Sabrina Ionescu | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sabrina Ionescu

Reaction Score
Exactly. It's difficult for me to understand how anyone who has watched Ionescu game after game throughout her career (as I have) doesn't see this. In a recent poll of Division One coaches Ionescu was the leading choice as the current player around whom to build a team from scratch. That wasn't an accident. There is no one playing women's college basketball today who does more for her team.
Part of that is because she has 2 years left. Regardless, yes. She is very special. I’m not taking her over our 2 seniors here, though. Team USA solidified that for me. Many college stars fail because the entire system is ran for them & they have the ultimate green light. It’s taken Kelsey Plum some time. Kelsey Mitchell struggled this season. I hope Sabrina wont experience the same but make no mistake. She is a college Star!

Reaction Score
Preface: I know we can't discuss politics, but this isn't so much politics as accepted etiquette.

In politics it is customary for the loser to concede before the winner claims victory.

So the only guideline I have on when starters should be removed from a game (that has already been decided) is when the other team removes their starters (concedes). Only then should you remove your starters.

The reason for this is there are some opposition coaches who try to reduce the margin of victory by leaving their starters in the game (even after it has been decided) so they can claim they won the second half / last quarter.

Now for my team, I would prefer they did it before then (why risk an injury), but I would only care if they left them in after that point.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Louisville made a website this year for Asia Durr, promoting her for awards. I think South Carolina did something similar for A'ja last year, but I could be wrong. I think it's fine to promote your players, but it's quite different from trying to rack up their stats outside of the flow of the game so they'll be more likely to win awards.
They all do it. Or a variation of it (posters, ads, etc.) . Rutgers did it for Pondexter, Prince, etc. in the day for various awards or maybe just All-American.

Reaction Score
Sabrina will go down as one of the best to play WCBB with these triple doubles. Record books already have her name in it .

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
It isn’t the job of a coach to hold down the score or the stats. You don’t like it when somebody is crushing you on the scoreboard? Play better defense.

Reaction Score
It isn’t the job of a coach to hold down the score or the stats. You don’t like it when somebody is crushing you on the scoreboard? Play better defense.

I don't think that's the point. Basketball is a game where the objective is to win. The stats simply show how that happened. Putting a player on the floor simply to pursue individual stats when the game is decided is to pursue an objective other than to win the game. And sends a bad message about priorities and sportsmanship to all involved.

Reaction Score
Sabrina is a rare talent for sure. I can't believe there is anyone who follows NCAA WBB that would see it differently. If you have watched her play, she does everything exceptionally well. I can't say she is the best 1-on-1 defender I've seen, but she does understand team defense, and, possesses basketball instincts that other players don't demonstrate each time they step on the court. I am looking forward to the OSU vs UO games this year. I think they will be epic games this year.

Reaction Score
Sabrina is a rare talent for sure. I can't believe there is anyone who follows NCAA WBB that would see it differently. If you have watched her play, she does everything exceptionally well. I can't say she is the best 1-on-1 defender I've seen, but she does understand team defense, and, possesses basketball instincts that other players don't demonstrate each time they step on the court. I am looking forward to the OSU vs UO games this year. I think they will be epic games this year.
Sabrina is not quick, not particularly fast, but she realizes that and plays within her physical abilities. She is an elite three point shooter and big and physical enough to be effective in the lane including rebounding. Her greatest attribute is her vision and her uncanny ability to feed a teammate at just the right time and location. She’s not quick, but she has a good enough first step that she can typically get a shoulder by her defender forcing someone to help which leads to an easy drop off assist to Hebard, Sabally or someone else. She is just fun to watch.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
NWHoopFan2, it's gonna take me a while to get used to seeing you on this board. I see your handle and think to myself "I don't remember posting on that thread." At least your avatar is different than mine.

Reaction Score
NWHoopFan2, it's gonna take me a while to get used to seeing you on this board. I see your handle and think to myself "I don't remember posting on that thread." At least your avatar is different than mine.
I don’t mean any disrespect. Oregon State is a great program and I root for them all the time if they aren’t playing Oregon. I will admit I’m not very creative so I just built my user name off of yours. Sorry about that. I hope the two Oregon teams dominate the conference season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I was raised to dislike UO in general, but have to admit I admire what Graves has done with the program and they are an entertaining team to watch. I like KG from his time at Gonzaga as well.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was raised to dislike UO in general, but have to admit I admire what Graves has done with the program and they are an entertaining team to watch. I like KG from his time at Gonzaga as well.

Are you any kin to the poster above you?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the reply. I’ve been a Beaver fan for a long time since my father graduated from Oregon State, I always loved watching the Ralph Miller coached men’s basketball teams.

I chose to go to Oregon because of the relative strengths of certain academic disciplines at the time. As a result I’m a Duck fan first, but then a Beaver fan. And I think Scott Rueck is an incredible coach {and he’s under paid}. I wish you and the Beavers all the best this season.

Reaction Score
I will say that it is sad that anyone can say they were raised to dislike an instution of higher education. This is about more than sports.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I will say that it is sad that anyone can say they were raised to dislike an instution of higher education. This is about more than sports.

Ah, sports rivalries are all in good fun. My parents and several uncles and cousins went to OSU, although I didn't. I have some family friends that are diehard Duck fans. There has been plenty of good natured teasing back and forth over the years.

Reaction Score
Since this seems to be an increasingly frequent refrain here, I'd like to provide a different perspective by pointing out that context matters.

Oregon has a 9-player roster this year and 4 of the 9 either did not play last year (Boley, Chavez, Yaeger) or played very limited minutes due to injury (Giomi). There are only 4 guards--one of them a freshman (Chavez), another a redshirt sophomore (Yaeger), who was out for all of 2017-18 due to a back injury. They played 29 minutes between them Sunday, with the team that was on the floor for most of the 4th quarter consisting of one veteran guard (either Cazorla or Ionescu) and 4 "newbies." That seems to me entirely reasonable if one wants to develop a bench without inviting chaos on the court. Graves is in fact much more inclined to use (and forgiving of) his bench than Geno

There are also aspects of Ionescu’s situation that probably make it somewhat easier for her to accomplish what she's accomplished. If she played on a team with the talent level of, say, UCONN, or even one full of MacDonald's All-Americans, her minutes would obviously be less and the team less dependent upon her overall. And although she is a terrific rebounder for her size, there would surely be fewer rebounds for her to gather if she were on a team that was stronger on the boards than the Ducks. Her assist totals would likely also be lower if her teammates didn't shoot as well from 3 and/or someone with Ruthy Hebard’s hands and accuracy weren't around inside.

The coaches and fans do keep tabs on her stats—and why wouldn't they? I have a hazy memory of another coach even bringing a star player out on crutches so that she could establish a scoring record. I suspect that same coach might not have done that had his program (at that point) had a longer track record of excellence, but during those (relatively) early years he seems to have felt that it was important to pay tribute in a very public way to what that player had done during her career. At this point Oregon hardly has any track record at all, and giving Ionescu some extra minutes when she’s over the hump in two areas and very close in another (surely a major accomplishment in itself) is one way of saying “thank you” for what she has done/is doing for the program in Eugene.

But the above is finally, I believe, not the whole story. Although there are a lot of players who play a lot of minutes—and in blowouts—there don’t seem to be a lot of triple doubles being recorded. (For example,Asia Durr played 38 minutes in Louisville's recent 19 pt. victory over Boise State.) Ionescu averaged about 35 minutes last year and 33 the year before. That’s a lot, but there were others in the ballpark. During UCONN’s 2017-18 season Kia Nurse averaged 32 minutes--less than Ionescu but also during a season involving a greater number of blowouts--and by greater margins I suspect--than Ionescu’s. Now, before someone jumps in, I don't say this to denigrate Kia's accomplishments and contributions (defense, for one thing, hardly one of Ionescu’s strong suits); there were obviously very good reasons for keeping her on the court for that many minutes. But I do think it's important to recognize that Ionescu has a skill set that is remarkable, worthy of recognition, and, more importantly, crucial to the success of her team.

One more reason might be the publicity her stats garner is good for the school's name recognition and thus a boost to recruiting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom