Highlight mix | The Boneyard

Sam Brunelle - Soph year Highlight mix

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
leaders in Industry on boy's side...looking to do more for Girl's side .
we are hoping to do more with Ms. Brunelle this AAU season

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Coach, based on the tape, she doesn't really look like a traditional post player. Would you compare her to Katie Lou?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She's special. And only a sophomore. Hopefully soon we will be able to say "UCONN bound Sam Brunelle"...

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
victor64 - sure do

I know EDD is player Sam has tried to emulate.... but imo, its a lot closer match with KLS

Reaction Score
victor64 - sure do

I know EDD is player Sam has tried to emulate.... but imo, its a lot closer match with KLS
I agree Bill, very similar to KLS especially the range. She's already stronger, especially in the paint and has similar court vision. Like KLS she also needs serious work on her ballhandling and playing lower to the floor in order to play on the perimeter in college, too upright right now but she obviously has time to learn this stuff. Auriemma must be drooling at this piece of clay to work with, lots of potential. IMO, she may wind up a little more of a stretch 4 than a perimeter 3 but who knows. I hope she grabs the UConn opportunity to be developed.

Reaction Score
She has 2 years to go---just perfect timing to spend time with a top level team that will be reloading , and learn.
I agree Bill, very similar to KLS especially the range. She's already stronger, especially in the paint and has similar court vision. Like KLS she also needs serious work on her ballhandling and playing lower to the floor in order to play on the perimeter in college, too upright right now but she obviously has time to learn this stuff. Auriemma must be drooling at this piece of clay to work with, lots of potential. IMO, she may wind up a little more of a stretch 4 than a perimeter 3 but who knows. I hope she grabs the UConn opportunity to be developed.
Good guards learn early to dribble closer to the floor in traffic--while it worked exceptionally well for Moriah--at 5-6 (maybe) unless Sam get on her knees she may not do that effectively. I'm sure if she does not learn to do what she had to do , in HS--she shall with Geno.

Reaction Score
I'm sure I'm going to get hammered for this. Yes, she's got fantastic moves and court presence. But she's 6'2" according to ESPN. Yet, she looks bigger than just about anyone on the court. So, she's playing against not great competition. And (I'm prepared for the blow back to this), despite her obvious super decision-making and overall physical skills for her age, she doesn't jump very high and doesn't run really quickly. Those aren't things that get improved much. If she's going to be a wing in college, she'll face competition with compensatory natural gifts in quickness and jumping. Certainly not an EDD, who was and is freakishly gifted physically. From what I remember of Lou in her high school tapes, she was a bit quicker but more limited in what she wanted to do with the ball. That's not necessarily a bad thing in high school, since she's progressively built and expanded her skills at UConn.

So yes, a terrific player, but whether over the next couple of years she becomes "transcendent" (FWIW I consider Megan Walker as "near or potentially transcendent"), we'll see. And, while from all the above profound insight I know you won't possibly believe this, but I've never been a high school coach or scout and I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hmmmmmm...6'3", great handle, good passer, tremendous shooter and she wears #33. Now who does Brunelle remind me of ? :rolleyes:

It certainly isn't Lou, because Brunelle does pull down a couple offensive rebounds. ;)

She'll look great in a Husky uniform :)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Nothing much to add here. This is a very nice player. Smooth shot, nice court vision, good body control. Nice wrists, she can really snap that pass off. Nice feet, particularly that up and under. Creates good space in close, good handle. Nice length on her arms, good size hands. Very versatile. She would work very well in a switching defense. Looks like she has some hidden or untapped basketball abilities not shown on video's. Not the best speed, but she'll still do extremely well in a motion/read/option offense like UConn's. But as bags said, not an EDD, not that kind of body control, athleticism, or handle, and her talent doesn't yet look transcendent.

But still me likey OH SO VERY MUCH.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I think she would be a perfect Dolson/Williams type high post player. Good passer, obvious mid range game. Plus, if I had my way (as if), I would like to see her develop her low post, back to the basket game in her last two years. Napheesia is demonstrating that there is definitely room for those types of players in college ball. If she goes to UConn, they have proven that they know how to get he ball into the low post.

Reaction Score
Brunelle doesn't look like a guard or wing, she looks like a classic stretch four, to me. It's early but I wouldn't be surprised to see Francesca Belibi end up as the number 1 prospect in the 2019 class.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Having seen Brunelle play a ton in AAU, I think she's more physical and more of a forward than KLS. I actually do liken her game to Della Donne, if not quite as supremely talented. Still, a poor man's (woman's?) Della Donne would be one terrific player.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Keep in mind she is only a sophomore in HS. Over the next 2 yrs Brunelle will get stronger and more athletic, and her basketball skill level will improve significantly.

By the time she shows up on a college campus, Brunelle could be a very special player.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
this just in ... there will NEVER be clones (well..maybe one day...after i'm long gone)
it always comes down to "most similar"

so when start saying one player is more ____ than the other in one area,etc

KLS long projected as a SF in college
see the exact same thing for Sam

KLS was destined to go to a HM program with Forwards that were more suited do more "Forward things" (both ends)
AND to play with Perimeter players that were more suited to be a 2G / Guards,etc (both ends) .
Hence why SF is perfect college position for her..and has been since day 1.
Her extra Size , Mobility at position coupled with the Perim skills make her a TOUGH matchup and lethal overall scorer at SF position.. and won't get exposed vs 2017 Posts OR 2017 Guards (remember...both ends)

Recognition = same deal is projected for Sam Brunelle

Reaction Score
Coach, based on the tape, she doesn't really look like a traditional post player. Would you compare her to Katie Lou?

There's sort of a resemblance to Lou, though KLS is (currently) much smoother. But Sam is even now bulkier than Lou and perhaps more suited to banging in the interior. She'll probably play inside where she can make a difference as a shot blocker and rebounder in college; scoring may be a happy bonus. Somehow, though, as a blonde, wearing green, and the number 33 . . . she does remind me . . .

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
She'll probably play inside where she can make a difference as a shot blocker and rebounder in college; scoring may be a happy bonus.

Nah, she's a scorer. Can pass too but primarily a scorer from all angles.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Having seen Brunelle play a ton in AAU, I think she's more physical and more of a forward than KLS. I actually do liken her game to Della Donne, if not quite as supremely talented. Still, a poor man's (woman's?) Della Donne would be one terrific player.

I certainly will take your word for it. You have seen her perform in person.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom