OT: - Sad News for Many In WNBA | The Boneyard

OT: Sad News for Many In WNBA

Reaction Score
This article came from the Rep-Am newspaper today. I'm sure many have heard of this already, but I'm afraid it will take its toll on many that won't even get a chance to tryout for a position in the WNBA. Many that wight have been traded or moved around might not have a job this year - At least in this country. I would have thought they would have had a better solution other than just outright cuts without proving themselves.

WNBA

Tough roster cuts are coming

New York Liberty general manager Jonathan Kolb knew that he and first-year coach Walt Hopkins would have to make some tough decisions on the team’s roster this year.

He just didn’t think they’d have to do it so quickly and without seeing players compete in training camp. The WNBA and the players’ union decided that teams would have to get their rosters under the salary cap by Tuesday so that players could start getting paid on June 1.

It’s left many teams with tough decisions on who they will cut and little time to figure it out.

Connecticut Sun coach and general manager Curt Miller had set up his training camp roster so a few position battles would determine the final spots on the team. Now he’ll have to make choices a different way.

“Ultimately we have to decide, because we can’t do it all together, what skill set strength of theirs makes most sense to round out our roster,” Miller said

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Might have tried some HORSE competitions. :oops:

Guessing Crystal will survive the cuts

Reaction Score
Dallas Wings have similiar issues like NY Liberty. (Going to miss Tina)

Reaction Score
Even rookies who get cut often benefit from going through training camp and sometimes part of the pre-season. I also expect it to be harder for these players to get jobs overseas. The events this year may set some players back for years.

Reaction Score
This could especially have an affect on those with past injuries, where teams may not want to risk having to keep them on a roster. Ones like Morgan Tuck, KLS etc... :oops:

Reaction Score
Here's the latest news........ Teams and who they cut :oops: :

Atlanta Dream

Monique Billings
Brittany Brewer
Kalani Brown
Chennedy Carter
Blake Dietrick
Tiffany Hayes
Glory Johnson
Alexis Jones
Renee Montgomery
Shekinna Stricklen
Courtney Williams
Elizabeth Williams
Cuts: Elina Babkina, Alaina Coates.

Out for season: Maite Cazorla (elected to sit the 2020 season), Mikayla Pivec (elected to sit the 2020 season), Kobi Thornton (elected to sit the 2020 season).

Chicago Sky

Sydney Colson
Kahleah Copper
Diamond DeShields
Stefanie Dolson
Ruthy Hebard
Jantel Lavender
Cheyenne Parker
Allie Quigley
Azurá Stevens
Courtney Vandersloot
Gabby Williams
Cuts: Japreece Dean, Alexis Prince.

Out for season: Kiah Gillespie (personal reasons).

Connecticut Sun

DeWanna Bonner
Kaila Charles
Natisha Hiedeman
Bria Holmes
Briann January
Jonquel Jones
Brionna Jones
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis
Theresa Plaisance
Alyssa Thomas
Jasmine Thomas
Cuts: Valeriane Ayayi, Jacki Gemelos, Jazmon Gwathmey, Megan Huff, Juicy Landrum.

Dallas Wings

Bella Alarie
Allisha Gray
Megan Gustafson
Tyasha Harris
Isabella Harrison
Moriah Jefferson
Marina Mabrey
Astou Ndour
Arike Ogunbowale
Satou Sabally
Katie Lou Samuelson
Kayla Thornton
Cuts: Morgan Bertsch, Kaela Davis, Luisa Geiselsöder, Karlie Samuelson.

Trades: Kristine Anigwe (to Los Angeles Sparks).

Out for season: Imani McGee-Stafford (law school).

Indiana Fever

Natalie Achonwa
Julie Allemand
Kennedy Burke
Lauren Cox
Kathleen Doyle
Candice Dupree
Betnijah Laney
Stephanie Mavunga
Teaira McCowan
Kelsey Mitchell
Tiffany Mitchell
Victoria Vivians
Erica Wheeler
Cuts: Jessica January, Paris Kea, Erica McCall, Kamiah Smalls.

Las Vegas Aces

Lindsay Allen
Liz Cambage
Dearica Hamby
Kayla McBride
Angel McCoughtry
Kelsey Plum
Danielle Robinson
Sugar Rodgers
Carolyn Swords
A’ja Wilson
Jackie Young
Cuts: Lauren Manis, Raisa Musina, Avery Warley-Talbert.

Out for season: JiSu Park (personal decision).

Los Angeles Sparks

Kristine Anigwe (via trade from Dallas Wings)
Seimone Augustus
Chelsea Gray
Marie Gülich
Chiney Ogwumike
Nneka Ogwumike
Candace Parker
Tierra Ruffin-Pratt
Brittney Sykes
Kristi Toliver
Sydney Wiese
Riquna Williams
Cuts: Tynice Martin, Dominique McBryde, Beatrice Mompremier.

Out for season: Maria Vadeeva (overseas, with plans to rejoin team in 2021), Leonie Fiebich (overseas).

Minnesota Lynx

Kayla Alexander
Rachel Banham
Lexie Brown
Bridget Carlton
Karima Christmas-Kelly
Napheesa Collier
Crystal Dangerfield
Damiris Dantas
Sylvia Fowles
Mikiah Herbert Harrigan
Shenise Johnson
Cecilia Zandalasini
Cuts: Linnae Harper, Erica Ogwumike.

Out for season: Maya Moore (personal), Jessica Shepard (ACL recovery), Odyssey Sims (personal).

New York Liberty

Rebecca Allen
Layshia Clarendon
Asia Durr
Sabrina Ionescu
Jazmine Jones
Kia Nurse
Leaonna Odom
Kylee Shook
Kiah Stokes
Megan Walker
Jocelyn Willoughby
Amanda Zahui B
Cuts: Brittany Boyd, Reshanda Gray, Tayler Hill.

Out for season: Han Xu (overseas), Marine Johannés (overseas), Stephanie Talbot (personal decision).

Phoenix Mercury

Jessica Breland
Nia Coffey
Sophie Cunningham
Skylar Diggins-Smith
Brittney Griner
Bria Hartley
Alanna Smith
Diana Taurasi
Brianna Turner
Kia Vaughn
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough
Cuts: Sara Blicavs, Te’a Cooper, Olivia Epoupa, Stella Johnson.

Out for season: Yvonne Turner (knee injury).

Seattle Storm

Sue Bird
Jordin Canada
Alysha Clark
Natasha Howard
Crystal Langhorne
Jewell Loyd
Ezi Magbegor
Epiphanny Prince
Mercedes Russell
Breanna Stewart
Morgan Tuck
Sami Whitcomb
Cuts: Haley Gorecki, Joyner Holmes.

Washington Mystics

Ariel Atkins
Tina Charles
Natasha Cloud
Elena Delle Donne
Tianna Hawkins
Myisha Hines-Allen
Kiara Leslie
Leilani Mitchell
Emma Meesseman
Aerial Powers
LaToya Sanders
Cuts: Jaylen Agnew, Rebecca Greenwell, Alecia “Sug” Sutton.

Reaction Score
No UCONN Cuts... that is a good thing to see... There was a name I saw.... Jackie Gemelos.... I swear I saw that name somewhere before... but where? :cool::p:D:eek:
Will always wonder what could have been if she had honored her commitment to Geno and played in Storrs...such a talent and what a competitive heart...if healthy i believe she would have been a superstar...just my opinion

Reaction Score
Indiana Fever

Natalie Achonwa
Julie Allemand
Kennedy Burke
Lauren Cox
Kathleen Doyle
Candice Dupree
Betnijah Laney
Stephanie Mavunga
Teaira McCowan
Kelsey Mitchell
Tiffany Mitchell
Victoria Vivians
Erica Wheeler
Cuts: Jessica January, Paris Kea, Erica McCall, Kamiah Smalls.
Did anyone else notice that Indiana is the only roster with 13 players? Are one of the players suspended or something?

Reaction Score
UCONN - 19
Notre Dame - 9
Maryland - 7
Duke/TN - 6
S. Carolina/Baylor/Louisville/Rutgers - 5

I continue to be amazed at the level of pro talent that comes out of Maryland. They keep losing kids, don't make it to the FF, but still produce some tremendous pros.

Not sure how they do it....

I mean, how in the world does Maryland have more kids on the WNBA than South Carolina, Baylor, and Louisville?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I continue to be amazed at the level of pro talent that comes out of Maryland. They keep losing kids, don't make it to the FF, but still produce some tremendous pros.

I mean, how in the world does Maryland have more kids on the WNBA than South Carolina, Baylor, and Louisville?
Well you're going back a ways with the Maryland kids. Some of them have been in the league 6-12 years.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Was very surprised to see that Jessica Shepard is (even after a year) still recovering from her ACL and is therefore out for this season (if it takes place). I don't recall any forecasts that her recovery time would exceed a year. She got the injury very early in last year's season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think there is lots of parity on paper. But it does look like Atlanta and NY may have 2 of the weakest teams. I hope the season happens - lots of great story lines, and lots of great basketball to be played.

With 19 UCONN players in the league, it's surprising that there are 3 teams with no UCONN players on them. Easy for me to pick who to root against! LOL

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Was very surprised to see that Jessica Shepard is (even after a year) still recovering from her ACL and is therefore out for this season (if it takes place). I don't recall any forecasts that her recovery time would exceed a year. She got the injury very early in last year's season.

Part of the answer that Jessica herself mentioned is that the quarantine conditions has slowed her rehab. Also you may be able to come back in under a year but most ACL's can require 18+ months to get back to 100%

Reaction Score
No UCONN Cuts... that is a good thing to see... There was a name I saw.... Jackie Gemelos.... I swear I saw that name somewhere before... but where? :cool::p:D:eek:
Geno was trying to recruit her several years ago while she was in high school.

Reaction Score

It’s not that surprising. MD always seems to have pro-ready elite players whose games translates smoothly to WNBA.

SC is still fairly recent since they’ve been elite for only about the last 7-8 seasons so I expect that number to go up in the next few seasons. Baylor has some players like Sophia Young who’s WNBA careers didn’t have any longevity or they were busts- like Nina Davis or Alexis Prince.

I expect Miss St. & Oregon’s WNBA prospects to rise as well in the coming years.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Amazing that there are still 5 from Rutgers. College careers for Laney and Wheeler might not have predicted the WNBA. Vaughn, Prince and Copper was likely. It is interesting - and well known - that college career and pro career are not a perfect match. If they were, Scaife among others would have had a WNBA career.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom