Sad News Carl Reiner passed away | The Boneyard

Sad News Carl Reiner passed away

Reaction Score
Gotta love how he kept doing what he loved even in small doses. His role as Evelyn's boyfriend Marty Pepper in 4 episodes over 3 seasons on "Two and a Half Men' was hilarious.

And the 1950's "Show of Shows" was something my dad always talked about with great enthusiasm.

Reaction Score
Watched the Dick van Dyke show growing up on TVLand (90s baby).
But Carl Reiner brought the Ocean's movies and a Comedy Central Roast appearance to my generation.

A true icon. RIP

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He and Mel Brooks were great friends. I heard him tell a story that when they were a young pair of unknowns, they would dress appropriately and go to a truck stop in Jersey late at night , instigate an argument, get the place into a shouting match and duck out.

His line from a few years ago is that when he got up in the morning, he’d get the paper and look at the obits. If he wasn’t in it he’d have a cup of coffee Sadly today the coffee is sitting on the table getting cold. RIP.

Reaction Score
Carl and his son Rob might be the greatest / most successful Father and Son combo in Hollywood history. Both make the TV / Film "Hall of Fame" on first ballot.

I guess the Kirk & Michael Douglass or Henry & Jane (Peter) Fonda combos are maybe better but I'm partial to comedy.

Who am I forgetting Parent / Child combo wise?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carl and his son Rob might be the greatest / most successful Father and Son combo in Hollywood history. Both make the TV / Film "Hall of Fame" on first ballot.

I guess the Kirk & Michael Douglass or Henry & Jane Fonda combos are maybe better but I'm partial to comedy.

Edgar Bergen and his kids Candace and Charlie.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I guess the Kirk & Michael Douglass or Henry & Jane Fonda combos are maybe better but I'm partial to comedy.

The Caradine’s and the Barrymore’s come to mind as do the Stiller’s.

Reaction Score

The Tom / Colin Hanks combo gets a mention with Colin's nice work on "Fargo"

Reaction Score

I guess the Kirk & Michael Douglass or Henry & Jane (Peter) Fonda combos are maybe better but I'm partial to comedy.

Not parent / child but Albert Brooks and Super Dave Osbourne brother combo is stellar.

Julia & Eric Roberts as siblings with the kicker of Emma as Niece / Daughter is a great trifecta.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Stiller, Sheens, then you can add Goldie Hawn and Kate Hudson, there's some good'uns!

But I think I agree, not many can match the Reiners in terms of accomplishments and success.

Edit: HOW COULD I FORGET THE BRIDGES - Lloyd and Jeff!

Reaction Score
Carl Reiner is pretty much the last to go of the TV sketch comedians of my youth. Mel Brooks and the young Woody Allen were also writing comedy then but were not yet performers. On "Shows of Shows," Carl was the prototype of the persona Harvey Korman later did so well on "Carol Burnett" (the oily villain). He was a master of facial subtlety, always a latent guffaw lurking behind the bland facade. At his comic best, his mere appearance in the scene would start you chuckling in anticipation, in the manner of Peter Sellers. And yet, he could play the perfect straight man, as he did to both Sid Caesar and Brooks. He was not the antic genius that Sid was, but, like Sid, he was a comic of a gone era, finding humor more in deflating over-sized egos than bruising fragile sensitivities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stiller, Sheens, then you can add Goldie Hawn and Kate Hudson, there's some good'uns!

But I think I agree, not many can match the Reiners in terms of accomplishments and success.

Edit: HOW COULD I FORGET THE BRIDGES - Lloyd and Jeff!
How could you forget Beau Bridges?

Reaction Score
He brought us Navin R. Johnson, for that alone he's a legend.

jerk3.png

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Watched the Dick van Dyke show growing up on TVLand (90s baby).
But Carl Reiner brought the Ocean's movies and a Comedy Central Roast appearance to my generation.

A true icon. RIP

I just read an article saying he fronted for blacklisted writers for the Dick Van Dyke show.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I feel like I have a personal connection to Carl Reiner. My mother went into labor with me the night the Dick Van Dyke episode was about when Rob tells Mel about the time he thought he brought home the wrong baby from the hospital. My father played 2000 Year Old Man LP for me many times. Too bad his last work was with that douchenozzle Charlie Sheen. At least Carl stole the show in the Two and a Half Men episodes he appeared in. RIP.

Reaction Score
Just watched Summer Rental with John Candy and Rip Torn (Reiner directed it) just a few days ago and was remarking to my 13 year old that it sucks how a majority of the cast of a movie I grew up watching as passed away ALTHOUGH the director, Carl Reiner, is still alive at 98 years old. Guy was comedic gold, RIP

Reaction Score

Another recent death but the Stillers. I'm also not the one to answer because I know basically none of the parent ends of these

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom