Sally Jenkins nails Emmert | The Boneyard

Sally Jenkins nails Emmert

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm kind of torn on this. It is tough to say that the NCAA or a school can profit off a kid, but he cannot. And yet, I see a Pandora's box of issues. Are kid's going to be willing to come off the bench when starters make more money? Are they going to be willing to defend and set screens? Who will pay for that? I don't see this going anywhere good.

Reaction Score
I'm kind of torn on this. It is tough to say that the NCAA or a school can profit off a kid, but he cannot. And yet, I see a Pandora's box of issues. Are kid's going to be willing to come off the bench when starters make more money? Are they going to be willing to defend and set screens? Who will pay for that? I don't see this going anywhere good.

I agree with you. It think paying players a salary is the wrong way to go, but they should be able to make money on their likeness.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Take anything Sally Jenkins publishes with a grain of salt.
I found this article pretty much unreadable. "See how many clever phrases I can conjure up?" More words used for the sake of using them than to tell the facts or the story.

Reaction Score
The problem with paying players is that many (most?) players aren't worth the cost of their scholarships. A very few will command good money. Most won't be able to do so. How do you build a team when a small percentage of players get six figures and the rest get essentially nothing? The opposing forces of privilege and resentment will eat it alive.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
yes. If anyone is paying college athletes the top players should go there.

do we really think our fandom is more important than people's livelihood?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Every single player has the option to go pro. Every single one.

If you want to play basketball for a living, go play basketball for a living.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Every single player has the option to go pro. Every single one.

If you want to play basketball for a living, go play basketball for a living.
Okay so let's just keep giving the NBA a free farm league and let everyone profit off of it except the people actually putting butts in seats.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Okay so let's just keep giving the NBA a free farm league and let everyone profit off of it except the people actually putting butts in seats.

If they don't like the deal, go pro.

It is an option for every single player.

Pretending that there is no value in their scholarship and housing is idiotic.

Reaction Score
Can't wait for the social warriors to blurt out, "it's not fair for one kid to get so much. We need to put all the money in a pot and then divide it up among all student athletes based not on their ability to put fannies in the seats/sell t-shirts/win tournament games, but on the fact they are above ground and still able to fog a mirror ."

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score

Yeah and if a state decided to pay them they have the option to go there, too.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Can't wait for the social warriors to blurt out, "it's not fair for one kid to get so much. We need to put all the money in a pot and then divide it up among all student athletes based not on their ability to put fannies in the seats/sell t-shirts/win tournament games, but on the fact they are above ground and still able to fog a mirror ."

That would happen.

99% of even high major players would be underwater if you paid them what they're worth and then sent them a tuition bill.

If you took the school names off the uniform, you could hold the Duke-UNC game in a high school gym and still have to give tickets away to fill it.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I don't think this article was posted yet. Jenkins nails Emmert, "High Guardian of the Pure Bastion".
Sally Jenkins article
"Presumably, Emmert sent such a letter because the NCAA leadership is scared. A law such as this could very well be how it all ends, how the NCAA’s feudal castle is finally dismantled, rotting old beam by beam".

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

I think the NCAA making money off it's member schools is OK but should substantially be funded back in some fashion. What is the NCAA's net worth? How much of that do they really need for the purpose of their tax exemption status (501 (c) (3)? Same thing with the upper echelon universities which have ridiculous endowment money in stock that gives them clout on major corporations boards vs. the purpose of their existence (to provide education). They (NCAA) should never be making any money off an individuals name.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom