Sabrina Unanimous AP POY / Dawn COY | The Boneyard

Sabrina Unanimous AP POY / Dawn COY

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Great to hear. When does the WBCA get announced...?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well deserved recognition to both Sabrina and Dawn.

Having said that, Dawn's continued "hold out my hand for the National Championship" is beyond the pale of bad taste. It's ignorant, low class, selfish, self-serving, and a total reflection of her character. SC fans should be ashamed of the behavior of their head coach.

I also think she should be fired as the US National head coach. I realize that may be controversial, but the National Team, more than any other in women's basketball, is all about selflessness, and actions made for the best interest of the team. Dawn's behavior shows she has no interest in embodying those characteristics, nor embracing that mentality. I believe she's unfit, and undeserving of the honor of US National Team head coach.
I'm sorry Eric, but did I miss something that Dawn said? I'm not trying to be coy or condescending, I just don't remember any like what you've related.

Reaction Score
Well deserved recognition to both Sabrina and Dawn.

Having said that, Dawn's continued "hold out my hand for the National Championship" is beyond the pale of bad taste. It's ignorant, low class, selfish, self-serving, and a total reflection of her character. SC fans should be ashamed of the behavior of their head coach.

I also think she should be fired as the US National head coach. I realize that may be controversial, but the National Team, more than any other in women's basketball, is all about selflessness, and actions made for the best interest of the team. Dawn's behavior shows she has no interest in embodying those characteristics, nor embracing that mentality. I believe she's unfit, and undeserving of the honor of US National Team head coach.
Your response is way over the top. Beyond the pale of bad taste? Ignorant? Low class? I don't think you would use those terms of Kelly Graves took the position that his team should be considered national champions. I wonder what it is about Dawn that triggers such vitriol?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The way the thread is titled may lead { at least this is the way I read it :oops: ) to the conclusion that Dawn was a unanimous COY selection. Apparently, she received 20 / 30 votes which is still a lot more than our BY Poll would have given.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm sorry Eric, but did I miss something that Dawn said? I'm not trying to be coy or condescending, I just don't remember any like what you've related.
She was just interviewed by Kornblut on SportsTalk. The article was posted today. This is the 4th or 5th time she's talked about her team deserving to be declared National Champion. Head bang

Absolutely,” Staley said when asked by SportsTalk’s Phil Kornblut if she was ready to declare USC the national champion. “I mean, we couldn’t have an NCAA tournament. And you go to the next best thing, which is your polls. I mean that’s what we’ve been judged by all season long. Some people didn’t have us at number one, some people still don’t have us as number one, but the majority, the majority of people have watched and the majority of people have voted, declared as the number one team in the country. Why not?”

The classy answer would have been something like "We feel like we were in a good position to win it all. But the tournament was cancelled and therefore, there is no national champion. We will have to be content to have ended the season ranked #1"

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Coach Staley has rubbed me wrong for a long time. Seems to have a chip on her shoulder a mile wide and a confrontational nature. This begging to be declared the National Champ has certainly caused me to like her even less than I did before. She's done a great job of building the South Carolina program, they had an excellent season, she has every reason to be proud of her team. But THEY DID NOT WIN A TITLE! There were a number of other very good teams they would've had to gone through. They didn't. End of story. Quit begging Dawn, it's unbecoming of a grown woman.

Reaction Score
You can say a team finished #1 in the polls and hang a banner for that reason. I don't see how you can declare yourself a national champion when there was no tournament. It seems to me there were a few times in recent years that UCONN went into the tournament a favorite and twice came out on the losing end in the FF. Anyway, who really cares today? Maybe SC fans and few others on this board. Not really important, is it? Who do you thank? Think about it.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Coach Staley has rubbed me wrong for a long time. Seems to have a chip on her shoulder a mile wide and a confrontational nature. This begging to be declared the National Champ has certainly caused me to like her even less than I did before. She's done a great job of building the South Carolina program, they had an excellent season, she has every reason to be proud of her team. But THEY DID NOT WIN A TITLE! There were a number of other very good teams they would've had to gone through. They didn't. End of story. Quit begging Dawn, it's unbecoming of a grown woman.

Doubt she reads this board.... so here you go :cool:

Dawn Staley

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
All the ridiculous phantom title stuff aside, she 100% deserved this award. She did a great job this season. I'd feel happier for her if she stopped yammering about why she deserves a title without playing a tournament.

Reaction Score
Agree with you as to NC but Dawn is a great coach and even better person.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom