Saint John's Post Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Saint John's Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
it's even easier if one of their players pushes our player undr the rim while the shot is in the air. They did that about eight times that I saw yesterday with no calls.
I hate hate hate complaining about the refs. It's loser talk.

But we won. St. John's got a real nice whistle yesterday. Everything from refs swallowing it from physical guards to letting one of their dudes kick the ball out of bounds while calling it out on Cam, or their guy jumping into Karaban but getting the foul. The Castle, Clingan, and Soriano fouls were fouls. But there were a ton of uncalled fouls and that benefited St. John's.

Reaction Score
it's even easier if one of their players pushes our player undr the rim while the shot is in the air. They did that about eight times that I saw yesterday with no calls.

That's true, but SJU started the game all over the offensive boards. That was clearly one of their main focuses. It also why we scored so much in transition. When they sent four guys to the O-glass, they were out manned by the break.

Reaction Score
I know it's the Boneyard, but there are some stone cold moronic takes in this thread. Some of you could win $1 trillion in Powerball and complain about the font on the ticket.
Because there are shades of gray my friend. I don’t compare us to any other team. I think this team can be an all time great team. The deficiencies, if any, are all self-made, to wit: stupid fouls, missed layups, blowing up double digit leads in the last 3 minutes, etc. That doesn’t make me a lesser fan. I am enjoying this run. But I can be objective with what I am watching.

Reaction Score
You suck. Ignore.
Do you watch games? I know you do. SJ is good for at least one foul against the opposing center 25 feet from the rim a game. If that doesn’t happen, look for the foul setting a pick, which he would have learned to do in high middle school. I may suck, but I am not wrong.

Reaction Score
1. DC had 2 DUMB fouls. And we still dominated.
2. AK’s foul at the end confounded me. Just dumbfounded.
3. Still cannot close out a game without taking years from my life.
4. And still, complaining about a win. Typical refrain this year.
Can't close out a game? What are you talking about? The last time St John's had the ball with a chance to tie the game was with 10 minutes to go in the 1st half

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Karaban just is so methodical and understated in his contributions. He got his points, who knew, until you looked at box score. His defense has become a real plus. He blocks some shots and never seems to get beat off the dribble. Quiet killer
Karaban scoring is like "break glass in case if emergency". We can always go there when we need to.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I forgot this is your thing, I'm done here
Ace, don't leave. None of our opinions are that important. Just some posters think that theirs are.

Reaction Score
Team had much more intensity when Johnson was in. Clingan has a way of flattening the energy ... he just doesn't have an extra drive...
I think clingan does have the extra drive—-he just needs to play like he’s a boss

Reaction Score
I agree. But not many teams will score 90 on us. They were red hot too.
Well, with Donavon only playing 19 minutes and the other time in foul trouble the two point game of St. John's was in play.

Reaction Score
This quote imagining Tristen, cam and AK as dogs in a cage who haven’t eaten in days about to be let out has me equal parts giddy and scared for other teams.

Additionally SJU all year has been the one of two teams all year who I have always dreaded playing just bc it feels like with their coaching (as much as it makes me ill to say it) plus them just being able to match our depth in just numbers alone always felt like they could give us a ride.

Plus Jenkins is truly one of the players I feared playing the most all season. he is sneakily one of the best guards in the conference and always seems like he gets up for our games. Hats off to him. SJU is gonna make some noise in the tourney if they keep their discipline.

Attachments

• IMG_1271.jpeg
    IMG_1271.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 51
Reaction Score
Karaban just is so methodical and understated in his contributions. He got his points, who knew, until you looked at box score. His defense has become a real plus. He blocks some shots and never seems to get beat off the dribble. Quiet killer
Assassin. I said it weeks ago and will say it again. We win it all if Alex is on. Teams do not have enough defense to stop us when Alex is on. Because either Tristan or Cam or Steph will also be on, if not more than 1.

3 killers on the outside and a monster in the middle. We will only lose IF WE BEAT OURSELVES

Reaction Score
And Steph.
The tournament is always about guards. We have 4 impact guards plus Alex.

Every championship UCONN team had essentially premier 2 PG and 1 Shooting/Swing
Khalid+Ripper+Ricky
Taliek+BG+Rashad
Kemba+Shabazz+Jeremy
Shabazz+Boat+Daniels/Giffey
Tristan+Hawkins+Joey/Diarra

The years where we didn't
05, AJ Price was the missing piece (Marcus + Rashad)
09, Jerome Dyson was the missing piece (AJ + Kemba)

Reaction Score
Great to win a game where our defense wasn't good. Giving up 90 points to St. John's is not a good look. Our big men still foul too much for my tastes and allow St. John's to get back in the game in the first half with Karaban playing the center. Glad to see Stewart step up and play well. Very efficient on offense and what a backcourt we have in Newton and Stewart.
I know it's easy to look at the score and see that we gave up 90 points and say our defense wasn't good - but I'd like to point out a couple of things:

1 - SJU had scored 90, 80, 82, 104, 86, and 91 in their last 6 games - their offense has become really good.

2 - their players hit some really tough shots, that happens sometimes

3 - Pitino said in the post game press conference that their focus recently has been on offensive execution - you take a coach like Pitino, singularly focused on working towards one strength - they will see success in that area.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
St John’s played one of their best games this year and we were comfortably ahead most of the game while in foul trouble, still.

Give credit to Patino. He felt his best chance was to try to force an up and down game instead of letting UConn pick apart his team in the half court even if that meant some easy UConn baskets and hope for some UConn foul trouble and a few lucky bounces. He got both and we still won comfortably despite the backdoor cover. Testament to how good and well balanced this squad is.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Give credit to Patino. He felt his best chance was to try to force an up and down game instead of letting UConn pick apart his team in the half court even if that meant some easy UConn baskets and hope for some UConn foul trouble and a few lucky bounces. He got both and we still won comfortably despite the backdoor cover. Testament to how good and well balanced this squad is.
He’s a HOF for a reason. They won 8 straight since his press conference call out. Guy knows what he’s doing and St John’s is going to be a fun foe in the future as he continues to get more talent in there.

Reaction Score
I believe it was during the "In the Huddle with Dan Hurley" segment. First TV timeout. That Dan was imploring the guys to get the ball up court vs SJ's transition defense because the combination of them sending everyone to the boards and not getting back-It presented us with opportunities. Esp. with Castle on the bench with fouls and Hass playing a great floor game.

They never did stop our "transition" offense. As Dan said in post-game-We can win games in a variety of different ways.

Reaction Score
TN was playing at a faster level last night. He’s in big game mode and it’s scary. It was cool be able to hear Danny direct the offense to start and move quicker last night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom