Sale to Red Sox | The Boneyard

Sale to Red Sox

Reaction Score
For Moncada and Kopech, plus additional prospects, per Ken Rosenthal.

Reaction Score
Awesome. And keep Bradley etc.

Three Cy Young winners in rotation. Not bad.

Reaction Score
Make that three Cy Young caliber guys.

Sale has not won the Cy yet.

Reaction Score
$15 per beer and $5 to use the head, double that if it's a sit down, has got to be right around the corner at Fenway

Reaction Score
$15 per beer and $5 to use the head, double that if it's a sit down, has got to be right around the corner at Fenway

Sale is dirt cheap for the next 3 years.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sale is awesome, and affordable. Moncada is going to be a star though, and Kopech looks very good. They clearly wanted to win now, and bolstered the bullpen with a big move too. Looks like we have only Panda at 3B though, which scares me. Moncada, as a Cuban, actually is a relatively expensive young player. Need to unload Bucholtz.

Reaction Score
As long as the Red Sox aren't planning on using any throwback jerseys when Sale starts, I think things will work out okay.

Reaction Score
Red Sox are paying all of Moncada's contract, that starts to add up.
They can't be paying his entire contract. That doesn't seem right.

Reaction Score
They can't be paying his entire contract. That doesn't seem right.

They are actually making the remaining deferred payments on his $31.5M signing bonus. That's where the real money is because, if he makes it to Chicago, he'll be making major league minimum paid by Chicago.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Great trade.

It would be one thing if the Sox lineup was aging out, but it's chock full of young talent. And while they gave up a number of their best talent (in the two trades), they kept some of their top guys too, like Devers.

The bottom line is that while Moncada and Kopech look like they'll be great players, Sale is already a phenomenal one, with an incredible track record and a team-friendly contract.

It's a no-brainer.

Sale
Price
Porcello
Rodriguez
Pomeranz
Wright
Buchholz

That is straight up nasty.

Reaction Score
I think this will turn out to be a good deal for the Red Sox and maybe both Sox. I was never really impressed with Moncada. He struck out too much, could not hit the curve and was a below average fielder. I will admit that all of those short comings are things that he could work on, but he is not major league ready and there was no obvious place for him down the road. Kopech has a serious fastball but he has been a head case and was suspended once. Basabe and Diaz are just prospects.

The other trade - Tyler Thornburg had a great year in 2016 and could challenge Kimbrel for the closer role. A nice problem for the Sox. Pennington is a prospect with perhaps some control issues. Travis Shaw could develop into a solid major leaguer and has good flexibility. I hated to see them depart with Mauricio Dubon more than anyone. I think he will be a star but the reality is that he was a shortstop on a team with no shortstop needs.

Mitch Moreland gives the Sox some depth but will not replace David Ortiz's production.

Overall, I like the moves. We gave up some prospects but we don't have a lot of need for them. Our pitching looks much better. I don't like Sandoval and Devers is too far away so we have a hole to fill at third. I hope Dombrowski is not done. He is off to a great start.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Make that three Cy Young caliber guys.

Sale has not won the Cy yet.

Sale is entering his prime and the fact that he has not yet won a Cy Young Award is more of a function of how awful the White Sox have been and voter bias rather than his individual performance.

Cy Young's Wins record (511) will never be touched, but with the increase of reliever recognition in the voting, the award has morphed into a MVP(itcher) or MOP(itcher) award. Many of the BBBWAA voters still cast their ballot based primarily on wins, which is an antiquated metric, at best, when measuring individual pitcher performance.

Disregarding Verlander's renaissance (probably should have won the award), Sales was arguably a better pitcher than Porcello in 2016.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't drink and hold it. Free.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There is no downside in my mind. A solid core for three years is a lifetime. You build a farm system so you can make a move like this.

Reaction Score
Don't know anything about Kopech except he was recently clocked at 110 MPH by Chicago.

Reaction Score
Don't know anything about Kopech except he was recently clocked at 110 MPH by Chicago.

I wouldn't put much stock into 110 MPH. I saw a video where the pitchers were allowed to get a running start before they threw. I think that is where the 110 came from. He has been clocked at 100 + however he does have some shortcomings as I mentioned in an earlier post.

Reaction Score
Spotlight on this deal just got brighter with Price in the office of the dreaded Dr James Andrews. Saw a list recently where Sale was the #2 most likely pitcher to get Tommy John surgery this season, because of his delivery and # of IP. I saw it only because Syndergaard was #1.

Reaction Score
Spotlight on this deal just got brighter with Price in the office of the dreaded Dr James Andrews. Saw a list recently where Sale was the #2 most likely pitcher to get Tommy John surgery this season, because of his delivery and # of IP. I saw it only because Syndergaard was #1.
No surgery, a sprain. He'll be fine.

Reaction Score
I'll bet you a frosty beverage he has less than 10 starts this year.
You are on, I know a nice place on Albany Ave. Price has thrown a lot of pitches in his career so you never know.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'll bet you a frosty beverage he has less than 10 starts this year.

Coming from the guy who prognosticated last year that "every team in baseball has a Mookie Betts," I'm very tempted to get in on this.

Reaction Score
Coming from the guy who prognosticated last year that "every team in baseball has a Mookie Betts," I'm very tempted to get in on this.

If I bought a beer for every time I've been wrong on this board, I'd own a brewery by now.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If I bought a beer for every time I've been wrong on this board, I'd own a brewery by now.

You're not supposed to admit it Deep. Bad for you rep.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom