Sacred Heart Series 2/28 & 3/1... | The Boneyard

Sacred Heart Series 2/28 & 3/1...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCONN is on the "road" to finish the season against SHU at the Milford Ice Pavalion Fri 2/28 at 7:05 pm and Sat 3/1 at 5:05 pm. It's a chance for those of us living in Fairfield and New Haven counties to catch a game. I'm going to try and make both games.

Reaction Score
The end of our regular season era in the Atlantic Hockey Association. Will be sad but very exciting days.

Reaction Score
These are really 2 games that UConn needs to take. Strange to finish with 2 on the road, but it is what it is, and given how they've played the last couple at home, maybe its a blessing. It will be really interesting to see who starts in goal. Sacred Heart is not a pushover either. they've really come on as the season has gone forward.

In some ways it is really significant that UConn ends its AHA run in the Milford ice Pavilion. SHU is one of the few D1 teams without its own arena. In the early days of the MAAC, the AHA's predecessor, many, if not most teams played in public rinks. This will likely be the last time UConn plays in such a facility, at least in the regular season.

Reaction Score
Excellent finish. Latta showed skill and poise tonight. Very impressive.

Reaction Score
We absolutely should maintain rivalries with some of these AHA schools. SHU was playing dirty and hard. They almost had us. I heard SHU is close to having enough funds for a rink.

Reaction Score
GREAT game...my thoughts after thinking about what I saw on my ride home. Thought UCONN played well in spurts/coasted a lot too. I sat across from UCONN bench and watched Cav a bit during what I thought was coasting/sloppy play...arms crossed, not happy at times. Thought they let the SHU hanger get too many breaks early, changes by coaching staff took them away late, they responded when SHU put puck in the net. Killing off Segalla's 5 min major was HUGE...but losing him for the rest of the game definitely hurt. Koonas is going to be a very good player by the time he is a SR...he and Segalla will give us a very good first pair D. Most impressionable moment: With :50 left and UCONN heading to take face-off in SHU zone down 1 and the goalie pulled..Mike Souza yelled out to the guys on the ice "there is a lot of time left guys...take your time"..they end up scoring after that face-off to tie the game. They kept up the pressure in OT and just kept after it until the puck went in the net for the game winner. I thought SHU was very physical...and UCONN kept their cool.
After watching the game tonight, seeing our big men pushed around in basketball games, and seeing the bench press numbers of Yawin Smallwood in the combine I am convinced that letting Jerry Martin go and replacing him with Matt Balis was the right move. I thought SHU was the physically stronger team on the ice tonight...I am interested to see how the change in strength coaching helps the other programs besides football. They need the 2 points tomorrow night too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SHU brought their "A" game. They wanted this one very, very badly. Would have been nice if they played with this intensity all season long.

Reaction Score
Some impressions after watching 1 game up close.

I'd like to see our D clobber a couple of guys with their heads down or at least anticipate passes near the blue line a little better. They were uncontested too often going in. We love to poke check. Our goalie maybe could have steered the puck behind the net before the third period faceoff and goal against rather than freezing. A lot of goalies do that even with a defenseman available for possession and it cost us for sure. Faceoffs are rolling the dice. We play a little predictably going into the zone spread outside on almost every rush. Makes it easy for the D. SHU always looking to break behind with diagonal rushes and create opportunities. Sticking to the system but not creating mismatches very often was our motto. We have some grinders but maybe not that many to make it work consistently.

The guys played with heart within a structure but could still be more physical. A nice win so let's see how things play out. Sometimes coaches play a certain way based on system or talent evaluation. Tonight it worked but they had us on the ropes. There was no quit and we skated hard all night.

Reaction Score
Photo0906.jpg

Reaction Score
UConn clinched a first round bye with last night's win. Today UConn needs at least a tie to clinch the third seed or a win and a Bentley loss to get the second seed since Bentley holds the tiebreaker. AIC is playing terribly so it does not look good for the second seed.

Sacred Heart needs a new place to play desperately. The Milford Ice Pavilion is not a place any Division 1 school should be playing at.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak